<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM

What guitars retain best "used" value?

When I think of what I buy a guitar for and what it goes for used, the one that comes to mind the most would be either the American Standard Stratocaster or Standard Stratocaster. You can immediately get over half of what you paid for it while other guitars get far less than half.

But I can't think of anything else that retains a used value that is a good percentage of street value new. A Gibson Les Paul is worth so little used in comparison to what it costs new at GC, and same with Jem, PRS, or USA Dean. Forget about boutique stuff like Vigier, Parker Fly, or Alembic as they seem like they will never break even as there's no market in used samples.

For Ibanez I would think a street priced RG $400-$600 would retain hopefully more than half its value, and like the strats, eventually match value when vintage and go up from there as there is a well defined used/vintage subset of buyers. Is that a good guess? Also while some guitars like a used Paul Stanley Iceman or Reb Beach model from eBay can retain much or all of its value, I would think it would be relatively hard to find a buyer. I know you can move RGs, strats, and affordably priced Les Pauls.

But other than the obvious of strats and RGs (and the impossibly rare and expensive pre-CBS Fenders and 50's Gibsons), what guitar used over long period of time retains a good value?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 4

Re: What guitars retain best "used" value?

I know it can be easy to find a RG570 as low as 200$. As far as what holds it's value I have no idea. I hope somebody can chime in.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Well, if we are talking percentages, the ones that will retain value the best are cheap guitars, and collectors style (20th anniversary, special finish etc.) Cheap guitars usually will only lose 30-50% of their value, but thats not useful if you want a real quality instrument. Anniversary and limited edition models will be more expensive, but retain value a little better than most.
Brand is important. If you want good resale value, it should be a name that is well known. A custom luthier-made guitar might have some of the worst resale value, because the second buyer has no knowledge of the builder, or the custom specs. But thats not why you go custom. A Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, PRS, etc are better choices there.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
Well, if we are talking percentages, the ones that will retain value the best are cheap guitars, and collectors style (20th anniversary, special finish etc.) Cheap guitars usually will only lose 30-50% of their value, but thats not useful if you want a real quality instrument. Anniversary and limited edition models will be more expensive, but retain value a little better than most.
Brand is important. If you want good resale value, it should be a name that is well known. A custom luthier-made guitar might have some of the worst resale value, because the second buyer has no knowledge of the builder, or the custom specs. But thats not why you go custom. A Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, PRS, etc are better choices there.
I know Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez are long established with good resale and fans of both new and used. But PRS seems to have too small a crowd and the players I know always want to buy a new one. I have thought of a second guitar and getting some sort of PRS or PRS/SE but without the familiar Ibanez, Fender, or Gibson on headstock, I fear I would get stuck with it if I decided it was not for me. I can live with virtually any Ibanez, Fender, or Gibson and those are known entity to almost any electric player. That being said I think for the right buyer a PRS/SE Custom 24 should get at least half its value if not for me. I would think that if I went big with USA Custom 24 then I may get stuck with that for life. I had a friend who went with one, didn't like it and thought it was a leon, and then bought another one thinking it would somehow be better. They just were not for him.

Another pair of guitars on the high range that have excited me are the Heritage (H535) and Vigier (Excalibur). Both are really amazing but I can't see anybody willing to buy them if I decide I don't want one or I need the money for something more practical. If I was a professional musician and I wanted the best of the best, I would go with (other than the common names that are safe bets) Vigier, Heritage, and most definitely a top of the line carbon graphite Parker Fly. The price of the superstrat Vigier to me, $2500-$3500, does not seem justified in that it's not better than a similarly equipped Prestige RG and the Ibanez would be easier to resell while the Vigier (like it or not) would have to stay with me for life.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Reviews: 15

I don't know why, but my Ibanez SZ720 is close to retaining it's full value at the moment. In fact I could make a few bucks considering I bought it on sale. A lot of the used SZ series guitars seem to be going for close to MSRP these days. I still believe it's one of their best kept MIK secrets.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
I don't know why, but my Ibanez SZ720 is close to retaining it's full value at the moment. In fact I could make a few bucks considering I bought it on sale. A lot of the used SZ series guitars seem to be going for close to MSRP these days. I still believe it's one of their best kept MIK secrets.
I knew S Series was almost as hot as RGs and that the retainment of value is quite high. The really low end stuff retains no value and stuff priced too high also takes a huge percentage dump in value. I think $250-$1500 dollars from low midrange to high midrange, the stuff most players hover around in, is where guitars retain their best value and can even eventually exceed price bought at.

I almost got a MIJ SZ a few years ago and it was less than $400 street price new and today it's easily worth that being both Ibanez and MIJ. The few MIA Ibanez guitars are also great at retaining value. I think if not already, most MIK Ibanezes will retain 100% percent of original street price value.

I think the point where MIJ, MIA, and MIK Ibanezes stop going up in price is when Indonesia and China fully catch up in quality thus making the older Ibanezes not all that special other than historical or vintage value.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM

If you know which luthiers are extremely popular you can easily get more than you paid.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
If you know which luthiers are extremely popular you can easily get more than you paid.
I think the internet is the great equalizer. The high end stuff like old Pensa Suhrs, Bernie Rico handmade pieces, original Valley Arts guitars, Andersons, Vigiers, Collings, and a few others have a small but extremely loyal following. But because the base is so small it can be a long time before unloading one at a good price compared to what one paid for it new or used.

It's kind of like the small but loyal followers of Jem guitars who are willing to pay top dollar for used examples where as the regular herd go for strats and Les Pauls from Musician's Friend and Guitar Center because other people use them. With Jemsite and a few others devoted to high end Ibanezes (and Jacksons, Deans, and other metal guitars), it may be very hard to match a player to a buyer. I would go here if I wanted to sell a Jem before eBay.

I know if I get a MIM strat or Epi Les Paul for $250 from the internet used, it's pretty easy to use it for as long as possible and then with no problem turn around and sell it for $250 no questions asked. I think the closest thing to a used guitar that retains 100% percent like that in the Ibanez world would be a nice RG for $250-$350 with nicely maintained trem.

To me a guitar is a tool and expendable but probably just as important to getting better for me besides practice, improvisation, and music theory is to play the same scale, fret size, neck thickness, and something to the point where my hands know where every note is. It's not as much if I go for a bolt-on neck with 25.5" inch scale or shorter neck with Gibson style appointments but more that I stick with one. A single guitar can be like a perfectly customized pair of Levi's to some players who gravitate to just one instrument or instrument type like Clapton with Blackie. The more I progress the less a high end model helps with its better frets, neck, etc. I want to get the the point, or in the direction, where I could sound good playing a nice guitar or a barn door with strings on it. I know a few players like that and Paul Gilbert is a great example mixing great stuff with cheap stuff and sounding amazing regardless.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-02-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 PM

my experience in sell and buy guitars told me fender is the most moveable stuff.
American standard strat or any american strat is easy to sell.
even Japanese one is still easy to sell.
now,regarding the value, If I bought it new and sell it as used, I won't get my 100% buying price back, but at least I can get 75% back.
if I'm buying from used, most likely i can flip it and make a little profit easily.

now, let's try it to ESP, Ibanez, PRS... all you got is a big cut lost.
I can only sell my ibanez for a little profit if I bought it used and it's a rare sought after items.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM
(a)

Reviews: 25

I think the real issue with Ibanez, is that a neon pink or yellow that has heaps of chips dents and fading, wont retain its value like a light blue Strat thats beat up.. People buy Ibanez for flash, even if its black, cause of its edgy looks and super clean lines..

I have this feeling that the Jem FP's will eventually be the winner in the used beat up series, as it has that old skool look to it, even when beat up...

But who knows what will hold its value in the next 20 years
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 AM
(a)

The secret is to buy (new) second hand if you know what I mean . New release limited editions always come up for resale pretty quickly.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM

Buy gold...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Surely, you would not buy a guitar on it's second hand sale value.
If you buy a used guitar, you could probably get your money back when you sell it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanggo View Post
Buy gold...
That is good advice, so long as unemployment remains above 6% percent. If economy gets better, which I doubt anytime soon, gold won't be worth squat. At least nothing out there with politics and economy will affect the value of "jems" like it will other precious assets.

Show/Hide Posting Rules