<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 03-13-2002, 01:44 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000 - WOW!!

I went to Guitar Center (newly opened) and played the JS1000 and the EBMM Petrucci. *I loved both. *They both play so well. *They have great necks and comfortable body profiles. *The only problem(which is a big problem) is that I can't decide which. *I am leaning towards getting a new Petrucci and a used JS1000. *I have to have both guitars. *The more rounded nature of the back of their necks is pure joy. *My flatter Carvin is starting to drive me nuts. *I will only play my Parker now(rounder neck). *The Petrucci and Satriani are much more similar. *The different radius dimensions weren't even noticed. *The different fret sizes weren't an issue either. *They both played so smooth. *I wish I had money for either right now. *I hate physical responsibility!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2002, 02:30 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

I would most definitely go for the EBMM JPM. *I love JS guitars, the shape, the look, and the fretboard and neck feel nice as well. *The only thing was when playing them side by side I noticed that the jpm suited my picking style a lot more comfortably, not only that but the heel joint allowed easier access to its 24 frets (instead of the js's 22.) *Another thing is that the knob placement is further from the bridge(just like the ibanez jpm) which allows more freedom of motion. Also The addition of sprezel locking tuners and a standard nut instead of a locking nut means that you would not have to carry allen wrenches everywhere you go. *I have to admit that I liked the js' bridge pu' better than the jpm but all of these other benefits I mentioned above combined with having the ability to get multiple nice metallic and/or pearl finishes sold me on the ebmm jpm. *Though all of this is MY opinion, I know making decisions about guitars is very difficult I hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:39 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

Each guitar had its own vibe that I really liked. *I liked the controls layout of the Petrucci a little more. *The pickups of the JS were warmer(at least in the bridge). *The Petrucci was tighter(Steve's Special). *The ultimate would be to have both. *I think that is what I will work towards. *That way I won't have to chose. *I still have to save up. *I wish my Carvin was worth an equal trade for either, but that is a dream that will never see the light of day.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:42 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

I vote for the EBMM - I love mine. *You'll never regret buying that guitar.
G
Old 03-13-2002, 03:11 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

Quote:
GuitarLunatic on 1:42 pm on Mar. 13, 2002
G

I could tell that right when I picked it up. *Same feeling I got when I played my Parker. *The only thing I don't like about my Fly Deluxe is the knob and switch placement. *Changing settings on a whim is not easy. *The Petrucci is much more practical and efficient in the way it is layed out.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:12 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

Quote:
shred4Him on 12:44 pm on Mar. 13, 2002
I hate physical responsibility!!!!!!!!!
Fiscal responsibility's a bitch, too!

Tough decision. My ideal guitar would be a combination of the two... a 7-string Petrucci with a JS body and control layout.

I wonder if Petrucci will ever ask for a fixed-bridge version.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:48 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

Both guitars have the best necks in business no doubt. Personally I love the neck of the JPM but prefer the lo-pro on the JS. Also the Fred tone sounds 'better' to me. But then, that's only my taste. Besides you can always switch pups later, so that's not an issue.

I'd personally see myself having both guitars at some stage (a JPM-7 and a JS). It's probably a matter of priorities, e.g. which one to get first. Yeah?

I'd take the JPM for now if you ask me. Hope that helps! :biggrin:

-Bill
Old 03-14-2002, 10:42 AM

Reviews: 3

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

I tried out a petrucci model the other day...i LOVED the neck on it...it was a raw type of feel...and really flat...i didn't dig the bridge pickup...i prefer a fatter tone like a tone zone or an evo...m.o...i've never really dug the js's...except for the look maybe...
Old 03-14-2002, 11:01 AM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

Quote:
shred4Him on 1:11 pm on Mar. 13, 2002
Quote:
G

I could tell that right when I picked it up. *Same feeling I got when I played my Parker. *The only thing I don't like about my Fly Deluxe is the knob and switch placement. *Changing settings on a whim is not easy. *The Petrucci is much more practical and efficient in the way it is layed out.
I concur completely, Fly Deluxe = simply amazing neck...best in the industry...but also = horrible control layout, completely in the way and switching pickups and piezo was just nearly impossible without bumping into something or completely falling down. *I sold it because of that alone. *After reading this thread, I am tempted to run down to my Local GC and play that EBJPM they have, but alas I am scared...I hate playing guitars that I can't buy. *I play sevens exclusively now, so if they ever get a seven stringer in, I'm in trouble.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:30 PM

EBMM JPM and the JS1000

Quote:
G
I agree. *I played one at GC and couldnt get my hands off of it. *And as i have said before in a few posts, i will NEVER buy a guitar with a floyd on it again. *This thing NEVER goes out of tune, and the floating trem works fine. *The body is super comfortable, and the trem is covered with a metal covering so its smooth on your hand. *The neck is amazing, the pickups, etc. *I cant say enough good things about this guitar. *

Also, if your looking to save money, try getting the stock one. *Sure the sexy paint and inlays and what not are nice, but you can get the low end one on ebay or something for around $1000ish and it plays just like the other ones =P *I got SUPER luckly and got the base model one, pearl red burst, with a tiny scratch on it for $850 including tax and case. *Best $850 i've ever spent.

Tags
allen wrench, allen wrenches, bridge pickup, ebmm jpm, ebmm petrucci, fret size, ibanez jpm, locking nut, locking tuners, petrucci model, playing guitar, tone zone

Show/Hide Posting Rules