<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 AM

Re: What is with the Gibson Les Paul craze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Whoever says the LP is a bad guitar and heavy and expensive really has no clue and should be ignored. There is no substance in those claims.

I gladly get myself one or 2 more.

Well it does weigh a lot for a guitar. Now I love Les Pauls but you can substantially proove that it is heavy on average for a solid body guitar.

Like I said before though that and comfort when sitting are the only two drwbacks for me on a Les Paul.

I guess it's just that I have big shoulders and am built like a brick so it makes me hunch over too much when I play.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post

I guess it's just that I have big shoulders and am built like a brick so it makes me hunch over too much when I play.

= kotornut
Old 02-22-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
= kotornut
Just add big feet and a stupid haircut and yeah thats me.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Just add big feet and a stupid haircut and yeah thats me.
Like this?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Like this?

I'm a bit taller and no beard.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I'm a bit taller and no beard.

If I could photoshop the beard away and add an LP around the neck and possibly stretch the pic......
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:

If I could photoshop the beard away and add an LP around the neck and possibly stretch the pic......

Is it even worth it? Ah I think everyone gets the idea.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Does it make you look like a monkey?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM
(a)

Quote:
I dig the FAT tones of an LP but have yet to get comfortable playing one on stage ...yet.
I will keep trying
Lol....you shouldn't have to TRY to get comfortable playing a guitar bones as I'm sure you know

Quote:
Whoever says the LP is a bad guitar and heavy and expensive really has no clue and should be ignored. There is no substance in those claims.
Gee thanks drag! My opinion as well as the opinion of many others means nothing because it differs from yours? And there is plenty of substance in our claims!! A Jem will do everything that could be asked from a guitar!! Will an LP??? I suppose you are one of those trem hating fixed bridge guys???

LP's are heavy in comparison to most electric guitars not that weight bothers me at all. They are over priced for what you get (IMHO) as are all Gibsons and don't get all hissy, it's just IMHO!

I had a $ 200 Squire Strat. I got laughed at by all the rich kids with their mighty $ 1500 les pauls. It annoyed me a bit until I played a few of their mighty LP's! Damn....lame....like walking the plank!! I wouldn't have traded my lowly cheap strat for all of them combined!! The difference to me is in the neck comfort and playability! It was kinda funny when 1/2 of those guys ended up getting Strats The reason I called the strat Lowly in my earlier post is because that is what they called it (until they played it)

If it wasn't for the Jems, I'm pretty sure that the Strat (HM) would still be my main guitar!

It's funny when I hear people b*tch about the cost of Jems, yet the same thing could be said for ANY Gibson

It's just about personal preferences and is a useless argument!

Like....do you prefer Almond Joy or Mounds, paper or plastic, Red or Black, beef or pork, cats or dogs, Coke or Pepsi, Apples or Oranges, Sunny or Cloudy, Rock or Country, Vista or XP, boobs or buns?? I'd best stop there
Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Hey

No substance. New LP's are not much heavier than a Jem. Most certainly lighter than my PRS, or US Mockingbird or even my G&L Strat. The price start at or under a k which is Ibanez Prestige level. Playability is purely subjective.

Here are 2 things the jems are not very good at, which the LP does certainly alot better. Blues and downtuned ChuggaChugga for starters. Would not do that with my Jems. So they are surely not the be all end all. And most certainly not the best value for money either. If you want a great guitar whcih slays a Jem in ALL aspects get a Parker Fly.

And i like boobs and buns, have 3 jems currently and a ****load of other FR guitars, so no hate there either. And of course i value your opinion, but try to back it up with facts.

Lp's are heavy and overpriced is what the children say who can not afford one and mom and dad are not buying one. And than they talk trash about the paul just to cover up that they would love one but can not get one.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Ultimately the thing i don't understand is why people choose one kind of guitar and then become a die-hard supporter of them.. Especially the people who end up with a collection that is like 13 Jems.. all basically refinshes of the same guitar with the odd pick-up change here or there.

When i get a new guitar i want a different feel or a different sound. I love my Jem but rather than buy another I went out and got a Tele for a totally different option. I'd like a Les Paul but cash is as ever the problem.

I have my Jem and my PGM 100 so I have the superstrat covered plus a back up (can't play floating trem guitars live without a back up!). next on my shopping list is something different!

Last edited by ibaraki_gaijin; 02-22-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
Ultimately the thing i don't understand is why people choose one kind of guitar and then become a die-hard supporter of them.. Especially the people who end up with a collection that is like 13 Jems.. all basically refinshes of the same guitar with the odd pick-up change here or there.

When i get a new guitar i want a different feel or a different sound. I love my Jem but rather than buy another I went out and got a Tele for a totally different option. I'd like a Les Paul but cash is as ever the problem.

I have my Jem and my PGM 100 so I have the superstrat covered plus a back up (can't play floating trem guitars live without a back up!). next on my shopping list is something different!
Well put. Variety is the spice of life!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM

People can buy what they like in life. If some-one wants 13 JEMs and can afford them and they get enjoyment and pleasure from them........why shouldn't they
Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Spend 5 minutes playing my 1985 Les Paul Standard and you'll convert...easy. Yeah it's a little heavy (around 10 lbs) but with a nice Moody leather strap it doesnt feel that heavy.

My main guitars are Suhr, Hamer and J Customs but when it's time for a LP there's nothing else with that tone.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool

Quote:
Hey

No substance. New LP's are not much heavier than a Jem. Most certainly lighter than my PRS, or US Mockingbird or even my G&L Strat. The price start at or under a k which is Ibanez Prestige level. Playability is purely subjective.

Here are 2 things the jems are not very good at, which the LP does certainly alot better. Blues and downtuned ChuggaChugga for starters. Would not do that with my Jems. So they are surely not the be all end all. And most certainly not the best value for money either. If you want a great guitar whcih slays a Jem in ALL aspects get a Parker Fly.

And i like boobs and buns, have 3 jems currently and a ****load of other FR guitars, so no hate there either. And of course i value your opinion, but try to back it up with facts.

Lp's are heavy and overpriced is what the children say who can not afford one and mom and dad are not buying one. And than they talk trash about the paul just to cover up that they would love one but can not get one.

Well I don't think that saying JEMs aren't good to play the Blues is a fact either. The guitarist plays the blues and if the cat is good he/she can make any guitar moan them blues! I have played the Parkers and they are very nice but I wouldn't say they "slay" the JEM, again opnion not fact, also I see a lot more kids doing the chuggachugga downtuned stuff with Ibanez guitars so again not sure that's a fact either.

I am not married to any particular manufacturer or model (I do have my favorites though) and that's why I have a bit of everything in my collection including a Les paul. Remember folks, as it was pointed out in previous posts "variety is the spice of life" and that definitely applies to guitars.

Peace

Tags
ace frehley, acoustic guitar, beautiful guitar, block inlays, body shape, custom guitar, custom guitars, custom shop, david mccarroll, death metal, double cutaway, doug aldrich, ebony fretboard, electric guitar, evolution pickups, fat tone, fender strat, fixed bridge, flame maple, floyd rose, fret access, fret guitar, fret guitars, gary moore, gibson les paul, gibson les paul craze, gibson les paul custom, gibson les paul studio, guitar mag, guitar shop, guitar tech, ibanez guitars, ibanez jem, jimmy page, john sykes, korean guitar, les paul, les paul custom, les paul deluxe, les paul standard, les paul studio, les paul style guitar, les pauls, local guitar shop, locking trems, mahogany body, maple neck, maple necks, marshall amp, matic bridge, michael kelly, music store, neal schon, neck joint, neck pickup, neck pickups, neck thru, palm muting, parker fly, patrick eggle, pickup ring, pickup rings, planet waves, playing guitar, pro edge, robert plant, sounding guitar, squire strat, steel strings, steve vai, strat sound, strat style, strat style guitar, super strat, toggle switch, tone zone, trem guitar, upper fret, upper fret access, upper frets, vintage strat, zakk wylde

Show/Hide Posting Rules