<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:28 PM

has anyone modded OLP JP?

It doesn't seem lucrative enough to do it in my head, but has anyone bought a petrucci OLP and changed the pups for instance? to make it more like the original?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Suspension: Multiple Users

Re: has anyone modded OLP JP?

dont buy that guitar, i heard it has a ****ty neck compared to the MM version, like nowhere near as good!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:42 AM
(a)

Considering you could probably buy 5 OLPs for the price of 1 MM, what do you expect?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90341689
dont buy that guitar, i heard it has a ****ty neck compared to the MM version, like nowhere near as good!
Well thats an obvious statement.
Please dont tell me you were expecting MusicMan neck quality on a cheap OLP?
Of course the proper MusicMan version is better, its priced 5 times as much. Some people dont have the $$ for a MM, so they have to go with the OLP.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 AM

I had one of the OLP MM1 Axis copys and to tell ya the truth I loved the heck out of it.. Change the pickups and set them up and you will have one hell of a guitar..

I like a dumbass gave it to a girl I was dating.. I have been looking at picking another one up and more than likely it will be the Petrucci which I will strip and paint mystic like the original.

You really cant go wrong for the price there very well made, and assembled decent but you will have to immediatly change out the pickups.

I dont know why so many people bash guitars if there under 400-500.. Not every guitar produced thats high end is quality..

Quality and playability is all perception.. If you think its cheap it will be, if you think it will play good and put some effort in, it probably will...

Buy one is what I say
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM

I don't know if this helps, but I've got an OLP EVH, and I love it. We upgraded the pups and added an original Floyd w/d-tuna, and now it's a machine. As far as quality goes, it's not great but it's pretty good for 100 bucks or so, and I'd put that little Chinese neck up against a lot of cheaper import Ibanez necks any day of the week. Sure, it's thick as a baseball bat, but that's pretty much how the Ernie Ball EVHs were too. The stock pickups do suck, though.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Suspension: Multiple Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Well thats an obvious statement.
Please dont tell me you were expecting MusicMan neck quality on a cheap OLP?
Of course the proper MusicMan version is better, its priced 5 times as much. Some people dont have the $$ for a MM, so they have to go with the OLP.
yes, it is an obvious statement, but i guess im used to the fact that other guitar brands such as esp and ibanez have some similarities between the higher ranged guitars and the lower ranged guitars.
for example, the jem 7vwh has an awesome jem prestige neck whilst the jem 555 has a similar neck altho not quite as good. the fact of the matter there is some similarity with the playability. its the same with esp, altho the higher range models are much better, it still plays similarly to the lower range ones. unlike olp and MM. theyre completely different guitars, just similar because of the name and shape.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90341689
yes, it is an obvious statement, but i guess im used to the fact that other guitar brands such as esp and ibanez have some similarities between the higher ranged guitars and the lower ranged guitars.
for example, the jem 7vwh has an awesome jem prestige neck whilst the jem 555 has a similar neck altho not quite as good. the fact of the matter there is some similarity with the playability. its the same with esp, altho the higher range models are much better, it still plays similarly to the lower range ones. unlike olp and MM. theyre completely different guitars, just similar because of the name and shape.

are you done.. The Jem555 neck feels nothing like the 7vwh for starters, the OLP neck vs the MM I bet ya if you got 10 people blindfolded 6 would guess wrong. Its a good lil guitar and playability is better than 60% of the Ibanez's in the same range and im going to go out on a limb here and say its better than 90% of ESPs in the same price range.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
(a)

First of all if we all had the same hand size/shape and taste in neck profiles we could then perhaps wax lyrical about which is better. As we are all individuals then it just doesn't make sense ??
As far as bashing cheapo guitars go's then I feel that's just pointly too. If the neck feels good to you and your a capable enough guitarist to set it up to your taste then what's the problem. As long as it's tough enough to not warp and well made enough to know it won't split or have the frets pop out on you then it's a winner.
I can however understand the need to change stock pickups/ trems but this can be done over time and is a fairly cheap and easy mod.
I have a Yamaha RGX that I bagged for £50. I've modded it a bit and I can play all the same chops on it as I can on my DY. If a cheap guitar is so poor that it will limit your expressiveness then I would say fair enough and steer clear but flaming a guitar such as OLP just cos it doesn't quite match up to the 5 x more expensive M.M. just makes you sound like you have no idea what your doing ???

$0.02

Ben
Old 04-11-2006, 09:52 AM

There are no ESP's in that range at all. Some LTD's....no ESP's
Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector
are you done.. The Jem555 neck feels nothing like the 7vwh for starters, the OLP neck vs the MM I bet ya if you got 10 people blindfolded 6 would guess wrong. Its a good lil guitar and playability is better than 60% of the Ibanez's in the same range and im going to go out on a limb here and say its better than 90% of ESPs in the same price range.

+1 Except that I'd say it beats out about 90% or more of Ibanez's in the price range, and many that cost even more. It's a cool little guitar, and with a couple hundred bucks in mods, you can make a pretty nice axe. Like I said, I've never played the OLP JP model, but I would think it's probably about the same quality as the MM1.

Tags
ernie ball, ibanez neck, ibanez necks, yamaha rgx

Show/Hide Posting Rules