<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand)

Other 6-string Guitars (non-Ibanez brand) Discussion about any other 6-string guitars not made by Ibanez.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Re: What Non-Ibanez's does everyone own here??

2 Gibson Explorers,, a thunderhorse and a faded
Epi explorer
Explorer project dubbed "the Exploder"
GFS thinline tele
Strat copy
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM

EVH Ernie Ball Music Man
EVH Peavey Wolfgang USA Stop Tail
EVH VH1 Replica
3 EVH Frankenstein Replicas
EVH 5150 Kramer Replica
Gibson Les Paul Standard '97
David Gilmour Fender "Black Strat" replica
Nuno Bettencourt N24 Washburn
MIM Fender Stratocaster (for SRV Project)
Fender Partscaster
MIJ Suzuki Stratocaster
Epiphone Explorer
Westone Thunder 1
Cort Gene Simmons Axe Bass
Cheap Les Paul Copy (Brand?)
Cyclone (?) Jackson copy
Even Cheaper Crap guitar (my 1st guitar that I'll never sell... or play)
Mini Kmart guitar (was going to do a VH thing with it, but I'm going to give it to my nephew)

Plus...
Ibanez JS 100
Ibanez AEG10 Acoustic Electric
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
EVH Ernie Ball Music Man
EVH Peavey Wolfgang USA Stop Tail
EVH VH1 Replica
3 EVH Frankenstein Replicas
EVH 5150 Kramer Replica
Gibson Les Paul Standard '97
David Gilmour Fender "Black Strat" replica
Nuno Bettencourt N24 Washburn
MIM Fender Stratocaster (for SRV Project)
Fender Partscaster
MIJ Suzuki Stratocaster
Epiphone Explorer
Westone Thunder 1
Cort Gene Simmons Axe Bass
Cheap Les Paul Copy (Brand?)
Cyclone (?) Jackson copy
Even Cheaper Crap guitar (my 1st guitar that I'll never sell... or play)
Mini Kmart guitar (was going to do a VH thing with it, but I'm going to give it to my nephew)

Plus...
Ibanez JS 100
Ibanez AEG10 Acoustic Electric
That is a shredder's dream. Congrats on those.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 AM

I'll admit it: I've become a complete sucker for PRSi. I know they're overpriced and not exactly worth the money they cost but **** me, they're beautiful guitars. So far, I only own one Standard 22 but knowing how these things go, it'll multiply throughout the next couple of years.

Maybe it's because I have become slow

(... and spend more time listening to the individual notes I play? )
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa View Post
I'll admit it: I've become a complete sucker for PRSi. I know they're overpriced and not exactly worth the money they cost but **** me, they're beautiful guitars. So far, I only own one Standard 22 but knowing how these things go, it'll multiply throughout the next couple of years.

Maybe it's because I have become slow

(... and spend more time listening to the individual notes I play? )
They first felt like a slow neck to me around the neck/body joint, but once you get used to it, you won't think about it again. I think the fast players who are used to Jacksons and Ibanez RGs probably won't like the neck/body joint on the PRS guitars but I don't think they went out to compete for pyrotechnic players.

Compared to some old school strats and vintage Les Pauls, the PRS are actually smoother, and maybe a little faster on their necks but the comparison is mostly in the feel/sound which is probably the best marriage between the balance and feel of a strat with some of the darkness and midrange of a Les Paul. It's a wonder why no major maker made a serious attempt to blend the characteristics of the two most popular guitars. They aren't cheap but then again the players here who go for Prestige and J-Customs are paying into the same price range.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 120

This is the guitar I cannot stop playing since I finished building it.

MIM alder strat body, Warmoth Vintage Modern neck, 1 piece maple, standard thin contour, stainless steel frets and a (badly done by me) satin poly clear on the neck. 1-11/16" wide at the nut.

The bridge is a custom made vintage strat style, 2-1/16" screw spacing to match the MIM strat spacing, but string spacing is 2-1/8". It has a brass baseplate, titanium saddles and titanium sustain block. The guitar sounds amazing acoustically and plugged in.

Currently it's got an EVH Frankenstein pickup ( thanks Silverctr ), which is freakin' amazing in this guitar.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
This is the guitar I cannot stop playing since I finished building it.

MIM alder strat body, Warmoth Vintage Modern neck, 1 piece maple, standard thin contour, stainless steel frets and a (badly done by me) satin poly clear on the neck. 1-11/16" wide at the nut.

The bridge is a custom made vintage strat style, 2-1/16" screw spacing to match the MIM strat spacing, but string spacing is 2-1/8". It has a brass baseplate, titanium saddles and titanium sustain block. The guitar sounds amazing acoustically and plugged in.

Currently it's got an EVH Frankenstein pickup ( thanks Silverctr ), which is freakin' amazing in this guitar.
That's an amazing guitar. My friend has similar guitar with lake placid blue body, dual humbuckers, and Warmoth maple neck with rosewood fretboard and stainless steel frets.

That Warmoth is the best playing neck I have ever put my hands on and maybe only a three thousand dollar Vigier is the only thing that plays as well. Those Warmoth necks play themselves.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
That's an amazing guitar. My friend has similar guitar with lake placid blue body, dual humbuckers, and Warmoth maple neck with rosewood fretboard and stainless steel frets.

That Warmoth is the best playing neck I have ever put my hands on and maybe only a three thousand dollar Vigier is the only thing that plays as well. Those Warmoth necks play themselves.
Thanks. Yeah, they are pretty damned nice. If I had the cash I'd be building another one.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
They first felt like a slow neck to me around the neck/body joint, but once you get used to it, you won't think about it again. I think the fast players who are used to Jacksons and Ibanez RGs probably won't like the neck/body joint on the PRS guitars but I don't think they went out to compete for pyrotechnic players.

Compared to some old school strats and vintage Les Pauls, the PRS are actually smoother, and maybe a little faster on their necks but the comparison is mostly in the feel/sound which is probably the best marriage between the balance and feel of a strat with some of the darkness and midrange of a Les Paul. It's a wonder why no major maker made a serious attempt to blend the characteristics of the two most popular guitars. They aren't cheap but then again the players here who go for Prestige and J-Customs are paying into the same price range.
i got a 24 today so sessy man.
pics tonight ( but from crappy phone cam).
Its whale blue 98 model. Its good to not have 50 ibanez cause they all basically sound and play the same.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 37

Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM

The PRS is a really nice one. Congrats. I never had the money and the used ones still go for a lot.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM

American Deluxe Stratocaster with:
- EMG SA active pickups
- EMG SPC mid booster
- Ghost piezo saddle pickups
- Ghost MIDI Hexpander

Fully shielded with copper because I was listening a damn radio station when playing with high gain,
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
That is a shredder's dream. Congrats on those.
Thanks...

These photos were taken before I got the 2 new Frankensteins, the Washburn & the MIM Strat.

The striped hockeystick neck on the couch is now on the Franky in the picture. The old neck is now on one of the new Franks I have...

Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM

That's a great ^^^^^ collection. It looks good on paper but to see them in a photo is the best. I have built a few partscasters (black with Wonderbar, then Kahler flatmount, and green one with Kahler knockoff) and have had all the Ibbys, strats, teles, Les Pauls, but never a Satch. I love the one you have in red! If I get another, it may be a red Charvel San Dimas with black hardware or similarly priced JS100 in red transparent.

I know acrylic or poly may be best, but Eddie used spray can Schwinn bicycle paint for his main strat. That enamel doesn't dry quickly but then gives a certain wear that a fully dried guitar can't get. There's something raw and drippy about bicycle enamel that makes it the real thing for a frankenstrat the same way that the terribly uneven crackled nitro works so well on old Gibsons, especially Korinas and Les Paul Juniors.

The vintage store near me, actually more a guitar museum, has four 1958 Gibson Korinas (2 Explorers, 1 RH V, and world's only LH V) and the way the nitro cracked on them is something ugly by most eyes but totally cool by vintage freaks like I used to be. The different halves of the V had radically different moisture contents in one of the Korina Vs that the cracking pattern is so different some 60 years later. I don't think Gibson bothered to use fully dried wood on those as most solidbody makers still did not see anything solid as a serious guitar. I often thought about getting a Epi V like that, stripping the perfect glassy poly finish, and then having my cabinet refinisher guy spray poly over it. If you subject it to crazy temperature changes then it can prematurely crack like an original and it's a Gibby frankenstein project I have thought about. The rubber on the bottom bout can be removed and weathered to crack. Gold plating, even new, wears rather quickly so that can be left alone. Anyway, a Korina relic project is something I may look into.

Another fun project, via painting, can be a vintage Fender custom order overspray from the 50s or 60s. Basically, a 60s MIM Fender Classic strat or tele in sunburst would do and it's not too pricey. Leo or George would take a finished sunburst body to auto finisher, and have them spray water based poly, like Fiesta Red, over the sunburst. After that, a few layers of nitro are sprayed over that. When you have a finished product it looks like a factory red strat, but is actually sunburst, covered by nitro, covered by water based acrylic, covered again by nitro. The wear pattern on those is frankenstein from hell and very cool. Only later did they leave some bodies aside for just the acrylic but some earlier spray overs are out there and pricey beyond belief. The nitro over years yellows and makes the guitar a little on the red-orange side and blue hued solids tend to get a greenish tint with aged nitro overspray. Add that to underocoats of sunburst and then you have a Holy Grail.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the compliment. It's funny that you mentioned the finish on Gibsons. I'm actually having a little trouble with mine ATM. Mines starting to flake near the pickup selector. I'm not sure whats causing it, but its annoying the hell out of me. It first started about a year ago (the flake was about an inch long) but I noticed that its gotten bigger a couple of weeks ago.

Any ideas what would be causing this??? Its a '97, but I've only had it about 2.5 years. We are getting close to the end of summer here... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
abalone inlays, alder body, beautiful guitar, blues saraceno, brian moore, caparison guitars, caparison horus, carvin bolt, charvel evh, charvel model, classic strat, crystal planet, custom guitar, custom jem, custom shop, custom shop swirl, custom swirl, dean evo, dean evo special, death metal, deluxe strat, dimarzio paf, dimarzio paf pro, dimarzio super distortion, dimarzio tone, dimarzio tone zone, dot inlay, double cutaway, ebmm evh, ebmm john petrucci, ebmm jpm, ebony board, ebony fingerboard, ebony fretboard, edge trem, epiphone les paul, eric johnson, eric johnson strat, evo bridge, evolution bridge, fanned fret, fanned frets, fat strat, fender bassman, fender custom shop, fender fat strat, fender strat, fender stratocaster, fender telecaster, flame maple, flamed maple, floyd rose, fret neck, gary moore, gibson custom shop, gibson les paul, gibson les paul classic, gibson les paul custom, gibson les paul standard, gibson les paul studio, gmc swirl, gold lace sensors, guitar shop, hamer standard, ibanez collection, ibanez guitars, ibanez jem, ibanez jpm, ibanez models, ibanez usa custom, jackson kelly, jackson soloist, jem custom, jimmy page, john petrucci, jumbo frets, killer guitar, kramer pacer, lace sensor, lace sensors, les paul, les paul classic, les paul custom, les paul deluxe, les paul standard, les paul studio, local luthier, locking tuners, mahogany body, malmsteen strat, maple neck, mij strat, neck pickup, neck thru, olympic white, paf pro, parker fly, parker fly classic, parker fly deluxe, patrick eggle, paul reed, paul reed smith, pearloid pickguard, peavey wolfgang, peavey wolfgang special, peavey wolfgang standard, playing guitar, prs mccarty, prs modern eagle, quilted maple, randy rhoads, reed smith, reverse headstock, rich warlock, richie sambora, rosewood neck, sam ash, scalloped fretboard, scalloped frets, schaller locking, schaller locking tuners, schecter revenger, shred machine, signature strat, squier strat, squire strat, srv strat, strat plus, string acoustic, suhr standard, super distortion, swamp ash, swamp ash body, thrash metal, tobacco sunburst, tone monster, tone zone, truss rod, tube amp, tung oil, vigier excaliber, warmoth neck, wolfgang special, yamaha pacifica, yngwie strat

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how do ibanez's sound ?

Show/Hide Posting Rules