<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Re: Guthrie Govan switching to Charvel

24 Frets, H-s-h Charvels? Ill take 2.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~ View Post
24 Frets, H-s-h Charvels? Ill take 2.
with floyds....
yes, please

rich
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 PM

but why did he change?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzerman View Post
but why did he change?
Money
Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 AM

Do you know that for a fact or is it speculation? If it's a fact, what was his deal with Suhr, and what is his deal with Fender/Charvel?

If it's speculation, come up with something more british.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
come up with something more british.
Pounds
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
GUITARMAGEDDON  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Pounds
HA!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Yes. Apparantly he was interested in the way Charvel made their necks.
Lol, I imagine they make them the same way Suhr make them, with a CNC
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Here's Guthrie in action with his Charvels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aminc...feature=r-vrec
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
Lol, I imagine they make them the same way Suhr make them, with a CNC
The picture in the first post in this thread, a guitar with a maple neck and fretboard - or is it?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
John Suhr has confirmed his company will continue to offer the GG signature models but without the signature, so there's nothing to worry about there. What will intrigue me is whether there'll be any talk of 'mojo' in the early ones like the EVH musicman guitars and the 'first 500' dual rectifiers...
But the AXIS EBMM's didn't have the same finishes, did they? I always thought the EVH's looked gorgeous. But if memory serves, they faded pretty quickly and very badly, didn't they?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
But the AXIS EBMM's didn't have the same finishes, did they? I always thought the EVH's looked gorgeous. But if memory serves, they faded pretty quickly and very badly, didn't they?
Purple and transblack ones faded, but not all. My transblack is as good as new, but it hasn't been exposed to direct sun light that much - some of them (transblack) look more greenish than black. And wasn't there minor changes between EBMM EVH vs. Axis? Or was it just talk...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
GUITARMAGEDDON  is online

video update:
This is not an endorsement according to GG, but a one off prototype. talks about it around 12 minutes in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEOF84w-f8
Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
video update:
This is not an endorsement according to GG, but a one off prototype. talks about it around 12 minutes in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEOF84w-f8
But surely the whole point of a prototype is that it presupposes an ongoing, more finished product...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM

May be old news, though I thought I'd post it here nonetheless.

'DavidLopezJr' posted the following (including a picture of his new Charvel) on sevenstring.org on 21st November, apparently taken from Guthrie's facebook page;

"Hello! Guthrie here, with a somewhat boring (but apparently necessary!) update… and a pretty picture ;-)

Well... the guitar I've been using lately has apparently caused something of a stir in certain sectors of the online community, so I figured it might be helpful if I explained what's actually going on.

Just to clear things up:

1) I'm no longer affiliated with Suhr guitars, and Suhr's product range will no longer include a GG signature model. This is really Not A Big Deal: the Suhr guys and yours truly simply reached a point where we couldn't agree on the best way to develop our working relationship. The finer details are of no concern to anyone other than me and the Suhr company, but there's certainly no animosity here: it was a mutual business-related decision, that's all.

Contrary to certain "purple monkey dishwasher" rumours which seem to be in circulation, this has nothing to do with any alleged reliability issues: the Suhr company continues to make consistently world-class instruments, just as it always has done.

2) Just for the record, no company has ever paid me so much as a penny to use their guitars/amps/strings/pedals/whatever. I see no point in working with any gear company unless I have the utmost confidence in the quality of its work… and genuinely feel that its product is helping me in my ongoing quest to make pleasing noises.

3) I don't currently have any guitar endorsement deal, and not every instrument I use in a public place should be presumed to be a signature model. (I'm aware that this contradicts certain assertions you may have read on Wikipedia but… where that particular source of information is concerned, it strikes me that you only get what you pay for!)

4) Having said all of the above... I have recently been working on some ideas with the good people at Charvel Guitars, and the results have been extremely encouraging!

Below, you'll see a picture of the #1 prototype Charvel I used for the Aristocrats' recent European tour. It sounds great, the neck pretty much plays itself and… to my way of thinking, it looks mighty fine, too ;-)

(Koa body, roasted/baked/caramelised maple neck, special Mystery Pickups designed by one of the Fender Custom Shop's "mad scientists", Gotoh 2-post trem with vintage-style saddles and Tremol-No as per usual... No "blower switch", purely because I no longer feel the need for one: presumably my volume pedal chops have improved a little over the last few years?)

Unfortunately, the only current video footage out there seems to be a Greek interview (where I'm playing through a hired 100W Marshall at bedroom volume levels) and a TV broadcast from the Frankfurt Jazz Festival (where the sound guys somehow contrived to add a bizarre and very distracting short delay to the guitar signal) but… soon enough, I'm sure you'll be able to hear this thing properly: its tone has a unique kind of snarl, which I'm liking a lot ;-)

If this guitar evolves into a full-on signature model/endorsement, I'll certainly let you know (and I'm guessing that Charvel might have something to say about it, too!) but at this stage it's just a "Mk1" prototype. Let's just see what happens from here...

In other news… the launch of the live Aristocrats DVD/CD package is just around the corner! Stay tuned - I promise that my next post will be more exciting and less verbose than this one ;-)

Cheers,

GG"

Tags
charvel, govan

Show/Hide Posting Rules