Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Epiphone G-400..."Industrial Mahogany"???

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  linuxpenguin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just bought a black Epiphone G-400 (aka SG) for $200 at guitar center; which I came to think was actually a really good deal, considering the guitar is in perfect condition besides a few tiny scratches here and there..
Anyways, I was curious if anyone could explain to me the wood of the guitar. It is called mahogany, but I was reading it actually isn't a real mahogany, but "industrial mahogany" or "Indonesian mahogany". So can someone explain to me what exactly that means, how the wood compares to real mahogany, and the tonal property's, pros/cons...?

#6 ·
Well here is a statement from Wikipedia...

The Epiphone G-400 is made of Philippine/Indonesian mahogany (more commonly known as industrial mahogany), which is not actually related to the mahogany species.

and how do you mean by "farmed"
As in, people grown for mass consumption?

#9 ·
I guess its actually supposed to be "korina" which is very close to mahogany's tonal property's...not completely sure its that is fer sure the wood, but that is what I am reading.
But do you think $200 for the G-400 is a good deal either way. I know its still a budget guitar, but this thing looks brand new, and a new one is $350 and the MSRP is around $600, so I thought it was kind of a steal..(especially for a guitar center price)

#11 ·
Nahh no case. But there is no blemishes at all on this thing. just little surface scratches. Perfect neck, the wiring is fine, no screws missing and the finish is still a "mirror shine" I can see my face in it perfect; you can't even hardly see the wood pattern through the paint its so glossy and thick! lol

So still what the hell is this thing made out of then?! I would really love to know the exact wood...

#16 ·
I have an Ibanez RG321 which supposedly is also 'mahogany', while the color of the wood is similar to a the african mahogany body i got from Warmoth, there is absolutely no comparison regarding weight and strength. The RG body is so light that the guitar is quite neck heavy. But it plays and sounds ok.

#17 ·
Honduras/brazilian/american mahogany is the "Desired" type. African is a close second, depending on which manufacturer is using them. The bottom of the barrel are the asian variants of the mahogany, and thats where your cheaper crap comes from. Not "bad" but not honduras mahogany either. Id imagine this is their claim of "industrial" mahogany...

fwiw gibson uses honduras mahogany, PRS uses african on most, honduras on their private stock instruments, and a lot of the cheaper guitars claiming mahogany use asian variants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.