Questions about Warmoth custom - Jemsite
Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Questions about Warmoth custom

So for the last 3 or so months, I've been playing on a Mexi-Strat I got for $50 off of craigslist. In that time it came upon me that I love strat bodies more than anything else. So I figured until I get enough money to buy a custom shop strat or just a higher end strat this guitar would be fine and last me for a long while. However... My grandfather asked me the other day if I wanted to build a guitar with him. I of course said yes and planned to make a strat body. Our original idea wasn't as good as we thought so we moved to trying to buy the wood ourselves and it ended up being quite expensive and a lot work considering what I wanted.

So I looked on warmoth to see what I how much it would be to have the body and neck built and finished for me. It came out to about $1100. Which was a Strat body with a Flame maple top with some sort of burst finish. $707 for the Body and $400-ish for the neck. We were gonna put all of the hardware on ourselves and put everything together.

I wanted to know if $1100 was a good price for a warmoth guitar or if I should just buy an American made strat. I'm also aware that buying the hardware and pickups will probably be $300 or so extra.

EDIT: For people just seeing the thread, my original idea was to buy everything from warmoth and it has changed. We have bought the wood and it drawn the body onto it. I'm going with Carving the body out myself and buying the neck from warmoth. I'll add more as it happens.

Last edited by OMFG Zero FTW; 02-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Re: Questions about Warmoth custom

warmoth makes great stuff and i would much rather buy a warmoth strat then any other strat.

the quality i think is better and you can customize to your liking. If that is what you want go for it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Warmoth products are quality, for sure.

You really ought to take a look at a Carvin kit, though. The basic kit for a bolt-on neck guitar has everything you need for $400, not $1400. Save a thousand dollars and build a nice guitar with your grandpa.

Peace

Mike
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Warmoth products are quality, for sure.

You really ought to take a look at a Carvin kit, though. The basic kit for a bolt-on neck guitar has everything you need for $400, not $1400. Save a thousand dollars and build a nice guitar with your grandpa.

Peace

Mike
I can't do a burst finish at home though. Which is why I'm considering going warmoth instead.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 PM

considering that you can buy a used usa strat for 500. warmoth stuff is great though. i build a nice strat once which at the end was more expensive than a new usa strat.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 AM

get an Ibanez 2375
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 AM

Warmoth parts are good. Building a custom, even a strat, is usually more expensive in the end, but you get a guitar with your specs. If this is your first build, it might be wise to skip the looks and rather go for something plain and simple and try to make it look good. It's cheaper and you can at a later stage strip it and repaint it if that is something you really want to do - either for the looks or the experience of finishing a guitar.

Bottom line. Warmoth is good. Easy does it. It will be more expensive than you think.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 AM

I have a Warmoth Strat that I put together last year. It is a SRV clone and and is fantastic. It cost me about $1100 altogether. A new American Standard Strat is about the same price. That being said you cannot get a custom strat or artist signature strat brand new for $1100 so if that's what you want then Warmoth is the way to go. If your happy with what you can get off the shelf then Fender is the way to go. Both are great guitars in my opinion its just that Warmoth gives you the option to customize everything including adding stainless steel frets which in my opinion improve the playability of the neck immensely.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM

You just have to decide what is most important to you-- the burst finish, the opportunity to customize, the bonding experience with your grandfather, or money.

For me the most important things would be the experience of building something with my grandpa and money (I don't have much). So for me personally, I'd build the Carvin kit and apply a burst finish myself. (It can indeed be done by amateurs, check reranch and projectguitar.)

But your priorities are your own. You're leaning towards a Warmoth build, and like we've said, not a bad way to go!

Peace

Mike
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 10

I built a warmoth Strat and I'm very happy it! Plus it's fun to pick out all the stuff that you want to your specs and then you wind up with exactly what you want. Warmoth stuff is not cheap but it is high quality. Here is my build - alder body, goncalo alves neck (unfinished and smooth) with pau ferro fingerboard

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM

Warmoth is nice for sure, but, for the money you're talking, I'd look for a nice used USA/American Strat. You can find nice ones in the $799 and up range at various used retailers, on feeBay and craigslist and if you want to trick it out...Duncans/Fralins, Callaham Bridge, etc...you'll have a very, very nice USA/American Strat.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

So what I'm getting from this is that warmoth is expensive and an American Strat is cheaper.

My question then becomes, is it really worth the money? If you had the money to buy a warmoth strat to your specs would you buy an American Strat or a Warmoth strat? Also, I don't plan on making another custom or buying another guitar for a very long time. So I want to make a guitar that I can use for a long time. But that is also good looking.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG Zero FTW View Post
If you had the money to buy a warmoth strat to your specs would you buy an American Strat or a Warmoth strat?
Warmoth, without hesitation.

Ask the same question on a Fender forum, and I'm sure they will tell you Fender is better.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 10

It depends - if you find a USA Strat that has what you want on it then you should probably go with that if you can save some time and money doing so...but if you have your heart set on some particulars then you should go with a Warmoth build.

I had some very specific ideas for the Stat that I wanted and Fender had nothing even close so I went the Warmoth route and I am very happy with what I have - a one of a kind Strat that has exactley everything I wanted

only you can decide which route will be better for you...I hope you get to post a NGD soon
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I talked to him about it and stressing the fact that I want a flame maple top at least. He said that we'd try to drive out to a hardwood store, and buy a Flame maple block and carve it out to a strat ourselves. As far as the burst goes, this guitar will be made over the course of about a year. So we'll buy the paint and figure out how to to a burst finish.

For the Neck, I'm thinking warmoth. He's saying it might get really complicated and we might not be able to do it. I agree with him. So I'll just order a sexy 3A Flame maple Neck off of warmoth and put it on eventually.

Also, what does NGD stand for? I see it on here all the time and I always wonder...

Tags
comparison , custom , price , strat , warmoth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode