<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 7

What is this guitar? Scotti Hill / Skid Row

Hey folks.

I've been wondering for a long time what these guitars are that Scotti Hill of Skid row played back in the late 80's early 90's? They're Les Paul shaped, but smaller bodies with rounded corners, and they are bolt on from what I can tell, with Floyds. They have a hum in the bridge and what looks like a Duncan Rails or some type of Rails pickup in a single coil slot in the neck. They kinda look like a BC Rich, but it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what it is, because it's a smaller body, etc,. Anyway, you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymkTzOzqyNQ
on the first song and then again on the second, etc,. He uses one on the left side of the stage as you're looking at the band and he changes before the second song to another one that is either blue or black, with a sticker on the left lower side looking at the guitar.. Anybody? Driving me nuts..
Thanks in advance..
Tim
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Re: What is this guitar? Scotti Hill / Skid Row

Body shape and contour on the cutaway looks very similar to and old school bolt on ESP Eclipse to me, though I couldn't guarantee it. Never saw this vid, so thanks for the link. Classic stuff.

Edit: Just did a google search for "Scotti Hill ESP Eclipse" and the first result was an entry on a Kramer/Spector forum, looks like they're Stuart Spector Blackhawk customs by Kramer/Spector.

Last edited by DaylightDies; 01-16-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: New info
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Hey Daylight.. Thanks so much. Yeah, I thought about that, but I think it may be a BC Rich, but that's just a guess.. It's for sure a cool guitar.. I noticed on another video it looks like it has a big R on the headstock, but I can't tell on this video for sure. It would make sense that it may be an ESP as they were using them on the tour I'm almost sure and I noticed that he played a neck thru M series on the same tour and on videos on you tube.. Thanks man.. I really like that model of guitar.. I wish I had one that was a neck thru or set neck though.. It's a very cool looking guitar to me..
Thanks
Tim
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM

Yeah iirc they played Spectors
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Hey Daylight.. Thanks so much. Yeah, I thought about that, but I think it may be a BC Rich, but that's just a guess.. It's for sure a cool guitar.. I noticed on another video it looks like it has a big R on the headstock, but I can't tell on this video for sure. It would make sense that it may be an ESP as they were using them on the tour I'm almost sure and I noticed that he played a neck thru M series on the same tour and on videos on you tube.. Thanks man.. I really like that model of guitar.. I wish I had one that was a neck thru or set neck though.. It's a very cool looking guitar to me..
Thanks
Tim
I think what you're seeing as an "R" on the headstock is SSD for Stuart Spector Designs
Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Hi Act.
I saw that the bass player played a spector, but I'm not sure about this one. I've seen the other guitarist play loads of different guitars, but mostly a Jackson or Kramer. The Scotti Hill guitar I'm still not sure about. It may be a spector, but looks like the older ESP's eclipses to me as well? I'd like to see a pic of an old spector guitar like that..

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Yeah iirc they played Spectors
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Definitely a Spector, he played one in the I Remember You Video, here's a link that should put an end to your search/doubt

http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/sho...rs-Custom-Shop

Custom Made by a guy named Chris Hofschneider who is apparently now the guitar tech for Richie Sambora. Apparently they made less than 50, and they're ridiculously hard to come by, so now that you know what it is, good luck in your quest to find one Always fun to be on the hunt for the grail.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Dalight.. Thanks so much.. You're the man.. I really liked it.. I think I could probably put one togehter by buying warmoth stuff.. I doubt it would be that good though.. LOL..
Tim
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 3

edit: nevermind, thought you were referring to the Hamer Double Cutaway.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Hello all, first post here. Couldn't help but notice asking about the Kramer/Spectors, finding Blackhawks is not a easy chore, My double cutaway is not a blackhawk nor a Hamer, the LP junior is the other body type.....You won't find another as the Blue one was a one off. The LP was the only one with P90s... I'd post pics but after the 10 limit.

Last edited by louthedog; 05-08-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Very cool! Any idea what year the LP junior style was made?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM

Hi,
Last time Skid Row were in Montreal I got the chance to hang out with Snake and Scotty
Very early Snake was working in a music store and Ritchie was one of his buddies. He told me that He recorded the first BonJovi album before Sambora joined in.
That is why he got those LPs since the guy making them was Sambora's guitar tech for a long time.

Last edited by ShredderChick; 03-10-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: orthograph!!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
Very cool! Any idea what year the LP junior style was made?
Pretty sure 1987
Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderChick View Post
Hi,
Last time Skid Row were in Montreal I got the chance to hang out with Snake and Scotty
Very early Snake was working in a music store and Ritchie was one of his buddies. He told me that He recorded the first BonJovi album before Sambora joined in.
That is why he got those LPs since the guy making them was Sambora's guitar tech for a long time.
Yes his name is on the Truss rod cover, this was Lumpys personal build in fact he built both, the blue Travis Bean body style was built for Joe Perry, Joe had several built and this was the first, retired for the second as blue was so damn heavy being Maple bodied. The others are double cut but Blackhawk shaped.....

Tags
scotti hill

Show/Hide Posting Rules