<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 AM

Talking

There's something about M-II

I've always been a fan of the ESP take on the superstrat - the shape, the construction, the no-frills configuration. Maybe it is my inner 'tallica fanboy who made me buy the M-II NTB a few years back, who knows, but I just need to have one around no matter what.

I never did bond with the Standard M-II as well as I had hoped. The fundamental tone of the guitar itself (ie. not the pickups) was somehow hollow or honky - almost like it was chambered. The weight was a bit on the light side and the light brown rosewood board provided a nasty contrast to the otherwise sleek black appearance. So I traded it to an ESP Eclipse I CTM. Now that was more like it - a solid block of lespaulian goodness. I played it happily for a bit over a year until I stumbled upon an ad of a CS M-II up for trade locally. Happily my Eclipse was good for trade (so good in fact, that the current owner was mightily impressed by the tone Duncan Distortion & Jazz combo I had installed put out - and he is accustomed to PRS Artist's and Navigators).

So I'm back to M-II, and this time it's for real. No more honkiness or displeasing aesthetics - the maple-neck-through-mahogany-body-with-flamed-maple-cap and an ultra smooth ebony fretboard give this thing both the best acoustic tone I've ever heard out of an electric, and the eye-candy to match. Pictured here with EMG's, but they'll soon be swapped out to Duncan Custom & '59. (My first NGD post ever!)

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 AM

Re: There's something about M-II

That is one sweet M-II CTM!!
I keep my eyes on a black M-II CTM also, but standard series.
According to what I read from some source, the standard series ( SS serial number) is nowhere that good as the custom shop one.
Of course the price is like 3x Standard series = 1 custom shop.

what is the serial number of your M-II CTM?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 AM

It's 24078703 so it's a custom shop model. There is a similar guitar in the US that's almost exactly like this one, except for it having no pickup rings and being blue. Similar details include the serial and funky blocks in place of side dots. Interesting

Here's an old link to Bmusic forum http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/fo...php?f=2&t=7984
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 AM

cool, so I guess I'd better watching for old used custom shop M-II ctm rather than buying new standard series.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 AM

I would have gladly picked up the SS M-II CTM if one had showed up on the local market, but they never do. I did try one at a store and it was great. Arguably the CS version is better, but not nearly enough to warrant the price one has to cough up these days. Here a new Standard M-II CTM costs about maybe 1900e new whereas a CS M-II goes for 5500e :/
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Reviews: 7

I love the Neck Thru model that just has the one EMG and string thru the body. Reverse headstock, etc,. I think it would be a very cool guitar, but it has an Alder body, and nothing against alder, as I have a strat that sings with one, but I wish it had the Mahogany body and maple neck and maple top on the body as your's does. That's the best wood combo on guitars in my humble opinion as a safe bet at least.. That is a killer guitar.. Have fun with it..
Tim
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the compliments

It really is great, and as I received a Duncan '59 neck pickup earlier today to accompany Duncan Custom for the bridge position, it only gets better from here. If I don't get around to post a review in a few days - no need to worry, I just haven't been able to put the guitar down
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosunen View Post
It's 24078703 so it's a custom shop model. There is a similar guitar in the US that's almost exactly like this one, except for it having no pickup rings and being blue. Similar details include the serial and funky blocks in place of side dots. Interesting

Here's an old link to Bmusic forum http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/fo...php?f=2&t=7984
I'm on here too.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM

Ah, great to see you here as well As much as I like my purple one I find that blue even more appealing - truly a beautiful guitar. And those direct-mount pickups add to the aesthetics.

I swapped the EMGs out and put in some beefy Duncans - the Custom and the '59. Even with the EMGs the tone of this guitar was something phenomenal, but now it really sings. Very punchy and articulate - kinda like my ex-Eclipse, but brighter.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 AM

does anyone know what ESP offers in NAMM 2013, especially for the 'M-ii series' ?
Pics would be great!!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 AM

Ah I had a long response here but the forum soft wiped it out somewhere. Oh well. There's one pic of the LTD Elite sunburst M-II on the ESP Facebook site. It looks nice, much nicer actually than either of the remaining Standard ESP M-II's (RW NTB and a maple bolt-on).

Regardless I won't be looking at ESP when I get the urge to buy another high-end superstrat. Jackson has launched a Select Custom philosophy (a bit like Carvin) and that's where my money will flow henceforth - I just don't feel like shelling out €5000+ no matter how nice my M-II is (my 2008 SL2H is quite on par with it). If ESP brings about the Original Series, then it's another matter. I just don't see it happening, since indulging the domestic dealership is behind this new turn of matters to begin with. At least Ibanez has released some J Customs to the global markets, kudos to them.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Reviews: 7

Do you have a link to the Jackson guitars that you speak of ? I'm curius which one's you're talking about. I did notice their prices are rocking lately, but I assumed it was because they're made in Indian or East Indonesia or something? Don't know though..
Regards
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosunen View Post
Ah I had a long response here but the forum soft wiped it out somewhere. Oh well. There's one pic of the LTD Elite sunburst M-II on the ESP Facebook site. It looks nice, much nicer actually than either of the remaining Standard ESP M-II's (RW NTB and a maple bolt-on).

Regardless I won't be looking at ESP when I get the urge to buy another high-end superstrat. Jackson has launched a Select Custom philosophy (a bit like Carvin) and that's where my money will flow henceforth - I just don't feel like shelling out 5000+ no matter how nice my M-II is (my 2008 SL2H is quite on par with it). If ESP brings about the Original Series, then it's another matter. I just don't see it happening, since indulging the domestic dealership is behind this new turn of matters to begin with. At least Ibanez has released some J Customs to the global markets, kudos to them.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM

so I changed my mind and get my self a brand new SS ESP M-II CTM..

here's my black aces squad :
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

M2 are awesome guitars, I had mine since 2002 without a single problem.
Everytime I change strings I check its setup and since 2002 when I did the first setup, it NEVER needed another setup.
So far no rust and no spots without paint.
My prestige from 2009 never left the house but has some rusty screws and some back spots without paint, you can see its wood.
M2 is a guitar to keep close cause it'll never fail on you.
Mine is transparent purple and has a beautiful ash top.
In 2002 a guy on brazilian ebay was about to get married and needed money, I was selling an old marshall JMP1 pre, he offered his brand new M2 to exchange cause it'd be easier to sell my JMP1 than find somebody who wanted that M2 model.
So I exchanged a crap old pre for an awesome guitar and he got married to a fugly chubby japanese girl

Sorry for the crap quality but it was taken around 1994, that's the one with a pink evolution, it has a angled neck hum(hum with the size of a single) which to me gives it a "progressive" looking

Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
M2 are awesome guitars, I had mine since 2002 without a single problem.
Everytime I change strings I check its setup and since 2002 when I did the first setup, it NEVER needed another setup.
So far no rust and no spots without paint.
My prestige from 2009 never left the house but has some rusty screws and some back spots without paint, you can see its wood.
M2 is a guitar to keep close cause it'll never fail on you.
Mine is transparent purple and has a beautiful ash top.
In 2002 a guy on brazilian ebay was about to get married and needed money, I was selling an old marshall JMP1 pre, he offered his brand new M2 to exchange cause it'd be easier to sell my JMP1 than find somebody who wanted that M2 model.
So I exchanged a crap old pre for an awesome guitar and he got married to a fugly chubby japanese girl

Sorry for the crap quality but it was taken around 1994, that's the one with a pink evolution, it has a angled neck hum(hum with the size of a single) which to me gives it a "progressive" looking

oh im telling lol.
fugly chubby japanese girl
racist alert racist alert.
hahahahahahahahah im thelling the euphor on you.

Tags
esp, m-ii

Show/Hide Posting Rules