Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Polaris20 
#1 ·
hey! i have a little extra money and i'm looking for a cheap guitar. obviously i don't expect a great sounding guitar, tuning stability is all that i want. i've been looking at epiphones and i really don't know how they make them so cheap. i understand the electronics have to be replaced, but the construction seems very good. my other option is getting an 80's kramer that has more dings than finish and painting it.......you guessed: vh red-white-black stripes. I also would like to get an Iceman, but i can't find one here, and buying from the US would kill the 'cheapo' concept.

#3 ·
Cheapo guitars

The hardtail (or blocked trem ;) ) Squires are pretty good if you swap out the pickups. I say, buy a Squire hardtail (maybe even the long-scale model) and swap out the pickups. Make it a project/experimental guitar. Anything you wanted to try, do it to this guitar. Heck, even if it sounds like crap, and plays like crap, you've got your own "Lasher". :biggrin:

#7 ·
Cheapo guitars

LoL nuno n trouble, i wouldnt be caught dead with an eddie striped guitar lol

personally, i love the yamaha pacifica for the price. its a fair guitar in itself, and its solid alder. so its not much different from american strats. just replace the el cheapo trem on it, shave the neck to perfection (if need be) and swap out the pickups and youve got one seriously hot guitar.
MF has one right now for 129. cant beat that!!

OTOH i think an RG170 for around 250ish, or the ibanez Ax120 for 300 are good choices too.

#10 ·
Cheapo guitars

the best of my cheapos is a Yamaha RGX121DM:

- RGX body shape
- H/S/H + vol/tone + 5-way
- Fend*r-like trem (i don't use it)
- alder body/maple neck/maple board
- cherry stained finish (no gloss)
- $100

she plays great, very comfy and a sleek neck (not as a Wizzy but hey!) she also looks great, very detailed routings and an amazing finish. simply great.
i also play her for those '80s moments... *sniff*

nuno

(Edited by nuno at 7:50 am on Feb. 11, 2002)

#15 ·
Cheapo guitars

7 Dying Trees,
why did you say 'unfortunately'? at the contrary: that's a fortune!!!
i'd love to go to a shop and find a '86 Kramer for around $150!!! what do you want more?
i don't give a hell about what the collectors think of a '86 Kramer, i just love her!
all of my Ibys are from '86/'88, the best moment in Ibanez story, to me: their value is under my feet, but i love'em like sons!

#16 ·
Cheapo guitars

Personally, I like the pre-ESP Kramers. 83 was my favorite. Missed a $150 one a couple months back, but heck, I'da probably resold it anyhow...

As for IBZ, 88-93 were all good. They improved some models, dropped some other good ones. After '93 I'm less enthused, except for the SC models...

#17 ·
Cheapo guitars

RG570!! $600 and you still get the Edge trem, plus with some pickups and pot replacements you have a really cool guitar. Seen the new RB metallic finish? Anyway, you can pick one up on Evilbay cheap. I have 4 of them now. You can find them on Evilbay for aroun $250-$300 and mod the crap out of them! :) And they go well with a 7620 that you can treat the same!!

P.S. Plus you don't feel bad changing something like I would on a jem.......tight a$$.......that's me

#21 ·
Cheapo guitars

i love my cheapo GAX, after thePU facelift, i love it even more! i've told people that i love this one better than my p-90 equipped Les Paul & they thought i was out of my mind... well i guess have set up this one well & it sounds great, so what's wrong if it's cheap & made in Indonesia?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.