Maple or Ebony fretboard? - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Maple or Ebony fretboard?

I plan on buying a Carvin bolt by the end of the summer. I know I want a Mahogony body, and I know I dont want a Rosewood fretboard (Carvin's rosewood looks like crap, and it feels a little slow for me) so that leaves Birdseye Maple (Birdseye, of course!!) or Ebony. I know that either will balance pretty well with the Mahogony body, but Ive heard some very good things and some very bad things about ebony, and Im not sure if I want maple or not. So could someone help me out with suggestions on the whole ebony thing? Ive never even played an ebony board, so I just dont know. Thanks dudes!
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 AM

Re: Maple or Ebony fretboard?

Ebony is awesome. Its my favorite for feel alone.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 AM

Ebony is pretty slick, but boring to look at. Maple will have clear coat on it...
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:30 AM

Ebony is my first choice.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 AM

To me Ebony is just dark Maple so ya can't lose either way

Smoooooothhhhh
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:43 AM

Ebony !!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 AM

I prefer ebony over maple but it really depends on your needs. For a mahogany body I'd probably go with a maple board for a snapier attack. Not that ebony lacks it but it also adds a lot of low end to the sound... anyway you should really be asking youself what kind of sound do you want and choose the board wood that will get you there. Good luck!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 AM

I can't tell the difference in a blind test, so I wouldn't mind half and half...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I love thick, warm tone with a bright aftertaste. In the event that I dont like the Carvin pickups, Ill replace them with a Norton in the bridge, Cruiser in the mid, and Air Norton S in the neck. I use a Carvin V3 with EL34s, but the tone switch is on "thick," which has a tube rectifier-like sag. Either maple or ebony will look great with the Classic white body (and tortoise pickguard...mmm) and will match well with the mahogony. So apparently you all think ebony is amazing, and I already know that maple is amazing, so I guess its just a looks decision now. Thanks dudes!
smitty
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:30 PM

maple no question for me, don't forget to opt for stainless steel frets.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:49 PM

go for both
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 PM

maple!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Man im just not sure! Im glad Im gonna be buying at the end of the summer, lots of time to think!
smitty
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0 View Post
I prefer ebony over maple but it really depends on your needs. For a mahogany body I'd probably go with a maple board for a snapier attack. Not that ebony lacks it but it also adds a lot of low end to the sound... anyway you should really be asking youself what kind of sound do you want and choose the board wood that will get you there. Good luck!
actually ebony is a very bright sounding wood. some argue even brighter sounding than maple. in a choice between these two, i'd say it's more of an aesthetic preference since they both represent similar ends of the eq spectrum.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
actually ebony is a very bright sounding wood. some argue even brighter sounding than maple. in a choice between these two, i'd say it's more of an aesthetic preference since they both represent similar ends of the eq spectrum.
Yeah, exactly. Ive actually been thinking about getting Rosewood and asking Carvin to get me a nice dark beautiful slab of it rather than their usual light tan/brown kind. I know it would probably suit my tonal needs better than ebony or maple, but also I would like to try something different. Do you think the warmth factor will be NOTICEABLY warmer with rosewood than with maple or ebony? Or would it just be something I can sort out with my amp?
smitty

Tags
air norton , carvin bolt , clear coat , ebony board , ebony fretboard , mahogany body , mahogony body , rosewood fretboard , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode