Floyd Rose Special vs Original. Real Experience needed - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Floyd Rose Special vs Original. Real Experience needed

Hi folks,

I know that the "OFR vs Special" has been raised for many times, and I've read many post about this, but now I'm asking about the real experience with these tremolos on one guitars.

I'm experiencing tone problems with my Dean Tele-type guitar, equipped with FR Special. I've already upraded stock ceramic pickups with Fender Twisted Tele set. Also I've changed stock zinc sustain block for large brass block.

But the sound of this guitar is lifeless, muddy and loose. It seriously lacks bass, and the overall sound can be describe as 'porridge'. I've compared it with some guitars of the same price range: Mexican Fender Strat and two Teles (upgraded with Fender or DiMarzio pickups), and Chinese Fender HSH Strat (stock). Their sound is full-bodied, but the Dean can't even compete with them. Pickup height is adjusted, the trem works fine.

So, the question I want to clarify, is "what is the weakest link here": the guitar, or the trem.

Who has had experience in replacing FR Special with OFR on one guitar? Will the replacement of the trem help the guitar, or is it a useless operation, and it's time to say goodbye to the Dean?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:50 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Floyd Rose Special vs Original. Real Experience needed

the quality of the steel in the trem will definitely be a factor in tone...while not quite the same i replaced a lo trs7 with a german made floyd 7 trem...the difference was incredible...more sustain, much better bass and highs...but i have a question...my 7420 is made of basswood (and a pretty nice guitar)...what is the dean made of?...if its all mahogany it should sound deep and bassy because of the wood...d.m.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Diablomozart, it is swamp ash, like a traditional tele. And it's a very heavy guitar. But in fact, it sounds like a very cheap guitar. Even my Squier Bullet seems to sound tighter.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 PM

From my experience Peter i'd just get rid of the guitar, the way you describe its sound "lifeless, muddy, loose, porridge" it seems kinda hard that you'll eventually like it, unless you absolutely love its playability or looks, i'd say just get rid of it and get another one.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Rafafas, looks and playability cost nothing withour pristine sound. So, I'm deciding, what to do with it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 PM

Reviews: 120

never mind, I didn't read properly
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 AM

Reviews: 6

swamp ash shouldnt be muddy...could be a bad piece of wood (it does happen)...i gotta agree with the others...unless youre totally hooked on something about this particular guitar i'd start with a different one...i had an old strathead charvel that played itself basically but the wood wasnt great so it sounded awful no matter what i did with it...i sold it and got a different one...however tone is subjective as the guy i sold it to loved the tone...go figure (it sounded thin to me)...d.m.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Krasov View Post
Hi folks,

I know that the "OFR vs Special" has been raised for many times, and I've read many post about this, but now I'm asking about the real experience with these tremolos on one guitars.

I'm experiencing tone problems with my Dean Tele-type guitar, equipped with FR Special. I've already upraded stock ceramic pickups with Fender Twisted Tele set. Also I've changed stock zinc sustain block for large brass block.

But the sound of this guitar is lifeless, muddy and loose. It seriously lacks bass, and the overall sound can be describe as 'porridge'. I've compared it with some guitars of the same price range: Mexican Fender Strat and two Teles (upgraded with Fender or DiMarzio pickups), and Chinese Fender HSH Strat (stock). Their sound is full-bodied, but the Dean can't even compete with them. Pickup height is adjusted, the trem works fine.

So, the question I want to clarify, is "what is the weakest link here": the guitar, or the trem.

Who has had experience in replacing FR Special with OFR on one guitar? Will the replacement of the trem help the guitar, or is it a useless operation, and it's time to say goodbye to the Dean?

Thanks.
Is it a bolt-on ?
If yes then send it for a pro set-up.

If not, then sell it. A new "good" trem might have more problems than the one you have. I had consistently problems with my OFR and Gotoh trems/parts in the last years.

My 2 rubles!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 AM

If its a guitar you want to keep, replace the bridge. The "Special" is the equivalent of what the Ibanez Edge 3 would be in terms of composition. A lot of us know how horrible the Edge 3 makes a guitar sound.. Same with the Special
Every time I've had a guitar with poor sound,(intermediate and lower level instruments) a bridge and nut upgrade resolved this problem.
Example:
A Peavey Raptor, which is a PLYWOOD bodied guitar had this issue, a quality bridge and nut resolved the problem.
A Westone We5400, again a PLYWOOD body,an OFR resolved the problem
JS 100, Edge 3 was replaced by a Edge Pro, problem resolved.
this issue has happened to me countless times,and now when I acquire a guitar that doesn't sound right, I replace the bridge and nut before I touch anything else.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:02 AM

The saddles in the Special are very fragile, slight over-tightening & they will give way.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 15

As far as tone goes, I have had both in my ESP Lynch. It came with a special, and I upgraded. ZERO DIFFERENCE IN TONE. ZERO. The reason I had to change it was that knife edged were dulled by the previous owner, so I changed it to an OFR.

No difference.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:21 AM

ones great ones cheap rubbish if that helps

Tags
dean , floyd rose , telecaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode