<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 08-21-2001, 02:24 AM

Dimarzio Pups - In an RG, but.......

Anyone try a Paf Pro or Fred in a mahogany RG body w/ all maple neck? Or just genral opinions on what you think about this idea? Thx.........
Old 08-21-2001, 12:15 PM

Dimarzio Pups

I put Evolutions in my RG520Q (Mahogany body with Rosewood neck) and they sound great

of course I'm one of those people who will tell you that your hands and the pickups have A LOT more to do with tone (along with type of amp and effects) than body type of wood or neck type of wood....so in other words if those pickups work with your hands and style of picking they could be great

personally speaking I like Evolutions and Breeds the best, but maybe thats just what works best for ME

(Edited by AJ Love at 12:16 pm on Aug. 21, 2001)
Old 08-21-2001, 12:38 PM

Dimarzio Pups

Quote:
Quote: from Scott 74 on 2:24 am on Aug. 21, 2001
Anyone try a Paf Pro or Fred in a mahogany RG body w/ all maple neck? Or just genral opinions on what you think about this idea? Thx.........
I think you'll find that the Paf Pro will be a very good choice for the Mahogany body. These pickups were designed to resemble, tonaly, the Paf pickups used in LP's and the like.

The Fred is would be another good choice for a Mahogany body, but I have not tried (heard) them.

The RG3120's use a Tone Zone that, imho, sounds fantastic. They also have a Paf Pro in the neck and it is truely yummy

J>:thumbsup:
Old 08-21-2001, 05:56 PM

Dimarzio Pups

IMO the PAF Pro sounds truly horrid on my RG3120. *Anyone got any suggestions for a replacement??

Air Norton?
H From Hell??
Breed Neck??

andy
Old 08-21-2001, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 1

Dimarzio Pups

I've got a mahogany bodied JS-6 which has the Fred/PAF Pro combo and it sounds great, a bit more bark and body to it than a basswood bodied guitar, not as smooth. Jeez I hate trying to put sounds into words.
But yes I like those pickups in a guitar with a mahogany body.

I've also tried a Fred/PAF pro in a basswood JEM and that worked great, just a little extra oomph in the bridge position and if anything more harmonics

Did that help at all?

Not really? - didn't think so
Old 08-21-2001, 06:47 PM

Dimarzio Pups

Andy, I agree, I didn't like the PAF Pro in the 3120 either...too bright or something. *I'd say an Air Norton...it would fatten up the tone. *Or maybe a IDmarzio PAF (non-Pro). *A HB from Hades would be very bright. *Breed?...hmmm?
Greg
Old 08-21-2001, 11:40 PM

Dimarzio Pups

Thx everyone for your responses. I'm finally settled on a RGR580, and I want to put some Dimarzios in it. I was thinking the Fred and Paf Pro, but since I still plan on getting a JS1000 someday I think I'm going to try a Tone Zone or maybe an Evo together.

Dot they sell jem single coils? Since the RG is H-S-H I really don't know what I can throw in for the single??? thx........................
Old 08-22-2001, 08:43 AM

Dimarzio Pups

They say the closest to the PAFPro-era Jem Single is an HS-2 run in single-coil mode. *Personally, I find the Jem single a little too weak and uninteresting on its own. *It is nice in the 2 and 4 positions though. *I really like the Blue Velvet. *It has more power and sounds great both by itself and in the split positions. *I'm probably going to replace the HS2 in my custom with a Blue Velvet. *Hope that helps!
Old 08-22-2001, 10:09 AM

Dimarzio Pups

I have a couple of 3120s and aslo hate the PAF-Pro. *But, It's the same problem Eddie Van Halen use to have. *I adjust my amp (triaxis + 2:90) using my bridge pickup, so that I have the perfect amount of treble, bass, mids, blah, blah. *But then when I switch over to the PAF-Pro it has way too much presence (high end). *Although, I can get a great sound out of the pickup (PAF-Pro).........I just have to deal with a muddy Tone Zone........ Soooo which pickup has to go....PAF-Pro
Old 08-22-2001, 04:05 PM

Dimarzio Pups

rkeeler, I was just thinking...could one put a capacitor into the circuit of the PAF Pro to roll off some of the highs? *Seems like I've heard of this being done. *Maybe someone in then tech section has experience with this.
Greg
Old 08-22-2001, 08:26 PM

Dimarzio Pups

Quote:
Quote: from Scott 74 on 11:40 pm on Aug. 21, 2001
Since the RG is H-S-H I really don't know what I can throw in for the single??? thx........................
I put a YJM in my RG. Sounded horrid at first, but I was using a Boss Metal Zone for my distortion at the time, which is not dynamic at all. Little while ago I got a DS-1 which cleans up better and sounds good with the slightly reduced output of the single coil.

Btw I have a Breed in the bridge and an Evo in the neck. Unbelievable harmonics, true to advertisement, and best of all, balance! The Breed bridge is not harshly trebly, and the Evo neck is not super-muddy. Great combination.

-Justin
Old 08-22-2001, 10:30 PM

Dimarzio Pups

I tried a bunch of things to make the PAF-Pro work for me: different pot values, different frequency ranges on the tone pot.
Nothing would quite do it. *So I changed my PAF-Pro out for an Air Norton. *Problem solved. * Another thing I couldn't stand about the PAF-Pro is it can't do a "reasonable" jazz tone if it's life depended upon it. *
Old 08-24-2001, 11:02 AM

Dimarzio Pups

The Paf Pro is more of a taste issue than anything. *But in my opinion it really shines in the neck position, its not really high enough output for the bridge. *That said its got a robust fat clean sound. *A way better clean sound than the evolution or breed, and it matches well with say a seymour duncan invader in the bridge
Old 10-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Re: Dimarzio Pups - In an RG, but.......

steve blucher(main pup designer for satch,VAI,EVH,etc)over at dimarzio
told me that if the paf pro is too bright and just not fat enough use the breed neck
this breed neck will work in the bridge or neck spot
steve vai wanted a ftter sounding paf pro in the neck spot for his jem so steve designed the breed neck
the breed bridge is more or less a even higher output version of the pro but it is not as classic toned but has more harmonics and bass
i must try these pups both the neck breed in the bridge first and then the breed bridge one cause i love paf pro but always wished they had more heat(output) and bass( low end rumble)
other than that the paf pro gets me sexually aroused! LOL!!!

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29