NGD - Chapman ML1N - Page 2 - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM
dex

Re: NGD - Chapman ML1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1Gibson View Post
Further follow-up. It's being a real joy to slowly break in. But the edges of the top seem very unfinished... rough round the edges. I will remember to ask them....
Just get some 0000 steel wool (B&Q sell it) and tackle the edges yourself. If you don't feel you should be doing that on a brand new guitar just take the guitar back to Andertons, they have a tech (or two) on staff and they'll smooth the edges for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Andertons seemed clueless when I went to them. Going to visit a local luthier tomorrow....
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

So finally this replies come in, and they say as it is cosmetic then they effectively don't care. They will fix it for a cost.

I've told them to sling their hook. Andertons and Chapman no longer will get my money.

I'm taking it to a local luthier to get his take on it - hopefully it's a cheap easy fix!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:49 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1Gibson View Post
So finally this replies come in, and they say as it is cosmetic then they effectively don't care. They will fix it for a cost.
That's crazy, who said that Chapman or Andertons?
What exactly is the issue? Are the edges of the binding not beveled properly? Is it sharp all over or just in spots?
Did you go to Andertons with the guitar and did they call the tech over to have a look or did they send you away? I must admit I would have stood there and asked for the tech to come over and see the issue.
Still can't believe they refused to have a look and fix it. If it is badly beveled binding edges it's an easy fix. A proper tech will just shave them in seconds with a stanley knife and then smooth it with ultra fine sandpaper or 0000 steel wool.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I took the guitar to Guitar Works, close to me today. I have left it there for a set up and finish. There have been a flurry of emails over the last few days between Andertons, Chapman and myself. The message of 'we will charge to fix' disappeared, and they have now offered to pick it up for free and get it inspected (too late).

I didn't know they had guitar techs in house. I have asked why this wasn't offered when I made the 120 mile round trip to them... I have also asked why cosmetic issues are not covered, as they are with every other product I can think of. 'Here's your new car - sorry the pain is lumpy, but that's only cosmetic, so it isn't covered'.

My take home is that I have lost trust in Chapman and Andertons. A real shame, as I wanted to spend a lot more money there.

Guitar Works said that it shouldn't take much at all (much like you suggest, but instead 1000 grit wet and dry paper). They are also doing a setup - the action was a little high. The cost is less than what I saved for buying it in the sale event, so I'm 10 up. GW also said the top was really nice, so that's cool.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Kinda suspect to me that they are just now reaching out to make right on your purchase???? AFTER you have called them out on a forum. Looks bad on them.
Glad you found a competent shop to repair what they either couldn't/refused to/didn't want to fix...irrelevant since they sent you packing.

Tags
chapman , chapman guitars , ml11n

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode