<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Maple Body Guitar Q's

I'm currently building a Soloist from Warmoth with only one bridge pickup, a floyd rose, and solid maple body. Idk which kind of maple they're using but from the reviews I've seen they use the hard maple that's like extremely heavy and bright. The neck I'm ordering from them is a Jackson styled neck with reverse headstock, maple shaft and rosewood fretboard. Now the question is what would be a pickup (other than the Screaming Demon) that would make it growl on the low end and not sound too harsh on the high end? I thought some possible pickups are the custom 5, PAF pro, full shred, '59 and Jb. Which would sound best? feel free to throw in any ideas. Thanx!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Reviews: 1

Re: Maple Body Guitar Q's

Dude... don't do the maple for the body. There is a good reason maple is not widely used as the core wood on guitar bodies and for the reasons you already stated. It's overly bright and brittle. Pickups effect on EQ is slight. Just as you can't change the fundamental voice of an amp with the tone knobs, you can't do it with a guitar with pickups.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Thanx for the reply, man. I know Maple isn't your typical corewood, but I just love the George Lynch Tone. As you can see, most of the specs on the project guitar is similar to Lynch's M-1 Tiger guitar. I use a Carvin X100B and the EQ on there should rly balance out the tone if it's overly bright. Plus I love 80's Carvin maple guitars. Idk, I kinda just don't want another dual humbucking mahogony guitar with flame maple top, u know?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Plus I'm pretty strong, I can handle the weight
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx for the reply, man. I know Maple isn't your typical corewood, but I just love the George Lynch Tone. As you can see, most of the specs on the project guitar is similar to Lynch's M-1 Tiger guitar. I use a Carvin X100B and the EQ on there should rly balance out the tone if it's overly bright. Plus I love 80's Carvin maple guitars. Idk, I kinda just don't want another dual humbucking mahogony guitar with flame maple top, u know?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibo24 View Post
I'm currently building a Soloist from Warmoth with only one bridge pickup, a floyd rose, and solid maple body. Idk which kind of maple they're using but from the reviews I've seen they use the hard maple that's like extremely heavy and bright. The neck I'm ordering from them is a Jackson styled neck with reverse headstock, maple shaft and rosewood fretboard. Now the question is what would be a pickup (other than the Screaming Demon) that would make it growl on the low end and not sound too harsh on the high end? I thought some possible pickups are the custom 5, PAF pro, full shred, '59 and Jb. Which would sound best? feel free to throw in any ideas. Thanx!

I don't think you're going to avoid brightness easily here. The JB is NOT a good choice here, as it has a pretty strong high end.

Look lower output than the ones on your list -- the maple body should give sustain for days, so higher output pickups will accentuate the highs.

A trip to Dimarzio's Pickup Picker (http://www.dimarzio.com/pickup-picker) will likely help, even though they don't list maple as an option. When I tried it with ash as the body wood choice, they suggested the Tone Zone.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Reviews: 1

The Dimarzio Super 3 and the Crunch Lab both have tempered highs.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

As someone who owns an M-1 Tiger, I say go for it. I'd substitute ebony for the fretboard though.

Lynch used a JB before Duncan made the Screamin' Demon. I'd say if you go Lynch tribute, you go all in. The one thing I wish my guitar had is a neck pickup. Lynch has used the ESP SH-100 rail pickup in the neck for a long time. I'd go with one of those and a 3-way switch.

I guess it depends on which Lynch sound you want? My personal preference is his Lynch Mob sound. This is a great example of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWntxpcq9FI

That's a solid quilt maple guitar with possibly a quilt maple neck. Fretboard is ebony on that guitar and it would be a Screamin' Demon in the bridge with the ESP rail pickup in the neck. The guitar has a middle pickup and tone control, but you'll notice that he never uses either, which is why his signature guitars do away with those.

You can see some Soldanos in the background (which he used on tour), but the album was recorded with a '72 Marshall Super Lead and Lynch has always used a variety of boost pedals.

Another detail you'll want to pay attention to is the nut width. You'll want to specify an R5 nut but then you want to put a smaller nut on there. Lynch uses a wider neck width at the nut but a standard nut.

Gives you a lot more room for all that vibrato

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 AM

I guess if I'm going with moderate output pickups then it would be between the dimarzio Paf the SD '59. However I heard the Paf in the bridge sounds really muddy. Or was that in the neck?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
As someone who owns an M-1 Tiger, I say go for it. I'd substitute ebony for the fretboard though.

Lynch used a JB before Duncan made the Screamin' Demon. I'd say if you go Lynch tribute, you go all in. The one thing I wish my guitar had is a neck pickup. Lynch has used the ESP SH-100 rail pickup in the neck for a long time. I'd go with one of those and a 3-way switch.

I guess it depends on which Lynch sound you want? My personal preference is his Lynch Mob sound. This is a great example of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWntxpcq9FI

That's a solid quilt maple guitar with possibly a quilt maple neck. Fretboard is ebony on that guitar and it would be a Screamin' Demon in the bridge with the ESP rail pickup in the neck. The guitar has a middle pickup and tone control, but you'll notice that he never uses either, which is why his signature guitars do away with those.

You can see some Soldanos in the background (which he used on tour), but the album was recorded with a '72 Marshall Super Lead and Lynch has always used a variety of boost pedals.

Another detail you'll want to pay attention to is the nut width. You'll want to specify an R5 nut but then you want to put a smaller nut on there. Lynch uses a wider neck width at the nut but a standard nut.

Gives you a lot more room for all that vibrato
Dude, that is a beautiful guitar, that must've set u back alot, haha? I'm not really going for a Lynch Tribute as much as the idea on his signature guitar. His M1 inspired me to keep things simple, like only put in what i actually will use. I don't think Im gonna use the lynch styled nech cuz from what Ive heard they're MASSIVE! My hands can barely handle a normal American Strat neck, let alone something that big. As for the fretboard, I have a ESP Viper with Ebony fretboard, and frankly that's the only part about that guitar that I don't like. It doesn't feel smooth at all. On your M1, did u swap the Screamin demon for something else or did u just keep it stock? I actually was thinking about putting in a JB but like Philboski said, it's like putting a bright pickup in a bright guitar. I heard that putting in 250k pots will warm up the tone, is that true?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
I don't think you're going to avoid brightness easily here. The JB is NOT a good choice here, as it has a pretty strong high end.

Look lower output than the ones on your list -- the maple body should give sustain for days, so higher output pickups will accentuate the highs.

A trip to Dimarzio's Pickup Picker (http://www.dimarzio.com/pickup-picker) will likely help, even though they don't list maple as an option. When I tried it with ash as the body wood choice, they suggested the Tone Zone.
Dude, I tried it and they gave me 3 rly high output pickups. Do you have any experience with the '59? If yes please enlighten.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon View Post
The Dimarzio Super 3 and the Crunch Lab both have tempered highs.
What does the Super 3 sound like? how does it sound compared to the PAF?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibo24 View Post
Dude, that is a beautiful guitar, that must've set u back alot, haha? I'm not really going for a Lynch Tribute as much as the idea on his signature guitar. His M1 inspired me to keep things simple, like only put in what i actually will use. I don't think Im gonna use the lynch styled nech cuz from what Ive heard they're MASSIVE! My hands can barely handle a normal American Strat neck, let alone something that big. As for the fretboard, I have a ESP Viper with Ebony fretboard, and frankly that's the only part about that guitar that I don't like. It doesn't feel smooth at all. On your M1, did u swap the Screamin demon for something else or did u just keep it stock? I actually was thinking about putting in a JB but like Philboski said, it's like putting a bright pickup in a bright guitar. I heard that putting in 250k pots will warm up the tone, is that true?
I actually paid amazingly little for it, $1300 shipped and it's dead mint. If you have small hands you may not like the Lynch neck, but I wouldn't call it massive. It's like a wide Strat neck, but it's still smaller than a 7 string neck.

The guitar is all stock, so it has the Screamin' Demon in it. Not sure about the volume pot. That's actually a mid output pickup, similar to a PAF Pro. It's mostly just that it's EQ-tweaked, kind of like a FRED to a PAF Pro.

It's odd that you have a guitar with an ebony fretboard that isn't smooth? I have one guitar with an ebony fretboard and it's almost as smooth as maple.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I actually paid amazingly little for it, $1300 shipped and it's dead mint. If you have small hands you may not like the Lynch neck, but I wouldn't call it massive. It's like a wide Strat neck, but it's still smaller than a 7 string neck.

The guitar is all stock, so it has the Screamin' Demon in it. Not sure about the volume pot. That's actually a mid output pickup, similar to a PAF Pro. It's mostly just that it's EQ-tweaked, kind of like a FRED to a PAF Pro.

It's odd that you have a guitar with an ebony fretboard that isn't smooth? I have one guitar with an ebony fretboard and it's almost as smooth as maple.
Idk, it's not as smooth as rosewood. And damn! That is an amazing deal!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 PM

I'm sorta thinking about doing a HSH configuration now............

Tags
maple body, pickups, solid body

Show/Hide Posting Rules