<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Insane vintage guitar shop opens up in my small town

I live in rural Northern California, nowhere near Sacto, SF, San Jose, or Oakland and in my town of 1,600 full time residents nothing happens outside of a somewhat well known art gallery scene. So to my delight, this little place opens up and my eyes fall out.

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...07/ready-rock/

I saw stuff like custom colors on Fenders that didn't exist yet other than Leo helping out a customer and having a car shop spray a color for him, a real '58 left handed Korina Flying V with two pickguards, and Eric Clapton's actual Explorer just hanging on the wall. This stuff would be expected in museums or big cities but not in my small retirement community. I wouldn't be surprised if they one day acquired one of Joe or Steve's guitars for their shop.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Reviews: 4

Re: Insane vintage guitar shop opens up in my small town

Wow!!! That's pretty awesome!!!! I've got a place near me that has vintage and boutique retro style stuff, but that is plain incredible!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Wow!!! That's pretty awesome!!!! I've got a place near me that has vintage and boutique retro style stuff, but that is plain incredible!
What's amazing is just how small this place is.

Oddly, among the all those art galleries for a decade or decade in and a half many years ago, there was a similar boutique guitar store, but more acclimated with acoustics.

As a kid I would go in there and the owner would show me a Stromberg, D'Angleico New Yorker, pre-war Martin dreadnaught, or Lloyd Loar mandolin. I had no clue what these were other than being rare and expensive, but I didn't know how expensive.

How do you place a value on this current shop with a one of a kind left handed Korina Flying V from 1958 or Eric's actual Explorer? They may actually get the first custom colored Fender Stratocaster ever soon, even before the famous Fiesta Red strat that I thought was the first one. I think the people who come to one of the many galleries and buy a pricey Blue Dog or Kinckaid may not be so interested in the quality of the art per se or it's historical significance, but that they could safely invest in it and I think that's why this guitar place, and the former acoustic high end guitar place, settled in an art gallery town.

Just when I think I have seen it all, they have stuff that defies all logic. I also saw a chrome hardware Mary Kay Stratocaster instead of the regular gold hardware, and then right next to a gold metallic Stratocaster with the Mary Kay gold hardware, both guitars being original, atypical, and both being one of a kind! Totally insane and beautiful.

I mentioned to them of the absolute electric Holy Grail, aka the Gretsch White Penguin (not White Falcon) or the legendary, not yet proven late-50s Korina Gibson Thunderbolt, and I wouldn't be surprised if they produce stuff like that.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-07-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM

OMG. I would lose... my.... sh*t... if that open up by my house.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Wow. I bet they have killer insurance on that place.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahC View Post
I don't think robbers would hit that place since they could probably make off with a canvas in town in many locations worth more or hit a high end watch or jewelry place where it would be easier to conceal and resell on the black market. If somebody had a left handed Flying V for sale or Eric's Gibson, it would be well known that was stolen if that was the case. I think the chance of stealing a rare vintage guitar and getting caught is too high.

For us as guitar players who like collectible historical pieces, these things are amazing and expensive but for the general public, it's much harder to find a buyer vs. a painting from Peter Max or an original marine piece by Wyland (gallery stores here, too) or special edition $100K Patek watch which would impress a much larger audience. Vintage guitars are unique in that many of the most desirable pieces in this arena look like they have been dragged behind a semi.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahC View Post
Probably, but Carmel isn't exactly a hotbed for crime either. I might make a little roadtrip that way to check it out.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 AM

I love the owners quote in the link....

“Finding a rare guitar that you’ve been looking for is like a junkie finding heroin,” says shop business partner Mark Mancina.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
Probably, but Carmel isn't exactly a hotbed for crime either. I might make a little roadtrip that way to check it out.
There is also a pair of nice Ibanez dealers nearby (Salinas and Monterey) called Wise Music and Music Unlimited, respectively. We don't have anything big but somewhat further to the north on your way would be Guitar Center San Jose and Guitar Center Gilroy.

It's fairly safe and the crime here is almost exclusively gang on gang stuff, Nortenos vs. Surenos (practically half the hospitality industry in resort places in or near San Jose/SF/Oakland) and their fight over meth. Many years ago the fight was over crack, and before that cocaine, and before that pot.

It's the only county in California that is truly disputed between these two large gangs (because it's central) and that has led us to the highest murder rate west of Detroit in the USA (Salinas/Monterey areas), but it's almost exclusively gang on gang. As far as stealing vintage guitars, it's not their thing at all. Places that used to have zero crime, like ultra sleepy bedroom towns Soledad and Greenfield have now had shootings.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
(a)

Best part of the article...

Adds Michael, “It’s kind of the same as it is with women. You’re always looking for something better.” 

Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
I love the owners quote in the link....

“Finding a rare guitar that you’ve been looking for is like a junkie finding heroin,” says shop business partner Mark Mancina.
I wonder if that's the same Mark Mancina who co-wote some tracks on EL&P's "Black Moon" and was responsible for some keyboard parts on some later period Yes albums and also did a bunch of soundtrack and production work. Interesting.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Will pay a visit next weekend. Thx for sharing!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I wonder if that's the same Mark Mancina who co-wote some tracks on EL&P's "Black Moon" and was responsible for some keyboard parts on some later period Yes albums and also did a bunch of soundtrack and production work. Interesting.
I am headed there in a few minutes and it's a few minutes walking distance, too. I will ask. It's so convenient even though I can't afford anything there but the other two stores in person and online have a lot of affordable vintage stuff including a really cool early 80s Ibanez Artist.

Each of the three stores with the huge NY store and huge NM store as well as the Carmel boutique shop all seem to have managers. The owner visited down here the other day and may not have returned to NM yet. I like the idea of a kiosk type of store with a few hard hitting items sparking interest being a great advertisement for the large retail style stores they have elsewhere. Everything they have is so well set up that if you find something you like here you can be sure that a similar guitar in the big stores will be just as nicely set up.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Today's dog walking visit had me peek in the vintage store and I saw a 1950 Broadcaster that played pretty well. The frets had a lot of life left on them and the guitar was very, very light. I wish all teles were that light and it seemed like 5.5 to 6.0 pound range.

I also got to try out a "Pamelina H" recreation of Jimmy's painted white strat and it had a great neck as thin as some RGs but it wasn't any old Stratocaster but something from the custom shop thus the atypically thin neck.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM

While most of the stuff they have that gets attention is over 10 grand or 100 grand, they do have one location (no, won't tell) with a great deal on a 33 year old MIJ Ibby Artist.

They are literally the type of shop, due to small size but scope on ultra cool, to get Jems and Satch guitars, but actual instruments of guys like that if it's even possible. They have Allman Brothers type Alembic, but not just that which is a find in itself, but Dickey Betts' actual Alembic with name on fretboard in large abalone letters with provenance. This place is too crazy.

If I see owner I will hint on Ibby Paul Stanley that he may have let go of.

Show/Hide Posting Rules