<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:00 AM

NAMM 2002: Peavey V-Type Guitar - Return of the Vandenberg?

This was the last guitar i expected to make a comeback.

Weird. I wonder what brought this on?
Old 01-26-2002, 02:48 AM

NAMM 2002: Peavey V-Type Guitar

Darren, thank you sooo much for posting this! I had no idea Peavey was remaking these. Kick-a$$! I wanted one of those *back in 88, couldn't afford one at the time. I think Vandenbergs are cool. Easy playing with that 24 3/4's neck scale. *Any suggested retail on it? Got a clue?

(Edited by jeffery at 3:13 am on Jan. 26, 2002)
Old 01-26-2002, 09:01 AM

I haven't seen any pricing info, but in addition to the USA version, they also have a Korean version called the V-Type EXP. Both the USA and Korean versions are available with either a Floyd or string-through-body Tune-O-Matic-style bridge, so i'm sure there will be one in your price range!
Old 01-26-2002, 01:55 PM

A local pawn shop has one of those (I'm assuming original since the reissue just came out, and this has been in the shop for years) in their window. *Decent price too if I remember correctly. *All black with a Floyd.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:21 AM

Why an re-issue? *Cause it was popular.....they sold over 5000 units in the 3 years they were made. *Not bad for Peavey and a relatively unknown named Vandenberg especially considering there was no low-end variants and they listed for like $900 (even more for the custom/quilt models) back in 88'. *

Whether you like the body shape or not....the original Vandenberg had one of the thinnest and fastest necks ever . * IMO: beats the Wizard/Ultra necks hands down. *The PAF-like humbucker was also very cool - back off on the volume and it changes character completely. * My 89' is still my main player, completely "relic"-ed but still rock solid. * :biggrin:

Anyone see a old neck-thru model please let me know. *
Old 01-27-2002, 01:08 AM

I don't think it's a "reissue" in the strictest sense... it's a new model name, and i think they've simplified some of the guitar's attributes, but it's the same overall shape, and most of the specs are similar. Notice it doesn't seem to have the multi-level routing on the face of the headstock like the original... likely a cost-saving feature deletion. The body is also alder, and i think the original Vandenbergs were poplar (later with figured maple tops), so there are some differences. You'd have to play one to find out if they changed the neck profiles and other specs.

I find it interesting that Charvel is back, the Gap is doing lots of day-glo colours, and now Peavey brings this back out of the vaults.

Could be a good time to buy stock hairspray and spandex companies.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:15 AM

Does anyone know of the quality of the Floyd on these? Is it a "real" Floyd? I love the pick-up combo. The single/hum configuration is my favorite. Not to mention a volume knob placed somewhat out of the way and an ebony board. Also made right here in USA. I think Peavey has done a good thing! Right about the thin neck too. I don't normally like thin necks because of the comfort factor but for some reason I do like the thin necks on the old Vandenbergs. Hope the new one is just like it.

Tags
body shape, ebony board, neck scale

Show/Hide Posting Rules