Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Played a Carvin today. . . . .

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  linuxpenguin 
#1 ·
. . . . . . .and MY GOD it was comfy!!! the neck was ALMOST as nice as my super wizard. and the ebony board wasnt ugly at all (like they are on the carvin website. anyone ever notice that?). they have it for $550 used at guitar center of all places. although, today was the best day ive ever had in guitar center. heres all the good stuff they had (which they NEVER have. EVER.)

Carvin DC400
Ibanez ARZ307
EBMM JP7 BFR
Rivera Knuckle Head Tre
Mesa Boogie TriRec
Mesa Boogie Single Rec 2x12 combo
and some odd looking SZ. it was 100% mahogany, neck thru, signature series of some kind

the Rivera was AWESOME with the Carvin. and the pickups on the ARZ307 are W.E.A.K!!

whelp, thats all. i know you could care less but i was so excited that i had to share.

#3 ·
sorry, it was a JPX7 BFR. it was the Barolo finish.

ive gotta tell you though, i wasnt all too impressed. it didnt really cound any better than my friends rg7321 with the CL/LF pickups. and my rg1527 neck is much nicer.

it was at a guitar center in joliet IL.

#4 ·
sorry, it was a JPX7 BFR. it was the Barolo finish.

it was at a guitar center in joliet IL.
Ah, cool. Yeah, they're a different feel that Ibanez. I like both personally. I have a JPXI but am thinking about picking up a 7 soon. Either a JP or and older Universe if I can find the right deal.

Anyway, there is a pic of that DC400 on used.guitarcenter.com, looks nice!

#5 ·
.and the ebony board wasnt ugly at all (like they are on the carvin website. anyone ever notice that?)
Carvin doesn't color (stain/dye) their ebony fretboards. They leave them natural, and ebony can, and often does, have blonde streaks in it. Most other manufacturers dye their ebony a uniform black. It is purely a cosmetic issue. I had two with a perfectly black boards on them years ago. I have seen others with some streaks in them. Felt and played the same regardless. If the cosmetic side of it turns you off, that is cool. Your money, so you decide on how it is spent. Just clarifying that the appearance of their ebony is not a reflection of the quality.

#6 ·
oh i never thought it was. ebony is ebony whether its full black or not. however, i DID underestimate their quality (because their prices are almost too good to be true) until today. i was blown away. and the flamed top was beautiful in the saphire blue color

#8 ·
Their pickups and pots are their weak points. However, they are good regardless of price. If they did the normal guitar store model of business, then their guitars would be twice as much to cover whatever costs the stores need to have. It is often a basic principle of sales: price something at a premium and you create the illusion that it is more valuable than it actually is.

That is the first thing the current CEO of Gibson did when he took over. He raised prices to create a change in the perception of the value of Gibson guitars. People always believe that Carvins lack something because of their price. People believe PRS is really good because of their price. Neither is right or wrong. Your hands and ears tell you what is what. Everything else has more to do with impressing people than playing music. So, I basically just stick with what makes me happy regardless of price. Some things will be expensive and some will be cheaper than usual. I just go with what speaks to me. Really cuts down on GAS.

#9 ·
Played two carvins today. Finish and build quality top notch like every other carvin... still not" moved" by them. I always wrote prs as over priced garbage until I played a" real one" and that was an earth moving experience for me. Gibsons les pauls have always been crap in my extremely subjective opinion.... sgs and eexplorers on ther hand....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.