<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 1

Gibson LP Vs PRS standard satin

I am undecided between Gibson LP and PRS standard satin 22. I like the LP tone and burst but scale is too short for me and neck is not very comfortable. PRS wide thin neck is easier to play and not much different from Ibanez. They are about the same price range. What do you guys think?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 PM

Re: Gibson LP Vs PRS standard satin

Oh well, here goes my broken record again - years ago I worked in a "Vintage" guitar shop that was also a Gibson dealer - the owner of the shop (who is a pretty cool dude despite my odd gripes) told me I HAD to play Gibsons, as PRS weren't collectible, had no vintage market, no heritage blah blah blah (of course the real reason was that he didn't deal in PRS), so, against my better judgement I plonked down the GDP of a small African Nation on a Custom Shop '57 Goldtop - the tone was great - what a pity that the guitar REFUSED to stay in tune, REFUSED to intonate correctly across the neck, weighed so much that I ended up spending about ten sessions with a sports physiotherapist due to nerve damage to my left arm, and like all Custom Shop Gibsons was shipped to Australia with NO levelling and crowning to the frets at all! Eventually due to the above issues I swapped to a '64 SG, which sounded even better, tone wise, but had EVEN MORE TUNING ISSUES, took me literally months and months to track down every rattle and buzz on the guitar and just generally, despite being an exceptionally cool looking guitar just completely shat me up the wall.

So I eventually left the guitar shop, flogged the Les Paul and SG and bought a PRS Custom 22 stoptail - all the above issues disappeared in one fell swoop, the PRS is a dream guitar - to the point that since then I have also bought a PRS Custom 22 Soapbar and a Singlecut Artist - all three are superlatively great instruments - and all this tosh about PRS not being as good as they used to be is just that - tosh - every PRS I pick up (and I pick up every PRS I see in Sydney) is as good as any other - even the SE series are exceptionally good instruments.

That's of course just my personal opinion, but I have owned and played plenty of both Gibson and PRS guitars, and there are now basically no Gibsons (except a trashed Explorer project) and three PRS's in my collection - and the PRS's get gigged whereas my JEMs do case time at home.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 AM

wow...thanks mate.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 AM
(a)

+1 David. I had a custom 22 and it was the nicest sounding, most well made guitar I ever had. I let her go because I just couldn't get used to the thick finish on the back of the neck, but a rosewood neck McCarty or Modern Eagle is definitely on the short list and will be in the collection. Fantastic tone, exceptional build quality not to mention just a beautiful guitar.

One minor complaint I had was when I played it while sitting, it seemed to be a bit unbalanced and always wanted to slide off my leg. But that was a small price to pay for the benefits.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 AM

I'm can't handle a thicker neck with my inch-long fingers, so my Gibsons are both gone. I won't be looking at PRS for much the same reason, the profile just doesn't work for me. Nevertheless, what David says about the flaws in Gibsons is on the button; however well made they are the set up is pitiful, they are impossible to keep in tune (the tuners are truly abysmal). I'd add that the Gibson (plastic) nut on my very last SG appeared to be made of butter and the G string cut through it down to the fretboard - that was the final straw.

Any PRS I've ever picked up has felt and played appreciably better and, while they're not my thing, I'd take one over a Gibson any day. It's a shame, because with the name and the financial muscle they exercise, Gibson should be spending some (not much) money improving the flaws in their otherwise incredible guitars - locking or just improved tuners, roller nut or at least some improvement on the present one, attention to finishing and set up - nothing too expensive, just a modicum of concern for the end user.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 AM
(a)

I had a Custom 22 and although it looked pretty I much prefered the LP Studio and ZW I had.The Gibbo's necks took abit of getting used to,but soundwise I think the Studio slaughtered the Prs,can't really compare the ZW because of the active EMG's.
It's down to personal preference but I've never been so underwelmed with a guitar with that price tag as the Prs.I also thought the tuning stability on my Prs was pretty rubbish too
Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM

Yea I noticed that cheapo tuner and strap locks on LP standard. Quite a disappointment for ₤1350 guitar. Which model of PRS has closest tone/sound to Gibson LP standard?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 AM

I own a PRS 20th with Kluson Tuners. How is that for High tech.
You will get no decent answer here as it is a fashionable to say the LP is a bad instrument. Its only a matter of time when the first jerk shows up and babbles something about overprized. Many of the people here are getting their guitars from their parents and the only chance to actually touch a LP is when their parents drive them to the local GC. There they play for 5 minutes and than know it all.

With that said, as i said, i own or owned a couple of both over time and both are great guitars, there is NOTHING wrong with a LP in general. Not heavy anymore, i had no tuning stability problems ever. And the tone is not to reproduce. IF the LP would be such a crappy guitar do you really believe that so many Pro's and non Pro's would buy them???

To end my rant... i take a PRS over a Paul because i like the tone of PRS and thats the only reason.

Last edited by dragsternj; 11-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
(a)

I like the PRS Custom 24, it's a great guitar in every aspect. I used to play LPs but stopped in about '80 in favor of Ibanez Artists. I actually never had a problem with the neck finishes on the PRS.

Bottom line for me though, is that with all of the pickups and amps and stomp boxes available out there, the guitar's neck really needs to feel good to me and I can tweak nearly everything else. If you'd rather play the neck on the PRS then go PRS.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
I am undecided between Gibson LP and PRS standard satin 22. I like the LP tone and burst but scale is too short for me and neck is not very comfortable. PRS wide thin neck is easier to play and not much different from Ibanez. They are about the same price range. What do you guys think?
Oh, go for the one with the neck that you hate.

Difficult choice.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

If all that matters that much, neck and such...get a CT6. I have one looks like a PRS, is cheaper, plays better, more features, >>> best neck ever <<<
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
(a)

I'd take a tung oiled CT6 over a finished neck PRS, but if it's the finished neck version CT6 it won't play as well as the PRS in my opinion. I've had both at the same time as well. And side by side the PRS Custom sounds better than the Carvin when both are stock (though that's a relatively cheap fix). You can get a floyd on the Carvin, so if you like floyds there's that as well for the Carvin.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I'd take a tung oiled CT6 over a finished neck PRS, but if it's the finished neck version CT6 it won't play as well as the PRS in my opinion. I've had both at the same time as well. And side by side the PRS Custom sounds better than the Carvin when both are stock (though that's a relatively cheap fix). You can get a floyd on the Carvin, so if you like floyds there's that as well for the Carvin.
Are they really THAT nice!?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
Yea I noticed that cheapo tuner and strap locks on LP standard. Quite a disappointment for ₤1350 guitar. Which model of PRS has closest tone/sound to Gibson LP standard?

Generally speaking, the McCarty was designed to be closer in tone to a Les Paul than the PRS Custom 22/24, however I am pretty sure that the PRS Singlecut 245 is a genuine thumb up the nose at Gibson for the failed lawsuit over the Singlecut, and is designed to go neck to neck with Les Pauls, both appearance, feel and tonewise.

It really is all just a matter of opinion, mine is no better than anyone else's and all I can draw on is my own experience with the numerous Gibsons I have owned over the years - I have tried so hard to like them, I think they look really cool (although the current US Gibsons, at least those that make it to Australia come complete with uncrowned frets, file marks all over the fretboard and really poorly finished fret end/binding junctions), and good ones sound great, but the quality of finish and final attention to detail is just absolutely appalling on the new ones, and no Gibson I have ever owned has managed to stay in tune in a live situation more than about two songs. To illustrate another case in point, I had the Australian distributor of Gibson ship a brand new Explorer from Melbourne to their Sydney store for a friend of mine to buy - when we turned up to the shop - THE GUITAR DIDN'T WORK!!! It had been sitting in the shop for a couple of days, and no one had actually bothered to plug it in to check it and tune it up.

I'll stop now, I'm in danger of becoming a ranter, but seriously, Gibson really urgently needs to pull up their socks and get back to the business of churning out nice, playable, no nonsense guitars for musicians, rather than idiot gimmicks like The Robot Guitar and Signature models for actors(!!!!!)

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S/T Gibson Sg Standard Vitage / Parker Fly RANDY3372 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 8 12-02-2007 10:42 PM
For Trade Gibson Les Paul Studio Standard sniperfrommars1 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-04-2007 03:58 PM
GIBSON SG STANDARD MALAM Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 02-26-2007 07:39 PM
WTT: Gibson LesPaul Standard with extras lost_within Classified Ads: Ibanez JEM/UV Guitars 3 11-10-2004 11:36 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29