Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Two hands31 
#1 ·
I have a couple of questions about my Squire Strat:

1)  I was told a while back that, because my guitar is a shorter scale length then a JEM, I am playing with less string tension (looser strings).  This is not the case.  I find my strings very tight and hard to bend, but when I picked up an RG-320, it felt smooth, easy, and just plain comfortable.  What could be causing the tension on my guitar and how can I fix this?

2)  The intonation on my 1st and 2nd strings are WAY off.  They went slightly off a long time ago, and I tried to fix them myself...long story short, I can't get them right.  How can I fix this, cuz it's really pissing me off!  The 12-fret note of my 1st string is not 1 octave higher than my open 1st string.  It never is.  My 2nd string has less of a problem, cuz I didn't try fixing it.  It's only a little off.  This get's really annoying for lead work.  Please :help:!

(Edited by Two hands31 at 12:57 pm on May 25, 2001)

#2 ·
String Tension

If your Squier Strat is just like a strat, then it is probably 25.5" scale length which is the same a Jem. Your string tension should be slightly less than a Jem if your guitar doesn't have a locking nut.

I would suspect your perceived tension problem is more are result of your guitar's setup, strings, or frets. Of course you should try light strings (9's are what Ibanez's are usually shipped with) and setup your guitar with low action. Also, polished frets can make a world of difference when it comes to string bending.

Setting actiona and adjusting intonation isn't the black art that everyone makes it out to be. You just need a good tuner, a screwdriver or hex wrench, and some basic knowledge.

The knowledge you can get here:

http://jemsite.com/tech/t_1setup.htm

Tools not included.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.