Ibanez JEM Forum banner

EVH Wolfgang USA.... shocked!

29K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Robbles 
#1 ·
Went into Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester NH yesterday and got talking to one of the sales guys who was obviously as much an EVH gear fan as I am. He pointed out the new USA EVH (by Fender) Wolfgangs up on the wall behind the counter, so I checked it out to see if it has the same gorgeous feel of the original EBMM EVH's. I was horrified... this thing had a price tag of nearly $3K and not only was the neck not even a decent grade of maple (never mind no birdseye etc) but the frets weren't even close to being rounded off. If I had run my fingers up the side of the fretboard more than once, they would have drawn blood. I am not joking! I can honestly say that I have never seen frets as bad as this on anything, even cheap Chinese instruments of the early 90's, never mind a so-called high end USA made guitar. The Korean Wolfgangs they had weren't any better either, but still toting a price tag that could choke. How can Fender even think about letting this stuff get out to retail in that state? All their USA Wolfgangs were as bad as each other, and the sales guy said that they were working their way through them to get the frets rounded off.

You'd have to be an idiot to buy one of these things! Do your self a favor and buy an original Ernie Ball Musicman EVH for the same money and get not only a sound investment as they're only ever going to go up in value, but also one of the finest stock guitars ever produced. Period.

Music Man, I salute you for your outstanding quality and craftsmentship.

Fender EVH Wolfgang = Epic Fail !

See less See more
#6 ·
I had been looking forward to checking one out. A total disappointment, although I have to admit that I didn't get as far as plugging it in. Maybe the sound would have been some kind of redeeming factor, but it had already failed at first touch. The cheaper version is MIJ? The Daddy's dude said Korean, so my bad, and even more, his, and in that case, even more shocking.

#4 ·
Went into Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester NH yesterday and got talking to one of the sales guys who was obviously as much an EVH gear fan as I am. He pointed out the new USA EVH (by Fender) Wolfgangs up on the wall behind the counter, so I checked it out to see if it has the same gorgeous feel of the original EBMM EVH's. I was horrified... this thing had a price tag of nearly $3K and not only was the neck not even a decent grade of maple (never mind no birdseye etc) but the frets weren't even close to being rounded off. If I had run my fingers up the side of the fretboard more than once, they would have drawn blood. I am not joking! I can honestly say that I have never seen frets as bad as this on anything, even cheap Chinese instruments of the early 90's, never mind a so-called high end USA made guitar. The Korean Wolfgangs they had weren't any better either, but still toting a price tag that could choke. How can Fender even think about letting this stuff get out to retail in that state? All their USA Wolfgangs were as bad as each other, and the sales guy said that they were working their way through them to get the frets rounded off.

You'd have to be an idiot to buy one of these things! Do your self a favor and buy an original Ernie Ball Musicman EVH for the same money and get not only a sound investment as they're only ever going to go up in value, but also one of the finest stock guitars ever produced. Period.

selling my axis was one of the worst things Ive ever done in my life.

#7 · (Edited)
I just played one of the new USA EVH's and the Wolfgang special (which is made in japan) side by side, and they were extremely nice playing guitars right out of the box. Low action, and the floyds on both would not go out of tune no matter how hard I tried. The neck was very straight and had that worn in/comfortable feeling on both. I wouldn't pay the price for the USA Wolfgang, but the Special is something I'm seriously considering.

I'm extremely surprised at your report, and quite frankly, shocked. From what I've been told, EVH was little more than a terrorist when he was working with Peavey, and would constantly demand the production of the Wolfgang and the 5150 be stopped if he found the smallest problem with anything. I was also told that EBMM had the same problem with EVH. He's supposed to be a difficult guy to work with because he demands perfection in every instrument that comes off of the line. I'll talk to the owner of the music store that I do business with, as he's a good friend of mine, and see if he's heard about any production problems the EVH line is having.

Thanks for the info!
Danny

#30 ·
I just played one of the new USA EVH's and the Wolfgang special (which is made in japan) side by side, and they were extremely nice playing guitars right out of the box. Low action, and the floyds on both would not go out of tune no matter how hard I tried. The neck was very straight and had that worn in/comfortable feeling on both. I wouldn't pay the price for the USA Wolfgang, but the Special is something I'm seriously considering.

I'm extremely surprised at your report, and quite frankly, shocked. From what I've been told, EVH was little more than a terrorist when he was working with Peavey, and would constantly demand the production of the Wolfgang and the 5150 be stopped if he found the smallest problem with anything. I was also told that EBMM had the same problem with EVH. He's supposed to be a difficult guy to work with because he demands perfection in every instrument that comes off of the line. I'll talk to the owner of the music store that I do business with, as he's a good friend of mine, and see if he's heard about any production problems the EVH line is having.

Thanks for the info!
Danny
Just as a thought, but I wouldnt want MY name on a POS. So I dont blame him one bit. I'd be an ass too if my name was going on something. I think everyone here would. Plus he has a reputation to uphold. Very good point you put out there.

I have yet to actually see one of these guitars in person. I think its the price tag for 1, and 2 location. Middle Wyoming aint that great. and everything is already over priced. Add a high end guitar to a market that cant afford it upfront, with a store that wont do payments while even they hold the guitar.

Music shops here just suck, except 1, and they cant sell Ibanez due to that already over priced music shop.

#8 ·
Everything I have heard aside from this post has said the same thing -- the quality of the EVH Wolfgangs is beyond reproach.

That said, I have tried one (no fret issues, by the way) and thought "meh." The neck just doesn't fit me. But it rang forever when I plucked an open string.

#9 ·
A friend of mine is a huge EVH fan and just bought a Japanese Wolfgang that I had a chance to play at Christmas. He said it was actually made by Fujijen?

Anyways, I thought it was a really nice guitar. The frets were really nicely finished (and very small compared to Ibanez frets), the action was really low and the fretboard was a really nice birdseye maple. This was straight out of the box, still had the price tag hanging on it.

Your report actually surprises me based on the one example I played.

#10 ·
I've loved every one that I've played, and love the one I bought.

The fret issue mentioned is common on guitars with unfinished necks on display at stores without proper humidity control. I believe some people call it fret sprout. Easily cured by a day or two in a better environment.

The frets themselves are a taste thing. The "vintage" small frets on these guitars seem to be a pretty divisive point among guitar players. You either love em or hate em I guess.

The top on mine is beautiful, thought I have seem them with lack luster tops as well. It just depends on the guitar, some definitely are nicer than others.

The fretboard is the only part of the neck that is birdseye, and this is by design, not a cost factor. Other manufacturers have begun doing this as well (Suhr/Tyler/Anderson). It is mainly related to stability. Birdseye maple necks have a tendency to be even more susceptible to humidity a non-birdseye one, made worse by the fact that these necks are unfinished.

The price tag for the USA models is more or less in the same range as many other signature instruments. They go for just under $3K retail which isn't bad in my opinion.

If you want to see high prices, look at Gibson signature models, the Kirk Hammett or James Hetfield sig guitars, Jem's, Jacksons.. countless others.

If you didn't even plug it in you missed the best part.

#11 ·
You went to Daddy's "Junky" Music and expected a non-junky guitar??? Sorry--couldn't pass that opportunity up. Seriously though, the statements about the frets are true. Everyone else that's played one has no beef with the fret ends. You should go back and plug one in. If you like it, have the store tech take care of those fret ends before purchase, or a condition of.

#12 · (Edited)
glad to see that the extremely pour fret job on the US (and, Japanese as pointed out) wolfgangs I tried isn't consistent. Should hope not for an axe in that price bracket, and thanks for the, er, advice, guys. I'm not a young novice. I've worked in the guitar industry for a very long time and have more than enough geetahs. There's no way I'm going to go as far as "go back and plug in" a guitar with that much fret protrusion. I value my calluses far too much :)

Just going from what I experienced for myself, and fret protusion aside, EBMM EVH's still reign supreme. Period ;)

#13 ·
We have one EVH dealer here; their store is kind of warehouse-like (concrete floors, high exposed ceiling, etc.) and every one I've played in the winter has had horrible fret sprout. In the summer they are fine. Are these completely unfinished necks? I thought they had some kind of light oil finish. Either way these seem to be really susceptible to humidity changes - I've own 6 EBMMs over the years and never had any weather change issues with their oil/wax neck finish, and my house tends to be kind of dry in the winter months.

#15 ·
I own the Peavy Wolfgang special, it's an older one I bought used and its a great axe. I'm considering picking up an Axis. Anyone here own one? Sounds like the shop the OP went to needs to invest in a climate control system. My store I do business with has one, they take it very seriously, to the point that they have me convinced me to pick up a mobile unit for my axe room.

#16 ·
I gigged with a couple of Axis' ( Axes/Axii ?? ;) ) for years. They're fantastic guitars if you like the neck, which is quite nice but not for everyone. It'd be very different from the Peavey Wolf. The Wolf has a very chunky and wide neck, where the Axis/EVH is chunky but skinny. The only thing I could never get along with was the radius. The Axis/EVH has a 10" radius, where the Wolfgang has a 15" radius and is much flatter. If they put that radius on an Axis, I'd be in heaven.

The new Fender Wolf is the best of both worlds (pun intended) .. with a compound radius going from 12" to 16" .. perfect for me.

#17 ·
My local GC has one in the Platunum room and I decided to give it a try. Wasn't bad, but not all that impressed either....especially for the price. As originally posted, the fret ends on this one were pretty sharp as well. The PRS customs however played and felt wonderful. Just didn't have an extra 3g in my pocket.:)

#18 ·

I tried a Ernie Ball John Petrucci BFR a few weeks ago and also felt like my skin would be sliced by the frets. I can't believe a $4000 guitar like that made it past inspection this way. Can't say I've ever played an Ernie Ball that I really liked.

#19 ·
I tried a Special before Christmas at the local EVH dealer. It too had really bad frets. There were a few other Specials but they were ok. I thought it was bad enough to point it out to the sales staff but they didn't seem to concerned. I have lots of guitars and have never had seen this happen.

I was told at another store during the Peavey Wolfgang era that the early Peavey Wolfgang's necks were prone to warping due to their being unfinished. Never read this anywhere, it was just what the sales staff told me at the time.

I still want one of the new Wolfgangs. I think most of them play really nice and sound great (all except the one with the bad frets).

#21 ·
I tried one, although I cant recall if it was a US or foreign, but I wasnt impressed either. It just seemed lifeless and dull. The Ernie Ball version imo was much better. Im guessing the one you tried may have just been overlooked however unlikely.

On a side note, Daddy's Junky Music is just a name. Its a New England exclusive chain thats like a small scale Guitar Center lol...

#24 ·
I have a Peavey wolf special and would really love to get an EVH brand wolf but the price is too rich for my blood. An Axis is around $1700 OTD and the Peavey's were around that price point for the archtops. I just don't have that kind of cheddar to drop on a guitar. $1500 is my max. The new specials are too similar to my Peavey to justify.

The quality on all of the EVH brand wolfs that I played were top notch, PRS level, if not superior.

#26 ·
It says that guy is banned and I assure you it wasn't because he had too much "intelligence" or open mindedness. The Eric Johnson strat is a serious piece of equipment. Can rival any JEM, Wolfgang or whatever else suits your fancy. Just a matter of whether or not you prefer single coil tone but for some stuff it's necessary. So for that stuff it's the best guitar. For shred or metal, not so much.

Same with their amps.. Twin Reverb? The Fender Bassman which was the foundation for Mesa Boogies??

I'm not a fan of Gibsons but to say they are "garrbidge" is ludicrous.

#28 ·
The quality control for Gibson is worse, based on what I've read.

The only problems I've seen for QC of Wolfgang's is this topic. I don't have one yet but when my money comes in I'll have no issue getting one because the negative experiences here are in the minority. The QC is actually one of the strong points given that they are MIJ (I'm talking about the Wolfgang Special's).

There are people that say JEM's are garbidge as well but I don't take notice of them either. When there are serious issues it's easy to see.

It annoys me just as much to see people on a Gibson or Fender forum bash Ibanez's. In fact Ibanez is a part of my user name on most forums.

Squier Classic Vibe's look them up. Even Squier's can be good guitars, especially since most tone is in the hands.

#29 ·
I was in a music store in Grapevine Texas the other day and looked at an EVH Pewter strat that was 3K. The bridge was not inline with the nut and the high E string was at the very edge of the neck at the 12th fret. The bridge looked to be about an eighth of an inch lower than the nut which was cut correctly.
The music store said they were sending it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.