Blocking the trem on my RG7620? - Because going out of tune - Jemsite
Other 7-string Guitars 7-string, 8-string & extend-range guitars guitar talk only here. All makes and models except the Universe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Blocking the trem on my RG7620? - Because going out of tune

Hi!

I'm new to the Jemsite community, but I'm a long-time Ibanez supporter and player. I just recently got a 1998 Ibanez RG7620. I was able to score a sweet deal on it and it's in EXCELLENT shape! Everything seems to be setup correctly, however I had a few questions on what might be the best route for some fixes/upgrades...

First of all, I love having the LoPro Edge trem on there, but I hate how it goes out of tune constantly. I own a 1996 Ibanez S470 that has a Lo TRS II (I believe?) that I had "blocked" by a local guitar shop. It works great now and *never* goes out of tune! I'd like to do the same with my RG7, but I'm wondering if there might be a more elegant solution. On this page (http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/det_etc.htm) an item called the "Ibanez Tremolo Unfloating Block" is listed. It's only listed as an item for JEM model guitars, however, I'm wondering if something like this exists and could be used on my RG7. If so, is it simple enough for someone like me to install or should I take it to a guitar shop? Has anyone else blocked the trem on their RG7 or UV? If so, please let me know!

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has tried replacement pickups on their RG7... I have Seymour Duncan TB-6 "Distortion" pickup on my S470 and I love it. Does anyone know if there is a 7-string version of this pickup? I'd love to get one installed in the bridge position on my guitar.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help me! Hope to be talking on the forum with you more in the future!

Later,
RedFive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 05:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Blocking the trem on my RG7620?

To TOTALLY block the tremolo, see the jemsite/guitar/TechSetup area.

The unfloating block will work on a 7 or just about any floyd type tremolo, if you can find one. You could make one with a hardwood (such as oak) screwed into the tremolo cavity the metal piece would be. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 09:02 PM

As for the upgrades, I think seymour duncan makes all of there pickups in a 7-string version. I'm about to customize my blue 7620 with a white pickgaurd, a blaze in the bridge, a blaze single coil in the middle, and a paf7 in the neck. Hope that helps.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I'd love to find one of those unfloating blocks. Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain one? Also, are they simple enough for an amateur to install? Or would I need a pro shop to install it for me?

Thanks again,
RedFive
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

One more thing...

I was checking out eBay and I came across this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1426034970

Is this the piece that I would need to block my trem on my RG7620? Please let me know!

Thanks,
RedFive
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 09:16 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

those are no longer made, and is what Steve is/was using. If you can use a screwdriver and drill, you can install it. First you must understand how it works, and fit it in the cavity before drilling any holes ...glen
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 08:20 PM

as the Jemsite resident Duncan 7 string pickup "ambassador," i can tell you that the Duncan Distortion is one of the Duncan humbuckers they make in a production version [i.e. it costs the same as the regular version]. *

they don't make all their pickups in production 7 string models, just about 6 of the humbuckers, including the JB, Custom, 59, Distortion, and Invader. *they can however make most of the other humbuckers and most of their single coils [but not the blade ones] in custom 7 string versions through the Duncan Custom Shop. *this used to cost about $125 per humbucker and $100 per single coil.

i use the JB 7's in my RG7620s and the Custom in one of my 540S7s and i think they sound great.

(Edited by Scott of Actual Time at 8:22 pm on April 23, 2001)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

I'm planning on getting a 7-string Duncan Distortion in the bridge position on my RG7620. I love the SH-6 in my S470 and I'd love to transfer that sound to my new 7-string.

As for the trem blocking, there is a wonderful local shop here in Western Washington called Mike Lull's Guitar Works (http://www.mikelull.com) that blocked the trem on my S470. I'm planning on having them block the trem of my new RG7620, install the 7-string Duncan Distortion and re-setup the neck and action for heavier gauge strings. (The guitar is setup for standard 009 - 052 gauge strings right now. I usually use 010s or "thin-n-thick" strings on my 6-string, so I'm going to get it setup for 010-056 such as the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 7-string set.) Oh, and last but not least, I ordered a set of black Straploks to finish the customization of my new axe. It just doesn't feel the same without them. :)

Any further suggestions?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:49 PM

If you're having troubles staying in tune with your Lo-Pro (which essentially, shouldn't be happening) Consider your setup. There are many elements that could stop your trem from being in tune, and almost all of them are addressed on this website. You've probably been here already, but just in case it's *http://www.jemsite.com/tech/index.htm
and the Tremolo tuning section is mostly in the Other Maintenance Mods/Setup section.

Hope this helps!

Skaught

Tags
bridge position , custom shop , duncan distortion , edge trem , ernie ball , gauge strings , guitar shop , ibanez trem , ibanez tremolo , local guitar shop , pro edge , pro edge trem , seymour duncan , string pickup , trem block , tremolo cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode