<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM

my 50$ guitar in box.

I was in a Sherwin Williams automotive paint store today buying a clear for my RG 'carbon fiber' refinish project and the sales guy said 'hey I have a guitar here I painted using our planet color series paints if you want to see it'.

Basically a guy was going to pay him 50$ to paint the guitar, after painting the guy never paid or picked up the guitar.....for over 4 years!!!!

He said "I will sell it to you for the 50$ I was supposed to get paid".

It turns out that it is a MIM 'Squire Series' strat, completely disassembled with all its parts in a box.

The 'Squire Series' were American made bodies and necks, shipped to Mexico, painted and assembled, its true they used horse poop hardware and PUs but the bodies and necks were made in the same factory (same wood) as the USA guitars!!!! These were made in a transitional period before the Mexican strats had the tooling to make necks and bodies; once Mexico could make necks and bodies the 'Squire' named guitar models began production in Asia with crap hardware and plywood bodies and the Mexican strat became a less expensive version of the US strat.

This one was made in 94 and is very pretty with its metallic sparkle blue paint! It does SCREAM for nice hardware and PUs. I am almost disappointed the paint is so nice as I would of liked to refinish it myself. I will however show how to do your own shell inlays (no 'stickers') WITHOUT removing frets.
I am also going to do a high end hardware PU upgrade.

I swore I would NEVER own a Fender guitar.....but for 50$!!!!

~JH
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Reviews: 15

Re: my 50$ guitar in box.

Nice catch for $50!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a total sucker for sparkle guitars
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Reviews: 37

The razor blade with tape trick for inlays?
im going to design a tool soon for that .
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Reviews: 4

Good score!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM

New parts....lets just say I could of got a pretty nice guitar for what these cost!!!!

The new bridge hole spacing was slightly off. Easy fix....

New vs old

synthetic bone nut, after some shaving locked it in. Still needs to be filed and dressed.

new PUs wired and in!!!
Truth is the 'holes' in the PU base were untapped and smaller then the screws. I had to hog the holes out for them to start. Not real happy with that all things considered.

New tuning machines (locking Fender), strings and basic set up!!! Its funny because the PUs are real monsters, the tone sounds fantastic. I hate to sound cliche but it really does sound like SRVs tone!
I am still not a fan of Fender guitars; out of the 25+ guitars I have this is my FIRST and only Fender. In truth I am glad to have one after all these years.

The volume pot is crap....jumping and popping. I have decided to change the switches, pots, caps and jack.....after all....its the ONLY things not standard or custom shop Fender. I am also going to change the waterslide logo on the headstock.

~JH
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
(a)

Those Texas Specials are great pickups. I've gone through a few sets of Fender single coils and the Specials are the only ones I ever got along with
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Those Texas Specials are great pickups. I've gone through a few sets of Fender single coils and the Specials are the only ones I ever got along with
I got these based on the overwhelming positive reviews. Its funny that now that the guitar is properly set up through my rig it is quite capable for legato runs and arpeggios and has a very unique sound when shredding....in the neck PU; the bridge PU does not like that much gain (*although great for what it is).

It would be a VERY interesting experiment to use one of these Texas Special neck PUs in the single slot on a Jem or RG.

BTW:

I found an page about the 'Squire Series' guitars and how they are NOT Squires but a transitional 'American made bodies/necks assembled in Mexico with Asian parts'.

If someone finds a deal on a 'Squire Series' and has some coin to upgrade the cheap hardware it is very possible to make a damn fine strat for waaayyy less then buying one.
(*I would NOT recommend a strat as your ONLY guitar however!)

http://davel.hubpages.com/hub/The-Fe...Typical-Squier

~JH

Show/Hide Posting Rules