Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD 12/07/08

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Flobanez 
#1 ·
I'm on my way to pick it up. Pics when I get back home.......

#11 ·
NGD

Actually, I meant be like Ayrton in that I will start a thread before the item is here.
Anyway, pics like I promised.

Case:

Interior

Full

Close up

Head

Stats:
Mahogany/flame maple
Ebony board
57 Classic/ 57 Classic + (N/B)
Gold Fretwire
Steinberger gearless tuners
Ted McCarthy designed Logo (big deal)

Body feels slightly smaller than a standard Explorer, but not as small as the Pro. The 50th Ann. V felt alot like my old V-90, so I'm guessing this is based on the Explorer 90.

#13 ·
Diggin' the inlays and the white neck binding. If that ages to cream after a few years it'll look awesome. Not to poop on your NGD b/c the guitar looks great but isn't that kind of a lackluster flame top for $2000+? It's probably just one of those things that doesnt come out right in pics but looks different in person though. And are those the 40:1 gearless tuners? How are they? I was thinking of getting some for one of my guitars but they're pretty expensive (online search shows they're about 100 bucks).

#14 ·
Diggin' the inlays. Not to poop on your NGD b/c the guitar looks great but isn't that kind of a lackluster flame top for $2000+? It's probably just one of those things that doesnt come out right in pics but looks different in person though. And are those the 40:1 gearless tuners? How are they? I was thinking of getting some for one of my guitars but they're pretty expensive (online search shows they're about 100 bucks).
Sometimes the best flames are the most subtle ones, IMO. I hate those wavy extreme quilt tops.

Nice guitar Cid!!!

#21 ·
Congrats. I never figured you as an Explorer kinda guy but I knew when I saw the pic of the case that is was an Explorer.

I have always liked Explorers, just keep getting put off by the price hikes they had had this past year. Let us know how she sounds and plays for you.

~Bones

#24 ·
Momma always said if you can't say somethin good, then don't say nuthin at all.

It's not at my house... GOOD ! ;)
Just not a fan of the Explorer style. prolly has sustain for days, but just don't get on with them, or V's for that matter. No, it wouldn't help if it were pink with a monkey grip, I'd be afraid I'd snap of the tail piece the 1st time I played out with it.

#28 ·
SS

I'll let you know how the tuners hold up when I get to really work them out.
Mich, I'll work on a close up of the logo for you. The one they put on the 50th Ann. V was pretty cool I though.

It's a little more metal looking than I like, but I think the body shape is so comfortable to play sitting down it makes up for it.

#29 ·
SS

I'll let you know how the tuners hold up when I get to really work them out.
Mich, I'll work on a close up of the logo for you. The one they put on the 50th Ann. V was pretty cool I though.

It's a little more metal looking than I like, but I think the body shape is so comfortable to play sitting down it makes up for it.
Thanks cid, sounds good. 40:1 is one hell of a gear ratio...And yeah I recently got a custom explorer and I was somewhat worried about playing it sitting down but its as comfortable as my other guitars if not more so, the contours lend themselves very well to playing sitting down. I don't have my strap up here so I can't vouch for playing them standin' up, but sitting down they're very comfy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.