Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Post your Cheapie But Goodie

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jbouxa 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys i would like to see those guitars that prove price sometimes does not matter... there are some cracking chepos out there so if you have one lets see it... here's mine.. made by Shine.. cost me £100 UK new.. i would have payed that just for the neck on this thing as it's one of the best players i have ever had.. when i took it to get set up my guitar tech told me that it had two frets that were a little high... the job was that minor to correct it he didnt even charge me ... the main downside is the trem is crap... who cares lol i blocked it off and still have a awesome playing guitar for a weekend's beer money,

See less See more
#2 ·
My true "cheapie" (not merely a good deal) that I am absolutely IN LOVE with is my peavey special limited. It cost me 25$ off craigslist, but its an absolute screamer. The parts are high quality, the neck is amazing, it plays great, and quite frankly, one of the best playing guitars Ive played. Ironically, it looks almost identical to the one you posted!

I dont have agood picture of it, its at my bands practice spot all the time, but here is a stock image of it.

they even offer it in the same finish as yours haha

#4 ·
MY Pavey Tracer w/kayler spyder trem. This was pic was taken a while back.It now has a IBZF1 & 2 IBZC1 pickups it. Got it off ebay w/case to the door for $150.
These are really great guitars. Very nice necks.Best part is a really nice one can be had between $200-$300.I REALLY want is an old a Peavey Detonator. Great guitar as well...

P.S. Notice the rare Kayler locking nut. No tools needed...

#5 ·
Partscaster. old body free from a friends basement. nice Mighty Mite lic. Fender neck and Mighty Mite staggerd pole pickups ( I have a rail in the bridge now). It fits my hands like a glove. spend 170 on it total.

Arbor Star. from 1983. Its a set neck with bound body and neck. metal nut. plays great and I stuck a old Dimarzio Super Distortion in it. got it for $175

#13 · (Edited)
My '89 Squier HM3 Splatter neckthru, that I bought for $100 from my friend whom I played with in Jazz band in high school, used it in school practice, he used his S540LTDJB for the concerts...ugh...all stock except the addition of the strat knobs, I thought the white lettering and numbers really tied everything together, and pop out. I replaced the trem but, that was almost ten years ago. I had an Evolution in the bridge at one point but, then I decided to put the stock pickup back in. I like the different tone that the stock pickups bring and the neck pickup has such a smooth/creamy sound, very Kramer sounding. I refinished all the screws in black since these photos were taken, very sleek...

#14 ·
Funny you should put the stock pickup back as i did the same.. im only a home player and most pickups seem a little harsh for in the house... stage use maybe.. but home use i just cant get along with more powerfull stuff... the stock cheapo pickups have a nice mellow sound... shame i dont know who makes em or i would buy some more for other guitars i have.... this topic definitley shows that you dont need to spend the earth for a decent good playing and sounding axe... so any novice players and begginers out there should take notice.

#16 ·
Funny you should put the stock pickup back as i did the same.. im only a home player and most pickups seem a little harsh for in the house... stage use maybe.. but home use i just cant get along with more powerful stuff... the stock cheapo pickups have a nice mellow sound... shame i dont know who makes em or i would buy some more for other guitars i have.... this topic definitley shows that you dont need to spend the earth for a decent good playing and sounding axe... so any novice players and begginers out there should take notice.
I partly agree with you on that...I have DiMarzio Evolutions in both my RG's and they are Basswood but, the sound is amazing, l love them. I also stick by the credo that " if ain't broken, don't fix it" pretty much! I came to realize the stock pickups for said "Squier" were unique and tasteful enough, as I matured/progressed in my music/skill/composi/tone.
Although, I haven't played it in a couple of years because, it needs to refurbished terribly. It needs work from the electronics to the trem but, I've been focusing everything on maintaining my live gear because, I play out constantly. I play out with a half stack and also practice with said half stack so, volume is not a concern but, tone is...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.