<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 AM

LTD Kirk Hammett

I played one of these yesterday at GC. The neck felt even thinner to me than a Wizard Prestige. Usually I don't go for signature models, nor for guitars with skull and crossbone inlays, but the neck on this guitar was really nice!

I don't remember if it was a KH-202 or KH-602 model, though.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking

Re: LTD Kirk Hammett

You should try a real KH-2. Its even better!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:09 AM

Reviews: 6

Thinner? I doubt so man, ESP kh necks are pretty thick in comparison to a wizard neck. It may be on par with a wizard II, but that's not truly a wizard anyways. I have an ESP and it does have a nice profile. It's not exactly as thick as USA jacksons, but it's got some feel to it without being too thin. This is normally the case for neck thru's because you want to keep a heavy neck for tone, but you can't sacrifice playability too much, so it's a matter of finding a perfect mix. Like DC said, try the KH-2. You're in for a penny, you're in for a pound
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM

definitely go for the ESP KH2 over the LTD. love the neck on this guitar. now thinking of getting a ESP JH Snakebyte.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Thinner? I doubt so man, ESP kh necks are pretty thick in comparison to a wizard neck. It may be on par with a wizard II, but that's not truly a wizard anyways. I have an ESP and it does have a nice profile. It's not exactly as thick as USA jacksons, but it's got some feel to it without being too thin. This is normally the case for neck thru's because you want to keep a heavy neck for tone, but you can't sacrifice playability too much, so it's a matter of finding a perfect mix. Like DC said, try the KH-2. You're in for a penny, you're in for a pound
You know what, I may actually be confusing it with another guitar now that I think about it. I played so many the other day that after awhile they started blending together in my head. I definitely played one non-Ibanez guitar that surprised me with how thin its neck was, and it was some brand I had never played before. Crap, I should take notes. It could've been a Schecter, but I don't remember liking the Schecter that much.

I think this calls for a trip back to the store!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:29 PM

Reviews: 11

I can guarentee it wasn't a Schecter!

Unless, of course, it was part of the SLS series.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
I can guarentee it wasn't a Schecter!

Unless, of course, it was part of the SLS series.
I seem to recall not really being too fond of the Schecters I played, although I have no idea what models they were. I really should've taken notes while I was there.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
You know what, I may actually be confusing it with another guitar now that I think about it. I played so many the other day that after awhile they started blending together in my head. I definitely played one non-Ibanez guitar that surprised me with how thin its neck was, and it was some brand I had never played before. Crap, I should take notes. It could've been a Schecter, but I don't remember liking the Schecter that much.

I think this calls for a trip back to the store!
Any chance it could have been a Dean Rusty Cooley model? They have crazy thin necks.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 PM

I just picked up a KH-502 today on the cheap. Tearing it apart as I type. The neck is def thicker than Ibby necks I have, in fact its kind of chunky to me.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
I just picked up a KH-502 today on the cheap. Tearing it apart as I type. The neck is def thicker than Ibby necks I have, in fact its kind of chunky to me.
Yeah aren't they on sale at GC right now?

"tearing it apart" = playing it a lot or are you actually disassembling it?

Now I'm really curious what guitar it was. I'll have to go back next week.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:28 AM

I don't think they have made the 502 since the early 2000's although my LTD knowledge is not near as deep as my Ibbys, so im not sure GC would be having a sale on them. Tearing it apart as in actually taking it apart in pieces. This one was missing strings and the bridge was off kilter and there are a couple of dings on the edges I want to touch up. This is a neck thru like the current 602 model it just doesn't have the active EMGs it has the EMGHZ's.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Reviews: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I played one of these yesterday at GC. The neck felt even thinner to me than a Wizard Prestige. Usually I don't go for signature models, nor for guitars with skull and crossbone inlays, but the neck on this guitar was really nice!

I don't remember if it was a KH-202 or KH-602 model, though.
It would have been the 202 as the 602 is neck thru and therefore a bit thicker.
The ESP KH 2 custom shop bolt on is very thin.
The LTD KH 202 is a great cheaper guitar, whack in some 81's and your set!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
I don't think they have made the 502 since the early 2000's although my LTD knowledge is not near as deep as my Ibbys, so im not sure GC would be having a sale on them. Tearing it apart as in actually taking it apart in pieces. This one was missing strings and the bridge was off kilter and there are a couple of dings on the edges I want to touch up. This is a neck thru like the current 602 model it just doesn't have the active EMGs it has the EMGHZ's.
You know what, I was reading your post on my phone and I misread 502 as 202. My mistake. The KH-202s are on sale at Guitar Center right now.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM

It was in fact the KH-202 that had the thin neck. I played it back to back today with an RG471AH with a Wizard III neck.

The curvature on the sides is pretty similar, but the KH-202 feels flatter across the bottom. Sorry I don't know the terms to describe it, so I will MS Paint it:

They had the same radius, but the KH-202 felt like it was cut flatter on the bottom, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, the guitar at this location was in pretty ****ty condition, and so out of tune that even with the fine tuners in the bridge I couldn't get it in tune. But the neck was nice.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:50 PM

I've owned over 20 ESPs and none had as thin of a neck as any of my Ibanez.

Show/Hide Posting Rules