Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Dean Guitars? Gibson V?

12K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  yzerman 
#1 ·
Anyone played the USA model Deans? Like the ML1ooo's? I really like the looks of them, and I hear the necks are awesome and I need a good metal type guitar.. I'm looking at these or the V by Dean made in the USA as well, or a Gibson V. I like the Deans, but I like the Gibson's too.. I'm also checking out the Japanese ESP Eclipse which I really like.. Hard choices. I need a short scaled Set neck guitar with a floyd basically, or that's what I'm wanting..

Any opinions on the above would be helpful. .
Thanks
Tim

#2 ·
I never liked the deans that I have played. I would take a Gibson over them depending on the neck which varies from model to model and year to year. You should play one of these odd shaped guitars before you buy though. They can be a pain in the butt especially when sitting.

#3 ·
Hi Jimmie,

I'm leaning toward a Gibson V, but I've felt some that were awkward to say the least. I hate some of the Gibson SG's I've played because they were neck heavy. That said, I loved the sound of them. I also love the V's by Gibson. I'm hoping to find one of the Gibson V's that will be easy enough to play standing up. I hope to get one and alter it to my needs. I want jumbo frets, etc, and that's why I was looking at thhe Deans. Some of them have these features already.. I really like the looks of the Dean ML1000 which is made in the US. It has ebony freboard, medium jumbo frets, etc, etc,.. floyd rose. Real floyd, etc,..
Thanks jimmie..
Tim

#5 ·
DM,
Thanks. Yeah, I've not played but a couple deans that were made in the US, those were back in the day. They were very good from what I remember. I noticed that the new ML 1000 dean made in the states says that it has a V shaped neck which I really like.. Just feels good to me.. I think I'll like it's feel better than the GIbby, but won't know until I try. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.. Thanks so much..
Tim

#8 ·
There's no comparison if your talking about the original Dean guitars from '77-'86. The ML, V, and Z's were unbelievably well built when Dean Z was still doing it, by hand, himself. I play my best friends '81 Z whenever I get the chance...... there's nothing else like it in the world.

Armadillo enterprises has owned Dean since '97. Other than a select few model, most have only been a shadow of the originals......The '79 re-issues and the Time-capsules stood out as "Real Dean's" in an otherwise Asian produced, ho-hum line-up. Obviously I have NO problem with Asian guitars, but Dean had no intention of doing the same type of quality that we have always seen coming from Fuji made guitars.

On the up-side: Pretty much every guitar Dean has put out (excluding signatures and starter series guitars) have been a really good value. They're directly comparable to the RG3xx/4xx guitars in terms of quality-value ratio, but they didn't ever have the crappy Lo-TRSII/EdgeIII trem problems that the Ibanez's did........Most came with solid dependable TOM's.

If I were looking for a new Dean today, I would only be looking at the DCR series ML or Z. For $1200 you get a TON of USA made quality along with an OFR (reported to be a true German Schaller model) Solid Mahogany body, Mahogany neck, Ebony board, Pearl dots, Set V-carve neck, EMG 81-85 pups with mid-boost and a numbered series-2 headstock (there's only 100 of each being made) It also comes with a killer hard case!!!!

Just my 2 cents though...........LOL

#9 ·
RGT,

Thanks so much man. I really appreciate it. It's funny, I'm so old that whhen I was a kid the guitarist from the John Cougar band is from my hometown. His mother had a music store and he sold a Dean V that I had the chance to buy back then at like 500 bucks. I remember kicking myself because I didnt' buy it. It just rocked. I remember the bridge pickup was made for Larry by Larry Dimarzio back then. That would have been in like 1980 or there about.. Anyway, I love the Deans as far as features from what I can tell, and I agree about the American made Deans. The DCR series is the main one I'm looking at. I love the Stealth model. Man, I love them all.. I did also look at the ML modifier, but it has the cheaper Floyd. I wish they had the USA made with a string thru or TOM bridge model as well, if nothing else to see how much difference there is in price. I have a good jap made Jackson with a floyd.. for the whammy stuff..
What ever happened to the Checz model deans? I remember back in the early 2k years I think it was, that I saw a couple models made in Checz. They looked killer, but then right afterward they were not made there any longer.
Are any of the TOM bridge ML type guitars made in Asia decent? Set neck models I mean? Either the ML or V's? I'm after the latter probably.. but love both.. Thanks man..
Tim

#14 ·
Agreed. You need to play the guitar if you're seriously considering buying, but if you buy online this isn't always possible. For me, I can't buy the same guitar locally that I can get online most of the time because I live in the boonies... between Indy and Lousville. Right in the middle of both. This means I have to go to one or more stores in Indy to just see a good Dean, and even then I probably won't see what I want. But, I guess they do have return policies if you get something that's kinda expensive and don't like it.

I know the other older US deans I've played that had that V neck with Ebony board played great to me. I know I just loved playing it. That said, I'm also a huge Gibson fan. I've had several Gibbie Studios and always loved them.. Sold them when I was young or traded for Kramers and the latest pointy things back then.. LOL DUMB!

I'm currently looking at the Gibson Special I think it is with Two Humbuckers and no binding, etc, just Mahagony body and neck, etc.. The newer Gibbies also have the bodies hollowed out a bit for weight reduction and I've played one recently and it gives the guitar a great ES335 type sound to me. I love
it.. I know where I can play these guitars at a dealer that's only about 30 miles from here and he has a couple. I played a yellow one, and it's ugly, but man the frets are done by that machine, can't think of the name of it, and the nut is also;. The guitar weighed nothing compared to older Gibbies and it sounded great. I'd change out the pups to something better and more PAFish such as Dimarzio's PAF Pro's or 36 anniversary models, etc,. and I think I'd be set, and I can get all of that under 850 bucks I think. Guitar, Pups, etc,..
Regards
Tim

#16 ·
At first Vs can be a bit awkward when sitting, but you get used to having the V sit between your legs and just extend your fretting hand up the neck a bit. In that position, I find that my hands are in a more normal position like playing standing up with the neck facing at an upward angle. When playing sitting, they are great for muting, in my opinion.

I have played Deans and they are good to me. And I'm a Gibson guy...

Insofar as SGs, none of mine are neck heavy. I had an epi 400 some time ago that was, but none of my gibsons are. they play amazing, and the tone is great...

On the Vs, I'd go with whatever plays well for you but you can't go wrong with a Gibson.

#17 ·
Thanks DeathbyG.
I agree. It's a load of fun to go looking for guitars to own! LOL.. I'm glad I don't have a ton of money as I'd have to buy three houses to house guitars if I did! That said, just a few more guitars would be cool! LOL. I just want enough for every tone I hear in my head..LOL

#24 ·

Love these guitars, but that headstock is a serious mismatch for that body!!! reminds me of Albert Kings Gibby V "Lucy".........LOL

@Hoosier- I got the chance to play a new Dean USA Z "Time Capsule". Other than the "DMT" pickups, this guitar is 100% faithful to the original, built by Dean Z, guitars. The originals had DiMarzio super distortions. This guitar was a dream to play. Far outpaced the new Epi and Gibby Explorers that I've played recently. The "V" shaped neck was dead-on...............

#25 ·
Man, I didn't want to say it, but you're right on with the Head stock being a mis match. It just doesn't do justice to the rest of the V. Otherwise, I love it that it's made of Korina, etc, and the features..

That said, I'm a huge Dean lover at least with the first US deans I saw in mthe 70's and 80's. I always had a thing for those guitars. I had the chance many, many years ago to get a Dean V by the guitarist for John Cougar Melloncamp (Larry Crane) who is from my hometown of Seymour In, and his mother had a guitar shop here. He used to teach there, and he sold a Dean V to a friend of mine that had a custom pickup made by Larry Dimarzio (he told me that anyway) in it. I wanted that guitar, but it was too much money at the time at like 500 bucks, and I didn't like the color which was RED!!!! Man, I'd give twice that much for it now in a second..LOL

Anyway, I loved that guitar.. Dean had this other USA guitar that's all black with a Real Floyd made in the stats and I can't remember the name of it, but it was all black with cool chrome pickups and hardware. I wish I could fine one because they were not that expensive for an American guitar made by Dean really. Just looked cool too, but the clincher for me is those necks! That V neck just fits me.. and all V's are cool.. :)

#26 ·
Couple of quick notes on the Volcano:

- Agreed...however, this is a computer mockup, I'll post some actual photos closer to NAMM. In person, the headstock doesn't seem quite so large..
- ...and - we like it. The sides taper "in" to the end, like the V body. It works in person, trust me..

#28 ·
Thanks Khas. I'll have to check them out. Were are those guitars made my I ask? I see they are at least setup in the states it looks like. I love the Raised center section. Hope it's ok to ask those questions here.. If not, someone please tell me and I"ll ask in private.. Just wondering though.> :)

#29 ·
It's ok to talk about it in your own thread. Ken is a great guy (Khaas) that I'm sure will be glad to share what info he can, being that were still pre-namm.

When it comes to Reverend guitars, don't read too much into their point of manufacture. They're incredibly well built guitars, with QC and customer service departments that are second to none. If you have interest in ANY models, they're MORE than worth taking a few good looks at.

#31 ·
I got the chance to take a Sensei HB-FM for a drive last week. I gotta say that it really made me a believer in your guitars. I can't believe they're well under $1k. I was so impressed with the neck joint. It looked like it was going to be uncomfortable, but it wasn't. It felt perfect for my average size hands. I actually really liked the pickups too, and the on board bass contour was cool as hell. I wish there was a nice twin reverb delux around when I tried it out......... the only thing on hand was a crappy DSP modeling amp. Some kind of line-6 that I didn't feel like experimenting with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.