Floyd nut dilemma - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Floyd nut dilemma

Hi all,

You guys are always a big help. I figured also that this is the place to ask about Floyd Roses

I pretty much have had Floyds on all of my guitars since I was a kid but I have one with a strat trem that I recently bought. It has a neck on it that is set up and playing great with the guitar, and I donít want to mess with it. However, itís a Floyd nut. I have been playing without the lock blocks, and using locking tuners. Works great but I get this really loud high-pitched harmonic when I play the open high E string.

I tried the foam, and I canít get used to it. I also have one of those nut replacements that fit Floyd routes but I have to sand the slot a lot and the setup now is right with the Floyd nut. Also, this Floyd nut was filed down a little underneath so I canít really swap for another nut that I have laying around to see if the harmonic isnít there.

Has anyone just used the lock blocks and tightened them by hand just to solve this? I definitely donít want to tighten with the allen wrench in case I have to retune, which is why the fine tuners are so crucial on the Floyd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Floyd nut dilemma

What gauge is the high e string? Have you tried using a thicker gauge? The pinch you might be hearing is the string getting caught in the nut somewhere. I would also try filing the high e string slot on the nut and putting graphite on all slots to allow the strings to return to pitch, that should help.

Post your findings

Jimmy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jimmy. So you can put graphite powder on the a Floyd nut? That would be great it it worked. Thanks again,
Pete
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforsell View Post
Thanks Jimmy. So you can put graphite powder on the a Floyd nut? That would be great it it worked. Thanks again,
Pete
In the past when ive done it, all i do is get a pencil and just give it a little 'dab'

Tags
floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode