Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  cmartin 
#1 ·
The recent threads about the very limited run RG Prestige models found at the Texas GCs and the ones up on Ebay right made me curious to how many rare Prestige models exist.

By rare, I mean the ones not found in the catalogs, quoted w/ production numbers in the J-Custom range (12-24), and look every bit as slick as most J-Customs.

We know there are something like 60+ J-Custom models out there. I wonder if its any where near the same for the rare Prestiges.

I'm also curious why these aren't badged J-Customs? Perhaps Ibanez sets a limit to the number of J-Custom models per year, but the luthiers like cranking out these sweet guitars? Or maybe the J-Customs are more aimed at the Japanese market and rare Prestiges go to the US and elsewhere?

I'd appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this, or at least add a few educated guesses.

#3 ·
I always wonder about this myself... I have an RT7-CTVV (not a CST, which is a J-custom). It is similar except for the lack of piezos and rosewood instead of ebony fretboard. In theory, only 1-2 dozen of these were made, but it's not abundantly clear what separates it from a J-custom.

--B

#4 ·
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Prestige models are made on the same line as the Jem/UV guitars, by the same craftsman that work and detail those guitars.

J-Custom models are built in the Ibanez Japan Custom shop by Ibanez's top luthiers and alot of hand work is done to them prior to shipping. I'm sure that bodies and necks for both models are cut in the same location by the same machine, its the finishing work that differs.

J>

#5 ·
Jimm- you're almost right.

The J-Custom Shop does the JEM/UV/JS/signature models as well as the J-Customs.  Hoshino's top luthiers hand-everything these models.  After the initial cutting/selecting of prime cuts, they are basically hand-built.

The Prestiges consist of top-shelf materials, but done on a regular ol' assembly line, by Hoshino's #2 luthiers. :)

Personally, I consider the Prestige models exceptionally crafted.  Glen will crap out a Rubiks Cube, but I think their quality rivals that of the JEM's and J-Customs.  If you get a chance, do a side-by-side demo of all three.  I think you'll see what I mean (and why I love them so).  

#6 ·
Quote: from cmartin on 1:14 am on Feb. 8, 2001
Or maybe the J-Customs are more aimed at the Japanese market and rare Prestiges go to the US and elsewhere?
I think this might be a pretty good theory. How many people in the US that pride themselves on owning US mad guitars would want a Japanese Custom? Slapping the name Prestige on there instead might be just enough to make them think they're buying a USA made guitar, and the drones at GC probly think they're made in the US too, and that's what they tell the customers.

#7 ·
I don't believe anything is 'hand made' since they're computer routing everything from necks to bodies across the board. IMHO the better guitars just get better wood selection and slightly more TLC when being assembled. Regardless of the final 'nametag' stamped on it (prestige vs J-Custom vs JEM). Some ornamentation requires hand work but lets not confuse small details with 'hand made'.

Either way it's obvious the J-Custom naming is for Asia, not North America. They began selling the USRG30s as 'Prestige' models and now they are continuing it but with a japanese made axe. ;) ...glen

#9 ·
Could anyone see any differences between the Prestige on Ebay and the J-Custom at Kevan's site? Its hard to say anything with much confidence by just looking at a few pictures on the web, but I'll throw out another theory I wouldn't put too much stock in:

Its cheaper and easier to do a run of say 48 guitars, but doesn't sound nearly as exclusive as 12-24. So you make 24 that you label J-Customs and 24 you label Prestige.

Or an even more out-there theory:
Its cheaper and easier still to make a run of 100. If you split the run half Prestige/half J-Custom, your production total claims of 12-24 are more easily believed!

Here's something that got me thinking at least a little in this direction: The RG7CST, RG7CT, and RG7-1VL all look very similar in a number of ways and all came out at appox. the same time. Perhaps to at certain stage they were built as one run until their differences required they be separated.

#13 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if they made a production run of several hundred of these, and they slapped a "J-Custom" badge on a dozen of them to further the J-Custom mystique, then sold the rest as Prestiges. Prestige models are generally produced in larger numbers, aren't they? I mean, they're not your run-of-the-mill production model, but they aren't really that hard to get, are they?

(Edited by darren wilson at 9:05 pm on Feb. 8, 2001)

#16 ·
Darren- I think most Prestiges are just as you described- most notably the 3120 and others found in the Ibanez catalogs and on their website. However, there exists a seemingly rarer brand of Prestiges as well. The one we are discussing for example is touted to be one of only 24, as was the case with the RG7CT, and few others we know about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.