Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD: 2011 PRS Studio

Tags
ngd studio
7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Djentygoodness 
#1 ·
Sooo I just graduated college, and as an extremely gracious gift I have received this unimaginable beauty. I'm used to shredder guitars, and have never owned a PRS before (somewhat due to the sheer unattainable amount of dough to pick one up), but man this guitar makes me want to quit all that and play blues the rest of my life.

The neck is actually pretty hefty (it's definitely no wizard) but still very comfortable and for some reason, extremely playable with a relatively round (compared to what you guys are used to) 12" radius. The fret ends/fret tops are polished perfectly, the finish is perfect, the locking tuners actually work well, and the fact that somehow PRS had the time to sign mine doesn't hurt either...

BTW, Those funny pickups in the middle and neck position are called "narrowfields" for those who are scratching their heads (I sure was). They are humbuckers except their magnetic field picks up a shorter section of the string. They sound a bit single-coiley, but still kinda phatt, and I am DIGGIN em... The 57/08 in the bridge also gets pretty hot, hot enough for some metal through a 6505.

Basically, I am in love, and had to share with all of you. Now on to the pics!

This is my face right now -> (^_^)

See less See more
#13 ·
Haha no worries, and thanks!

That guitar screams 'WIN'!!!

I love PRS quality, especially them older/pre-CNC geets (nothing wrong with a PRS 513 BRW or ME 1, though :D).
The new Signature line and Dweezil Zappa's Sig. have got me GASsing pretty heavily, but my 1988 and 1986 Customs serve me preeeeeetty well ;) (for the time being...)
Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to play a pre-CNC PRS, although all the guitars I've played have been at least partly CNC'ed so I wouldn't even know. Btw I'm curious I haven't seen too many older PRS guitars and am curious to see if they relic gracefully if you have any pics on hand :].

Congratulations on the graduation and congratulations on that BEAUTIFUL guitar!

PRS = utmost craftsmanship and quality
Thanks! Honestly I used to think PRS guitars were just overpriced pretty wallhangers, but now I understand, haha.

Beautiful.. :')
Thank you as well good sir.

I've been DYING to get my hands on one of those. Looks fantastic! How do you find the narrowfield pups? Whats the tonal range like? I notice they also upgraded the pickup rings they use, they are far more rounded off than before, very nice! Have you played other PRSi before? How does the phase III tuners compare to the others? Congrats on graduating and the awesome acquisition!
The narrowfields are very versatile. They don't really sound like single coils, but they also don't really sound like humbuckers either... They're somewhere in between. They still produce a humbucker type warmth and fatness, but at the same time they have a bite to them that lets the notes pierce through with more clarity than your average neck humbucker. The neck pup sounds really good for sweeping because you can really hear the arpeggios clearly! I don't really use the middle narrowfield, and at first it would sometimes get in the way of picking, so I lowered it to be flush with the pup rings. I have only played a few PRSi before, and I admit that I kind of had a stigma against them simply based on those large neck heels, though I see now that it really doesn't get in the way. The phase III tuners work very well, I can't compare them to the phase II or vintage since I've never used them, but I'd say they are of the same quality as the gotoh magnum locks on my ESP, though honestly I do like how the gotohs automatically lock the strings. The exposed gears, however, are really cool and unique, and the guitar itself stays in tune very well. Overall I'm overjoyed with this guitar, and would definitely recommend it, even more than my ESP Horizon (which is saying a lot).

That looks absolutely gorgeous, man.
Thanks. Photographing it with my girlfriends $4k camera helped as well haha, but it really does look that good ^_^.

Man I love NGDs

#8 ·
That guitar screams 'WIN'!!!

I love PRS quality, especially them older/pre-CNC geets (nothing wrong with a PRS 513 BRW or ME 1, though :D).
The new Signature line and Dweezil Zappa's Sig. have got me GASsing pretty heavily, but my 1988 and 1986 Customs serve me preeeeeetty well ;) (for the time being...)

#11 ·
I've been DYING to get my hands on one of those. Looks fantastic! How do you find the narrowfield pups? Whats the tonal range like? I notice they also upgraded the pickup rings they use, they are far more rounded off than before, very nice! Have you played other PRSi before? How does the phase III tuners compare to the others? Congrats on graduating and the awesome acquisition!

#15 ·
Congrats. That truly is a special gift so make sure you always keep that guitar.

I have three PRS... a CE-24, Navarro Custom 24, and a Korina Santana and I have to say that bar none PRS guitars are the best large scale manufactured guitars on the planet. You just have to sit down with one for about 10 minutes and you are probably going to be a PRS player for life.

In regards to the neck joint, it works and works well. Don't let looks fool you, its completely functional and might even rival the AANJ in terms of comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.