Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD: Cilia Guitars custom CGA7

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  wilch 
#1 ·
Hey all, hope everyone had/is having a safe and happy Christmas.

I guess, pics first, words later :)

So, on Christmas Eve my phone beeped and this is what I saw:

...and this is what I received:

See less See more
#3 ·
(***skip to spec's if you don't like reading novels :) ***)

So, around the start of the year I decided to reach out to Cilia Guitars to build me a new custom. After speaking to them and answering a few questions about what I want and my budget, I was promptly invited to the workshop and showroom.

When I showed up I was impressed. It's a really professional setup, with 2 levels. The bottom floor housing the office and workshop in the back (one very clean, and bright workshop), and a mezzanine showroom level with beautiful wood flooring, a wall of Cilia Guitars guitars, and many Bogner amplifiers to plug into.

On arriving, my mate and I were greeted by Charles Cilia who gave us a tour of the workshop, and then took us up to the showroom.

I meant to take a photo of the showroom, but every time I've been I've forgotten.

Anyway, in the showroom he had prepared a demo CGA7 that he had built before. It was a 27" scale though, but he had made sure it was set up to B standard before I got there. Plugged me in, and left me to try it out.

To save the blah blah'ing...Cilia Guitars has insane levels of attention to detail. The closer you look, the more fine detail you see.

...and Charles's setup is good too. Low action, amazingly well dressed frets. Sweet sounding all over the neck.

Anyway, after leaving us to our devices he came back up to see how I was doing, and the words, "I'd like to order one today" came out of my mouth.

After this, we sat down, talked spec's and wood types while he typed out my order. Then, he took me to the section of his workshop with all the wood.

He showed me some Alder, and then he got out all the top woods...I kinda wanted every top... ALL THE TOPS. But I settled on one quilted maple top that I really liked. I was torn between this and a burl.

I left a deposit that day, and went home wanting to fast forward time.

Then, one day, Charles sent this to my phone.

Then he called me up and asked me to come in to check and approve the neck carve.

There she is.

Not too bad, played it for a bit to see how I got on with the neck... Already loved the feel actually. :p

...and then, a few weeks later, my phone beeped again.

Then Charles called me. He was checking to see how I was liking the burst and the colour.

...and that was that. A few more weeks after that, and it was literally Christmas :D.

(*** end novel ***)

Specs:
- Alder Body
- 1/4" quilted maple top
- Matching headstock
- 25.5" scale length
- Wenge with walnut stripe neck
- Ebony fretboard
- Maple phoenix wing inlay
- 6100 stainless steel frets
- Hipshot bridge
- Graphtech Ghost Piezo saddles
- Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentient humbuckers
- Sperzel locking tuners
- 1x volume for pickups (push pull split)
- 1x volume for piezo (push pull preamp tonal variation)
- 3 way mini toggle (full electric, blend electric/piezo, full piezo)
- 2 way mini toggle (LED fret markers on/off)
- 3 way toggle (pickup selector)
- stereo input jack (can split piezo and humbuckers to separate channels).

finish:
- gloss blue burst
- transparent black rear
- oiled neck

demo video:

#13 ·
Happy New Year!
my 2014 New Years, Auld Lang Syne - Metal video

So, 7 days in with some weather extremes over here (cold and humid, to very hot and humid, to hot and dry), and me playing the guitar every day and it's stable as. The neck is rock solid, and tuning stayed the same during all the weather changes (and even then, if there was a slight difference it was the same across all 7 strings).

You know, the way it's supposed to be. (I've had a previously bad experience with another 7 from a different builder)

I also put new strings on her on New Years Eve before recording the video. Just because it's new year, and hey, I think of the first string change as part of a bonding ritual. :)

#15 ·
While seated, unnoticeable. While standing, perfectly balanced.

I wasn't sure about it at first tbh. When I was placing my order I even asked for the strap button to be put in the regular "Ibanez" position. But Charles convinced me otherwise. So I deferred to the opinion of the man who's been building guitars for 10 years or more. He was right, I was wrong. I don't even notice it being in a different position, and the guitar just sits properly when standing.

(I do occasionally try to put the strap lock at the top of the horn though!!!)

#19 ·
Thanks man. Yeah, the LED's were an addition I made after I put my order in. They work really well, even though I don't really need them (luminlay was my original request...and would've also done the job).

But hey, you only live once! LED's all the way. hehe.

Congrats!
Looks amazing.

I know this is a strange thing to say but it almost looks too good.
The first ding in that one will be a call from suicide lane :)

/Magnus
Thanks man. Yeah, lol. As long as I'm the one that ding's her and it gets dinged while being played (instead of being done while doing something stupid while it's not being played) then it'll be cool, and character adding.

Niiiice congrats

Love the neck and the flame!

How much does a custom start at?
Thanks man.

The base price on a CGA7 (when I ordered mine) started at $3,200 AUD.

FYI, the only thing that I didn't change on mine was the neck wood type (wenge/walnut/wenge/walnut/wenge), and guitar shape. Everything else was done at my request, or to my specification (e.g. neck carve/shape) at extra cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.