<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Reviews: 1

The Dueling Dragons Guitar

In 1977, I started playing guitar. I had always been fascinated listening to music as far back as I could remember. The same year, I started getting into pen & inks, doing cool fantasy drawings of castles dragons and other medieval art. The following year, I joined my first band... so many jobs through the years, dj, stand-up comic, guitar teacher(Which is my main income still to this day). I have always been an adventurer of sorts, travelling the world, etc. The guitar has been with me somehow, some way ever since I was a little pup.

2 years ago, I purchased an AXE-FX Ultra unit, and shortly thereafter, I had Carvin guitars build me a custom guitar. The guitar was gorgeous,a DC727 Spalted maple top, but sported a piece of crap trussrod cover. That trussrod cover was a major turning point in my life... I ended up wanting to make my own. I had only worked with wood a couple times before, but remembered how much peace it put me at. I started to learn how to do inlay, because I wanted to inlay some Mother-Of-Pearl and a couple weeks later I had a cool piece of Koa wood and did my first inlay. At the time, a student's father talked me into building a guitar. He was a master cabinet builder and was watching some of the things I was making and I guess he saw a hidden talent in me and started bringing me woodworking equipment every Thursday when his son took lessons.

I am not a "simple" person.... I love detail, whether it be in art or music, I have a hard time doing simple things. So I commenced in making one of the most insane first-time guitar builds in history (That I am aware of). This guitar was to be named "The Dueling Dragons" and has thousands of hours of work in it to make it "The Ultimate Ax". I have owned so many guitars in my life, I lost count... I KNEW what I liked and disliked about guitars, so I spent allot of time in researching every step of the way to make this guitar as perfect as possible, with an insane inlay to boot. There were 251 pieces of shell & recon stone inlaid into the fretboard alone. It has exotic shells and woods from all over the world, sterling silver, 14 karat gold, prehistoric shark's teeth (5 to 22 million years old) and I even inlaid puppy's teeth from our 2 dogs(Their eye teeth fall out when they are puppies)

At the end of the day, this guitar ended up playing (And feeling) better than any other guitar I had ever played before and the select few seasoned guitarists who have played it all agreed. There are skeptics who would want to argue this important fact, but as soon as it goes into one's lap, the magic begins.

I ended up making a 3 part documentary film on the guitar that took nearly a year to build, which is in the Video Section of my web site
http://virgilguitar.com/video.html

You will also find my second guitar called the "Silver Willow" in there. I am currently building 2 more guitars concurrently and have plans for 2 other production models. A major guitar magazine's publisher contacted me 2 weeks ago and wants to do an article on my builds which is exciting.

The journey has been amazing for me - I wish I had started when I was younger - I now have Rheumatoid Arthritis, which has ended my "band days" but I am still able to teach guitar and build guitars. I plan to keep building till my hands fall off - I love every part of building and thank you all for reading... Please visit http://www.virgilguitar.com for more details about the Dueling Dragons & other guitars...here are a couple more pics:

Last edited by VirgilGuitar; 04-26-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Re: The Dueling Dragons Guitar

nice guitar , nice story, best of luck
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
nice guitar , nice story, best of luck
Thanks - I'm enjoying the journey!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM

This is unbelievable! What an amazing piece of work- more appealing to me than any electric guitar I've ever seen.

Enjoy and thanks for sharing the pics and the story.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM

wow that is an amazing guitar! you sir are an incredible guitar builder
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Hehehe - thanks Ghosty - so many designs running around in my head, but so little time to make them all if ya know what I mean. Appreciate ya checking it out!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM

That is an awesome looking guitar!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM

One of the best looking graphic guitar I've ever seen!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Thank you wafflepick! Just a few hours in the build! - (hehehe) I wish I could let more people play it, but I keep it in a case these days - want to keep it in "Mint" condition - it REALLY plays BETTER than it looks - most people don't believe it, which is understandable, being my first build... but the seasoned players that did take it for a ride are still talking about it!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWafflePick View Post
One of the best looking graphic guitar I've ever seen!
BTW, (just in case) it's not a graphic "per say, ie a "Decal" - this is all inlay work
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 PM

My mistake. It's super sweet, man.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM

Yesterday, I believe I broke a record in guitar builder history for the highest-paid amount of money from a first-time sale of a guitar. What I mean by this is, there have been hundreds (probably thousands) of people who have built guitars through the years, but what do you think is the largest amount of money they made selling their first guitar? I actually sold my SECOND guitar, because my first guitar "The Dueling Dragons" is not for sale, so I put the "Silver Willow" (2nd build) on the market 2 months and 9 days ago and someone purchased it yesterday... If anyone knows the answer to this - please post!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM

since it is all over your website its not that hard to find out

Tags
custom built, dueling dragons, inlay, virgil guitars, virgil mandanici

Show/Hide Posting Rules