Opinions on TOM vs Floyd rose - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on TOM vs Floyd rose

Hi guys im an avid Floyd rose user. I have been blocking my floyds for a few years and im considering changing to a fixed bridge. I can't stand the hard tails with the individual string height adjustment, the screws dig into my palm and i have OCD so i would just be forever adjusting the strings.

I like the fact that a TOM can be adjusted at both ends like a floyd while maintaining its radius. What are your opinions on the feel and comfort of a TOM from a Floyd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Re: Opinions on TOM vs Floyd rose

I'm like you, I block my trems and have ever since I started playing gigs. I just don't want to mess them anymore. I primarily play gibson explorers and a hard tail tele I built. I love TOMs and think they are really comfy. I chug and rest my palm over the bridge pickup and I like that vs a floyd I don't have to worry about going flat a tad when I'm doing any rhythm work or holding my guitar at a different angle or whatever. I see what you say about the screws on a hardtail digging into your hand, I have that problem with one of my teles and I have been thinking of just cutting the screws down with a dremel to fix it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the comment back mate. I have OCD and i have found over the years iv become a bit obsessed with setting my guitar up, and a floyd rose has not helped that one bit. The amount of times i have to take the back cover off to "check" the springs are still in where they should be and rechecking intonation etc. I think a TOM would be a healthier option perhaps x
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM

All of my guitars have double locking tremolos except for two Les Pauls. Most are Floyds and I have dealt with them since 1985. Never had many problems until recently. String gauge changes, adding big blocks, setting intonation and dealing with temperature changes at gigs have been a big issue lately. Even the angle of the trem bar seems to impact tuning lately.
I decided to bring one of my Les Pauls to a gig for our other guitar player to use. I changed the strings, stretched them and set the intonation in like ten minutes. This would have taken me over an hour on a Floyd.

Love Floyds and thrash them within inches of their lives and they always hold up but the simplicity of a TOM has me looking for a Jackson SLATQH.

Tags
bridge , comfort , floyd rose , tune o matic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode