nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924 - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: miami
Posts: 5
nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

I was looking for a guitar with a maple neck other than fenders and found the rg3XXV and the laguna le924(greg howe signature model) but i am not sure which one to get. i know that the laguna is 400 bucks more than the ibanez which cost around 600. the laguna looks kinda bigger though but it looks awesome specially in orange
Has anyone tried any of those? how are they?

links
ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3XXV

playlaguna.com/models/index.cfm?model=le924
smokeyman992 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,114
Reviews: 2
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Just in comparison of specs, I would pick the RG3xxv. It's NOT because I'm an Ibanez player, but rather, because on paper the RG3 is a better built guitar.

The RG3 neck is 3-piece rock maple- The 924 is one piece. The 3-piece will be more stable.

The bridge pickup in the RG3 is a real DiMarzio D-activator- The 924 has a laguna spec GH-5?? Probably made by DiMarzio but similar to the "DiMarzio/IBZ" pickups in quality and tone.

Both have an Air Norton S in the neck position

Both have liscensed trem's, but the EZII in the RG3 is proven to be stable and reliable. No unbiased, educated reviews of the Laguna bridge can be found......... The only review I could find that mentioned the laguna trem had the owner wanting to switch it out for a Schaller OFR.

The RG3 is FAR better looking IMO.


RGTFanatic is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: miami
Posts: 5
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

and what about the RG920MQM?
smokeyman992 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,114
Reviews: 2
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Well, the premium is certainly the nicest looking guitar out of all of them. It's also quite a bit more in price than the RG3. All the extra money is centered in the Premium neck. The fret treatment is FAR better on the premium AND your getting a 5-piece with a volute and titanium reinforcement rods. I'm not sure if the RG3 has a volute, but I don't think it does.

You'll also be losing the DiMarzio's on the Premium. They come with the DiMarzio/IBZ pups that I mentioned above. Some people love them, but most change them out.

Is the extra couple hundred $$ worth it.......... IMO, yes for that neck!!!


RGTFanatic is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 63
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

I had the Laguna LE924 and it was a pretty good guitar but not worth the asking price. I got a good deal on it used, wouldn't have paid the new price. The guitar played well but the hardware was pretty cheap considering it sells for a grand new. No name tuners, pots, input jack, and floyd copy. For the money, the Charvel san dimas, so-cals, etc. were much better and they were priced the same but the Charvels had better componets. Never played the RG3. Might want to look at the new Jacksons or a used Jackson DK2M.

Last edited by chrisgr; 12-09-2012 at 12:31 AM.
chrisgr is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 AM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,114
Reviews: 2
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgr View Post
I had the Laguna LE924 and it was a pretty good guitar but not worth the asking price. I got a good deal on it used, wouldn't have paid the new price. The guitar played well but the hardware was pretty cheap considering it sells for a grand new. No name tuners, pots, input jack, and floyd copy. For the money, the Charvel san dimas, so-cals, etc. were much better and they were priced the same but the Charvels had better componets. Never played the RG3.
Great point!! when you get into the near $1k area, there's a LOT more out there to consider over an artist sig Laguna, or even a Premium RG.


RGTFanatic is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Columbus GA
Posts: 430
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

GH5 is a real American made DiMarzio... Steve Blucher designed that for Greg Howe.
JackButlerGOT is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,081
Reviews: 130
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

The RG3XX is an amazing guitar. I also recently picked up an S570MQMBBB. Can't go wrong with either. Extremely versatile!
racerevlon is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 AM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,114
Reviews: 2
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackButlerGOT View Post
GH5 is a real American made DiMarzio... Steve Blucher designed that for Greg Howe.
That's what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The bridge pickup in the RG3 is a real DiMarzio D-activator- The 924 has a laguna spec GH-5?? Probably made by DiMarzio but similar to the "DiMarzio/IBZ" pickups in quality and tone.

Both have an Air Norton S in the neck position


RGTFanatic is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Columbus GA
Posts: 430
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

ahhh.. see kids.. probably shouldn't be posting on post surgery pain meds! lol
JackButlerGOT is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 189
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyman992 View Post
and what about the RG920MQM?
I have the RG920MQM and RG3XXV. As previously mentioned, the neck on the Premium is just as good, if not better, than most Prestige models. Tone-wise, they both sound killer in distortion mode, but the RG920MQM sounds considerably clearer in the clean channel. In clean mode, the RG3XXV sounds decent in positions 2, 3 and 4, but the pickups by themselves in full humbucker mode; especially the neck pickup, sound extremely muffled in comparison. So for an extra $300, the RG920MQM is well worth the cash, unless you're a Grunge/Punk player, whose idea of pristine clean, is rolling off the volume in heavy distortion mode


Disregard post. I was referring to the RG920QM with the rosewood fingerboard, not the RG920MQM with the maple fingerboard, which I don't have.

Maybe Rosewood sounds cleaner and smoother in the clean channel than Maple

Last edited by TheTranslator; 01-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
TheTranslator is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 189
Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyman992 View Post
I was looking for a guitar with a maple neck other than fenders and found the rg3XXV and the laguna le924(greg howe signature model) but i am not sure which one to get. i know that the laguna is 400 bucks more than the ibanez which cost around 600. the laguna looks kinda bigger though but it looks awesome specially in orange
Has anyone tried any of those? how are they?

links
ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3XXV

playlaguna.com/models/index.cfm?model=le924
The RG3XXV sounds incredible with distortion (through a good amp), but the clean tone is questionable, to say the least.
TheTranslator is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Quebec
Posts: 3
Talking Re: nez RGXXV vs Laguna LE924

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
... because on paper the RG3 is a better built guitar.
Really? Proof?
The LE924 is assembled and set up in the USA, vs Ibanez in Indonesia.

Quote:
The RG3 neck is 3-piece rock maple- The 924 is one piece. The 3-piece will be more stable.
Not really. One piece is rock solid, thats why Fender has been making them for over 60 years and they last!

Quote:
The bridge pickup in the RG3 is a real DiMarzio D-activator- The 924 has a laguna spec GH-5?? Probably made by DiMarzio but similar to the "DiMarzio/IBZ" pickups in quality and tone.
The GH-5 is DiMarzio's Greg Howe signature pickup, better definition and clarity than a D-Activator.

Quote:
Both have liscensed trem's, but the EZII in the RG3 is proven to be stable and reliable.
The Laguna Floyd is a Schaller - Germany made - and very a good trem, in fact the original Floyd is made by Schaller, and many think Schallers own version is the best version. The nez trem is good too of course.

Quote:
No unbiased, educated reviews of the Laguna bridge can be found......... The only review I could find that mentioned the laguna trem had the owner wanting to switch it out for a Schaller OFR.
The fact that Greg Howe actually plays this everywhere is review enough for me. ;-)
javelin is offline  
Reply

Tags
25th anniversary rg , ibanez , laguna , rg3

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Laguna 924 (Greg Howe Sig model) TMatt142 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 08-13-2011 03:22 PM
Laguna guitar project NeoSoftware Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 1 01-07-2010 12:29 PM
The Greg Howe Laguna LE924FRTAO Darin Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 18 02-21-2009 05:38 PM
laguna? alecmm61 Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 6 05-24-2008 09:27 PM
Laguna Guitars jairic Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) 20 12-06-2007 03:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome