<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
(a)

Re: What is with the Gibson Les Paul craze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman9 View Post
""It's undoubtable that the LP is an excellent guitar""

I think it was an excellent guitar in its day... and that day is undoubtably carried on by a fewgreat players that know that the LP is the guitar for them and millions of others who just want to be sound alikes.
As opposed to the thousands that buy Jems who would never want to be sound alikes. We all know everyone with a Jem or an RG puts Evos or Breeds in because they play Jazz, Classical, Shred, Blues, Rock, Country, R&B and a little Japanese Folk Music.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 PM

I have only played about 5 Les Pauls and only liked one. It was a 78 or a 79.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post

Hey isn't that you Cid???

Jeeze.......I swear you guys will be tasking each other until the end of time over this Les Palms issue

Personally (and I am entitled to my own opinion) I don't care for them. To me it's an overrated overpriced awkward heavy guitar with a plank of wood for a neck! I just don't like the way the LP's feel unatural to play!

But then I learned on a lowly cheap strat so what do I know???
No, I'm not a fan of the mini-buckers. LPs must very very unnatural to play, that's probably why they are copied by so many other companies. You shouldnt be so hard on your Jems man, I wouldnt call them lowly and at a price that rivals and passes some Les Pauls, they definately arent cheap, but they certainly arent Strats either.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
No, I'm not a fan of the mini-buckers. LPs must very very unnatural to play, that's probably why they are copied by so many other companies. You shouldnt be so hard on your Jems man, I wouldnt call them lowly and at a price that rivals and passes some Les Pauls, they definately arent cheap, but they certainly arent Strats either.
My apologies

And let me re-phrase "they feel unnatural to me"

I don't have a problem with them. That would be a waste of time

I just don't care for them and they arent for me. Oh....I already said that Diversity is the beautiful thing about being human instead of a robot and life would sure get boring if we all liked the same thing

(IMHO - again, lol) TONE is the strong point of the Les Paul!

But playability is number one in my book and they just don't do it for me
Old 02-21-2008, 11:25 PM

Any man who can't play a Les Paul or thinks it's uncomfortable is a wuss.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Calls me a wuss...and then runs and hides

Typical
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Les Pauls are......very inconsistent! Or should I say Gibson is. I played about 6 of them today in a store and each neck felt different and were set-up different. I want one, however, the only one I liked was set-up real nice, great damn action and playability ('60s neck). Unfortunately, the cheapest they could let it go for was $4500 ! It was a custom shop classic! I shouldn't have to spend that damn much money to have nice action on a LP! The rest felt like acoustics. PRSs are the way to go, they all are set-up great. However, I still want a LP. No they are nothing like a JEM, but something about a nice Lesssss Paul is nice and fun.

Last edited by rickcard71; 02-22-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
I haven't picked up a guitar mag in awhile, but I never noticed that with Gibson Les Pauls, but I did however notice the trend with Epiphone Les Pauls. I thought it was just a way to sell cheap guitars.

And I wouldn't say the people in the ads are nobodys either. Sad as it sounds, more people know who My Chemical Romance is over Satch and Vai. And those are the people those ads are geared for. So it makes sense to me. But I never said I liked it.
I'm with you there.... It's really sad. The music has gone to s**t. I mean, all the emo stuff has its place, just like every other kind of music, but people are so closed minded these days... I think that bleeds into their choices in instruments too.

Whoever made the comment about GC, I'm with them on that too... Those guys have no idea what they are talking about... they just talk BS to get a guitar sold...
Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
That's comes downright near to the same thing I said you unfathomable idiot!
Anyway, I'm not going to put wooden seats in my car and wait for my ass to adjust to it. A Les Paul must have been designed for monkeys because it sure as hell hasn't been designed to be played by me.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
Les Pauls are......very inconsistent! Or should I say Gibson is. I played about 6 of them today in a store and each neck felt different and were set-up different.

Of course they all feel different, the necks are hand sanded and finished. WHne a person does the work instead of a machine it is impossible to get everything the same. The 6 you played and didnt like could be perfect for 6 other people. As for the set-up, every guitar needs to be set up for the buyer, and should have atleast a basic set up once the guitar gets to the store.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter View Post
A Les Paul must have been designed for monkeys because it sure as hell hasn't been designed to be played by me.

Right and you are the only non-monkey on the whole planet. Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM

I dig the FAT tones of an LP but have yet to get comfortable playing one on stage ...yet.

I will keep trying but in the meantime, a NEW Explorer will find a home in my "arsenal" before an LP.

I would like to try owning a Standard with a 60's neck but most likely will try a Studio if I have to buy new. I would love to have a Custom but if I was to spend that kind of dough for a new one, there are other guitars I'd be looking at before an LP. Just my 1 1/2 cents.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 AM

I just got a Standard and its great. I own like 30 guitars of at least 15 different makes, and the LP is as good or better than most. What i most like about it is that it sounds like a LP. While all my Ibanezes are interchangable with ESP's or Jacksons or the others, the LP has its own unique voice.

And yes they did feel all different, but as Cid said, that made it possible to find one which fits me and not have to walk away because they are all alike and none is for me Quality is great and she is almost as light as the Jems.

I don't think at all she was overpriced, and that argument is really stupid as there is a LP for almost any pricelvel out there. Whole argument is stupid.

Whoever says the LP is a bad guitar and heavy and expensive really has no clue and should be ignored. There is no substance in those claims.

I gladly get myself one or 2 more.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM

One of my students has been recently bought a Gibson from Centre City musc in CA and they had THE best prices ($2300 ES-335 for $1800 ) and even had the guitar drop shipped straight from the factory. The only drawback is not getting to hold it BEFORE you buy it but I'm sure they (Centre City Music) would take care of you if you got a lemon or one you didn't immediately bond with.

I believe Matt's Music carries Gibsons too but I haven't priced thru them ...yet

The tone is why I keep wanting to own an LP as I've learned recently that it isn't the shape that makes me want one. When I played the last Standard I had my hands on, I was drooling over the thick tones it had even thru a sh!tty amp. The Explorers I've owned aren't too far away from that tone but it does vary from instrument to instrument even in the same models. I have owned 4 Explorers and two were amazing and two were just OK. I can't say that is a Gibson issue but it would lead me to think that from my experiences.

Tags
ace frehley, acoustic guitar, beautiful guitar, block inlays, body shape, custom guitar, custom guitars, custom shop, david mccarroll, death metal, double cutaway, doug aldrich, ebony fretboard, electric guitar, evolution pickups, fat tone, fender strat, fixed bridge, flame maple, floyd rose, fret access, fret guitar, fret guitars, gary moore, gibson les paul, gibson les paul craze, gibson les paul custom, gibson les paul studio, guitar mag, guitar shop, guitar tech, ibanez guitars, ibanez jem, jimmy page, john sykes, korean guitar, les paul, les paul custom, les paul deluxe, les paul standard, les paul studio, les paul style guitar, les pauls, local guitar shop, locking trems, mahogany body, maple neck, maple necks, marshall amp, matic bridge, michael kelly, music store, neal schon, neck joint, neck pickup, neck pickups, neck thru, palm muting, parker fly, patrick eggle, pickup ring, pickup rings, planet waves, playing guitar, pro edge, robert plant, sounding guitar, squire strat, steel strings, steve vai, strat sound, strat style, strat style guitar, super strat, toggle switch, tone zone, trem guitar, upper fret, upper fret access, upper frets, vintage strat, zakk wylde

Show/Hide Posting Rules