NGD - Chapman ML1N - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

NGD - Chapman ML1N

So something I haven't seen on here before....

Firstly, a real case was a nice surprise.

During the unveiling....

Here she is.

It's a Chapman ML1N Norseman in Midgardsormen Raw.

The back

First thoughts.... it's nearly as heavy as my Universe 7 string. There was a small amount of sawdust in the packaging, but everything else was lovely. Just need to finish my day and 'reward' myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:00 PM

Re: NGD - Chapman ML1N

Looks great! Congrats! I'm intrigued by the Chapmans and I think Rob should be commended for putting so much effort into creating a genuinely decent UK guitar company. I'm looking forward to getting back to the UK to try some out. Happy NGD to you matey!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 1

Firstly, HNGD those are some of my favourite days, but I'm very sceptical about Chapman as a guitar company.

As far as I know, it's basically some random internet blogger dude fronting one of the Korean factories that everyone used to be wary about just a few years ago, bankrolled by the owner of one of the big UK guitar shops... I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected.

It's not like it's they're actually built in the UK is it?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Firstly, HNGD those are some of my favourite days, but I'm very sceptical about Chapman as a guitar company.

As far as I know, it's basically some random internet blogger dude fronting one of the Korean factories that everyone used to be wary about just a few years ago, bankrolled by the owner of one of the big UK guitar shops... I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected.

It's not like it's they're actually built in the UK is it?
I think that's a bit harsh. He's certainly used social media well to build an online following, and is now capitalising on that with his guitar range (yes, made overseas). If it's working for him, and people are happy with the guitars, what's wrong with that? From what I've read, and I've never played one of these, they are excellent budget guitars.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
I think that's a bit harsh. He's certainly used social media well to build an online following, and is now capitalising on that with his guitar range (yes, made overseas). If it's working for him, and people are happy with the guitars, what's wrong with that? From what I've read, and I've never played one of these, they are excellent budget guitars.
It might be harsh (maybe I'm jealous ) but I think it's fair.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the guitars either, but we've both been around long enough to remember the opinions held of the vast majority of the MIK instruments from 'back in the day'. Quality has no doubt improved over the years which is great though.

I can't quite put my finger on the issue I have with them, but the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's because I'm old and don't get social media, or maybe because I don't get social media that I see them for what they are, perfectly adequate Korean guitars.

Again, I hope Don loves it and honestly wish him HNGD
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I can't quite put my finger on the issue I have with them, but the whole thing just doesn't sit right with me.
Because they are cheaply made copies, from a company fronted by a very irritating bloke? That would be fair criticism!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 PM

It's true that they're produced in South Korea. I still think it's commendable how much effort the guy has put into both the 'guitar company' & the videos he's posted, both by himself (lessons for the benefit of others for example), and for the company he works for/with even if he possibly has been bankrolled. If that's the case how many other UK guitar shops would bankroll a similar enterprise? Probably not many. At least they stand by what they sell, cheaply made copies or not. You can literally contact the guy directly to complain if you needed to. Hardly a faceless brand, hehehe!
I mean to say in this day & age of internet everything it's quite something to still have people who will invest time and/or money into good old fashioned real life music making when it's hardly a hugely profitable business, especially in 'Great' Britain. I think it contributes to the ongoing story of the UK music scene that has given us so many great bands, musicians and incredible music in the past. Wouldn't it be cool to see someone rise up to hit the musical history books playing a UK run guitar company's guitar instead of the usual suspects? Maybe Don1Gibson will be the one!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Ha - my playing 'style' is closer to a shaven ape artlessly pulling at strings, whilst looking surprised that an actual note came out.

Chapman..... I was very dubious as well to start with. But having spent the last month or so on gardening leave, I have actually had time to catch up on stuff. So from what I understand, the guitar brand is owned by Rob and run by Matt, Lee (Anderton - a large guitar shop in the UK), and maybe 'bea.

They use social media to interact with their buying demographic and help hone designs and ideas. I would say that is very smart, as they know what will work before they even get to prototype stage. In turn, the buying public will be aware that something they want will be coming out in (x) months, so they can save, purchase and play a guitar that they helped design.
They do attempt to do quite bold design decisions - the 'Ghost Fret' was so called as they were attempting to make the highest three strings fretless. Alas they couldn't get the manufacturing sorted out on that one.

I like the way they are getting their name out by ground swell in social media, and supporting lesser-known musicians - Rob Scallon for example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdKxuQqNz8
As for Mr Chapman himself. I don't mind him. He seems like someone you could have a good chat with at the pub. He also seems a really genuine guy. This video - at the 9:00 minute mark, he gets surprised. Have a look at how genuinely he's touched by a friends thoughtfulness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FX5-anR6Ag

For the company being British and not building in Britain.... Not a surprise. 99% of our bikes get built outside the UK (Boardman Vs Orange for example). We can produce amazing stuff - it just costs a fair amount (Aston Martin anyone?).

Back to the guitar itself. It's already feeling wonderful. A strange feeling on the fret board - not unfinished, but you know the more you play, the more it;'s going to settle in to what you want to do. That I think is going to be very rewarding.
The flamed maple top - I love the way it's mirrored down the centre line. I dislike tops like that where the 'weave' is off-set. It is a fabulous looking thing. Last night involved a fair amount of work, so haven't had a chance to plug it in yet.

Glad my NGD has kicked off such an interesting discussion.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Further follow-up. It's being a real joy to slowly break in. But the edges of the top seem very unfinished... rough round the edges. I will remember to ask them....
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 AM

TBH - i've read mixed reviews about the guitars... from poor finishing, fretwork needed on his top line range etc.
Hopefully, things like this will be worked out - and some QA testing put into place. Those who got them, with a little work end up loving them.

Don - your guitar does look very nice though
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

So I asked them, and they said talk to the shop where I got it from. I did, they (Andertons) agreed it was unusual.
BUT.
They have stopped making them, and were unsure how to go further. So I asked Chapman on social media, they got back to me really quickly, and we have started a conversation...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1Gibson View Post
So I asked them, and they said talk to the shop where I got it from. I did, they (Andertons) agreed it was unusual.
BUT.
They have stopped making them, and were unsure how to go further. So I asked Chapman on social media, they got back to me really quickly, and we have started a conversation...
Yeah they have something like 27 new guitars coming out next month (from memory) - their old stock, like what you have, are pretty much sort after now as they are high spec for cheap price; now they have lower end and premium end..
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:

As far as I know, it's basically some random internet blogger dude fronting one of the Korean factories that everyone used to be wary about just a few years ago, bankrolled by the owner of one of the big UK guitar shops...
Same impression I have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz View Post
i've read mixed reviews about the guitars... from poor finishing, fretwork needed on his top line range etc.
Same.

Anyway if you like the guitar, that's what matters. It looks great BTW.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:43 PM
dex

At least they have a decent website and you can tell who owns and runs the business and what they stand for unlike the other similar "British" brand - Indie Guitars.
I miss Maverick guitars, they had crazy knobs.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

.... and they have now got totally silent on me. Really unimpressed. Shame, it's starting to detract from the pleasure I have with the thing.

Tags
chapman , chapman guitars , ml11n

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode