Gibson Les Paul with Floyd Rose - Never seen one before - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Gibson Les Paul with Floyd Rose - Never seen one before

I was at my local music shop and they had a white Gibson Les Paul with a Floyd Rose. When did they make these? Are they worth more than a normal Les Paul? Does anyone have one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 08:44 PM

Gibson Les Paul with Floyd Rose

Can't answer any of those questions, but both Rik Emmett and Neil Schon have played LP's with floyds on them.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 08:53 PM

Not many of THOSE around. *There were a couple trems out years ago that mounted without significant routing (Kahler made one). *Presumably nobody wanted to hack up a Paul.

Me? *I think they NEED to be trimmed down some... ;-)
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 09:57 PM

Most of the tremed Les Pauls were Bigsby's wernt they? I have seen a floyd on one in a guitar show... Looked strange...
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:35 AM

Or how about a PRS with a Floyd? Saw one in Guitar World or Guitar Player...or maybe even Guitar One. It was one of those.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:00 AM

In the late '80s/ early '90s, Gibson started to feel the heat of the "superstrat" (Ibanez, Jackson, etc). They worked with Wayne Charvel on some guitars that met with mixed reviews. The big complaint was that they "didn't look like Gibsons". Gibson then took their staple guitar, the Les Paul, and introduced the Les Paul Custom Lite. The guitar was about 1/2 as deep as a regular Les Paul, featured a waist contour like a strat, and didn't have a maple top (I may be mistaken on the last point). The LP Custom Lite came with the option of a Schaller Floyd Rose installed at the factory.

Gibson also did this to a SG (SG90 which also had a single coil in the neck) and a Flying V (Flying V 90).

These are not extremely common. They are often seen as a failed experiment by Gibson to be modern. I however, always dug them being both a fan of Les Pauls and of Floyds. Keep in mind, the shorter scale of the Gibson does affect the feel of the Floyd.

Cheers,
Butch
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:34 AM

Who could forget Brad Gillis on that MTV Concert "Speak of the Devil"? He had a black LP with a floyd on it. If anyone goes near my LP with a router, I'll shoot them!

John W
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:36 AM

In 99 Gibson dicontinued a Nighthawk model with FLoyd

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibso...m3P-FRose.html

(Edited by LGMT at 11:39 am on Nov. 20, 2001)
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 11:40 AM

Actually, an SG with Floyd would be cool! *Now, THERE's a Gibson I would play!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 09:58 AM

I've never seen an actual SG with a floyd, but I saw a picture of John McLaughlin playing one of his double neck 6/12 string SG copies, and the 6 string had a floyd-esque trem. *It might've been a Kahler or something, I couldn't tell. *It was obviously not when he was with Mahavishnu, seeing as Floyds weren't invented yet!
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 12:36 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
MADWELL on 6:35 am on Nov. 20, 2001
Or how about a PRS with a Floyd? Saw one in Guitar World or Guitar Player...or maybe even Guitar One. It was one of those.
That would be Neil Schon again.I remember that one,too.Beautiful axe.PRS did make a few with floyds early on.I'd LOVE to get my paws on one of those.

(Edited by robochimp at 11:37 am on Nov. 23, 2001)
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 02:06 PM

I think I've seen a picture with EVH holding a LP with a FLT
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 04:10 PM

Didn't FZ have a Floyd in his LP ?
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 01:14 PM

I want to add a floyd to one of my epi's! Doesn't robert fripp have a Fernandes Custom LP shape guitar with Kahler and sustainer pick up?
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 09:30 PM

steve clark form def leppard used one with a floydd before he passed but it could have been a kahler.

Tags
ace frehley , custom shop , def leppard , double neck , floyd rose , floyd trem , gibson les paul , john mclaughlin , kahler trem , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les pauls , local music shop , locking nut , maple neck , neal schon , richie sambora , robert fripp , schaller floyd rose , tony iommi , trem block , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode