<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Other 7-string Guitars

Other 7-string Guitars 7-string, 8-string & extend-range guitars guitar talk only here. All makes and models except the Universe.

Old 08-07-2001, 09:49 AM

Quick Tuning on Lo Pro Edge 7 - Trem Block Question

I just received my RG2027X from Rich (who, by the way, I highly recommended - ridiculously smooth transaction) - what a sweet guitar!! *One question I have though which I couldn't answer based on archive searches, has to do with blocking the trem for tuning change purposes. *

My intention is to string the guitar with .011 through .058 strings and tune down to A as standard practice. *However, there are certain occasions when I'll want to tune back up to B (for a more standard tuning). *

Are there any commercial devices which can handle this scenario without having to readjust the trem? *As an alternate approach, could I not simply insert a shim of the appropriate width of some sort between the rear body cavity wall and the trem block? *I recognize that in the latter approach I'd lose the tremolo ability but I'm willing to forego this in exchange for simple tune ups to B and then back to A.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 08-07-2001, 05:08 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quick Tuning on Lo Pro Edge 7

Thanks Randy. This topic has come up many times, I'm sure a search will reveal the results. Unfortunately I never paid much attention to what was said
Old 08-07-2001, 05:18 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

there is no device that will do this keeping the trem floating. You could find the 'unfloating device' as i've called it or make your own. See GUITARS the click "other stuff" for pictures. It stops the float, allowing retuning very quickly... glen
Old 08-08-2001, 12:13 PM

You could even setup the trem in A tuning, and then cut and mold (by sanding) a piece of very hard wood into a block which fits perfectly between the trem and the side of the cavity so if you tune to A and take the block out, the trem floats in the right position but if you insert the block and begin tuning up to B then the trem will stay where it is...assuming the block fits right.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:48 PM

A friend of mine gave me a big block of solid maple. *I'm going to try creating a block out of the maple. *Thanks for the help.

Randy
Old 08-12-2001, 02:45 PM

I have another question related to this topic. *When I pull off the trem cavity cover on my RG2027X (as the picture below details), I see the braided piezo wire coming out of the trem block. *I also see what appears to be electrical tape or a rubber band wrapped around the trem block. *I'm not sure where the piezo wire exits the trem block and if it might be underneath this tape/rubber band. *My concern now is that if I insert a block of this maple between the trem block and the back wall of the cavity, I might somehow pinch or shear the piezo braided wire as I'm not sure of its path.

Any ideas on the exact routing of this wire and if I'm safe inserting a chunck of maple to block the tremolo?

Thanks again,

Randy

Tags
cavity cover, trem block

Show/Hide Posting Rules