<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Banned

Re: anyone think les pauls are overrated?

it depends on what you like
I never liked them, the set up was bad
no trem, only 2 pickups that sounded dull at that,
and tooooo heavy.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:29 AM

LPs are overrated by those narrow minded enough never to have played anything else.
LPs are underrated by those narrow minded enough never to have played one and judged it for what it is.

It's just a guitar, it has good points and bad points, all of which are entirely subjective. Gibson QC has, at various times, sucked. So has Ibanez's and probably every other guitar mass producer.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 AM

Reviews: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
LPs are overrated by those narrow minded enough never to have played anything else.
LPs are underrated by those narrow minded enough never to have played one and judged it for what it is.

It's just a guitar, it has good points and bad points, all of which are entirely subjective. Gibson QC has, at various times, sucked. So has Ibanez's and probably every other guitar mass producer.
Very well put!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Reviews: 1

Overall, yes, I think they are overrated. But in the same way that Hendrix is.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 AM

Reviews: 20

I used to get the same thing in high school, and still do. Don't sweat it! It all boils down to personal preference. If you like Ibanez over a LP (or vice-versa) then that's how it is. If your friends can't see that then they're a bunch of poseurs! You don't play a certain kind of guitar just to make your friends or others happy. Play what you like because it's comfortable and makes YOU happy.
Good luck!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:08 AM

Reviews: 37
Cool

les paul is for rednecks and they stay in tune for a half ofg a note they suck.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 AM

I had a Gibson classic a good couple of years ago. It was lovely it really was. The slim 60's neck was really comfortable for me. I sold it because the upper access to frets was crap and the bridge etc.
Now ive got a 89 77fp and i will never look at anything other than a jem i love em. They are perfect for my style and quite universal
I hate how all wannabeee rockers end up getting a les paul because thats what they see slash playing or who ever and for that reason they think that nothing is better.
At the end if the day ive tried loads of guitars to find the ones i really love now ive found em thats what ill stay with.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Over the years LP has had an issue with the headstock breaking off... how nice is that for a $2000 guitar?? I suggest reading **************.com rants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoon View Post
So today, i was at school. I told some of my guitar friends that i was getting a new guitar. They asked me which guitar that was. I said it was a high end rg (rg750) and it was awsome. one of them said, "dude get a les paul! ibanezes suck!" and all of them kept nagging me about how gibson les pauls have a really good tone and how american guitars are really awsome and stuff. Now im not against gibsons or american made guitars. However i have heard their quality control has been bad recently. Also saying "les pauls" are the best is really, really biased, cuz umm although they are good guitars, there are others that are good out there. Dont you think les pauls are overrated? I dont mean bad. I dont mean overpriced. I mean OVERRATED?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 2

If Gibson Les Pauls WEREN'T overrated people would stop buying them after forking over 2-5000 bucks for guitar with glaring defects everywhere from electronics, the neck, the finish, and the general stability of the instrument for over a decade.

I'd like someone to come up with something that is actually more overrated than an LP...
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post

i have played a les paul studio and a les paul standard. i find them pretty awsome, but i find other brands such as prs beat them by a long shot. now i know prs are overly expensive, but at least you get what you pay for.

and to all of you, again, im not comparing les pauls to ibanezes.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 2

Well I really like Les pauls, and I really like Ibanez's they both have their own pros and cons.

For metal (and I play mostly metal) Les paul blows the Ibanez (overall tone is better too)
For playability Ibanez is unbeatable, and sounds good too.

I use both of them in my band.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM

Reviews: 1

I think for what you are getting gibsons re overpriced. Not overrated as such. Personally I'm a fender guy anyway I've had 2 Les pauls and never bonded with them at all, and ibanez has based most of it's successful range on the strat so that's why I feel more comfortable with them.

End of the day it's what YOU like if he says Les pauls are better then let him say that then show his ability up when he tries to play with you !
Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMDUDE70 View Post
Over the years LP has had an issue with the headstock breaking off... how nice is that for a $2000 guitar?? I suggest reading **************.com rants.
I was 2 for 2 with this problem and will never purchase a Les again. If someone were to gift me one, I'd immediately list it for sale or trade.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
I think for what you are getting gibsons re overpriced. Not overrated as such. Personally I'm a fender guy anyway I've had 2 Les pauls and never bonded with them at all, and ibanez has based most of it's successful range on the strat so that's why I feel more comfortable with them.

End of the day it's what YOU like if he says Les pauls are better then let him say that then show his ability up when he tries to play with you !
those guys (except one) dont know what an "esp" is.
they dont know what "gibson les paul junior" is.
its really stupid people who dont know anything other than fender and gibson that annoy me.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM

WHo cares what they think. Buy the damned guitar, play the **** out of it and show them up with skill. If they still throw crap at you for playing an ibanez just say 'well ok, so you're saying that even with ****ty equipment I sound way better than you?'

Tags
expensive, gibson, les paul, losers, overrated

Show/Hide Posting Rules