Alder VS Basswood bodies - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

View Poll Results: What body wood do you prefer?
Alder 24 52.17%
Basswood 22 47.83%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Alder VS Basswood bodies

What do you prefer and why? Not to mention WTF IS THE DIFFERENCE? Discuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Alder VS Basswood bodies

Yeah but this is a poll
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 AM

tough poll, both woods are great tonewoods. i have guitars made of both and they all can sound fantastic, although the pickups that sound best in one may not sound as good in the other. my main guitars are alder, but i really really like the sound of the js1000 and the ernie ball musicman axis, both of which are basswood. my alder guitars have 24 frets and a neck that i really dig, which was the real deciding factor as opposed to the wood choice.

as for the differences, alder is probably a little more tonally balanced than basswood. it's harder (basswood is quite soft) and is a very classic tonewood. alder doesn't seem to boost any frequencies too much, it's just a great tonewood that serves as a solid template for a guitar body. that being said, i really don't like the sound of the fred in an alder body. very sterile sounding imo.

basswood is, as the name implies, quite bassy in tone, although that bassiness is 'spongy' as opposed to 'tight'. lower midrange is also emphasized. the highs are present too, but they are rounded and smoothed out. these tonal qualities are probably why a lot of players dig basswood as a tonewood for guitars that will be solo guitars. there is a certain vocal quality to basswood that you don't get from alder. basswood is typically lighter as well and very plentiful (i.e. cheaper).
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:51 AM

I like both
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Dee

Alder for me. Basswood is cheap, that's why it's used so much!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:49 AM

I don't think basswood is only used because it's cheap. I would choose alder though as long as it's not too heavy.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild
basswood is, as the name implies, quite bassy in tone, although that bassiness is 'spongy' as opposed to 'tight'. lower midrange is also emphasized. the highs are present too, but they are rounded and smoothed out. these tonal qualities are probably why a lot of players dig basswood as a tonewood for guitars that will be solo guitars. there is a certain vocal quality to basswood that you don't get from alder. basswood is typically lighter as well and very plentiful (i.e. cheaper).
Basswood is not "base-wood", it's "bass-wood", like the fish.

As in "big mouthed bass."

Not bass as in low-frequencies.

Very common mistake since we're musicians.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
I don't think basswood is only used because it's cheap. I would choose alder though as long as it's not too heavy.
Basswood IS cheap.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Vendor

Using that logic, please explain why a whole lot of star players that could afford to have guitars built out of solid gold, prefer basswood.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 PM

Cheap basswood is inexpensive, good basswood is not. It's only 'cheap' here in the United States compared to many other woods because it's native to North America.

And Rich has a very good point, if its only appeal is that it's cheap, I really doubt so many very well financed guitar players would use it.

Hell, most players with endorsements get them for FREE, so yes, they could choose to have all their guitars made from the most exotic woods available, but many of them do choose basswood, for sonic reasons mainly . . . weight as well . . . and I'm sure other, good reasons.

Let's not forget, Steve Vai and Joe Satch both chose basswood for their original signature guitars. Steve later switched to alder for the Jem, but his original choice was basswood. I think the change to alder had as much to do with the new pickups as anything else.

Last edited by MicJustMic; 06-18-2006 at 08:51 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 PM

I prefer alder because of its more ''dry'' tone and it looks good with transparent finish and it doesn't weight too much.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:37 PM

I have both and prefer alder. Just seems to have a more pleasing resonance, to me.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

How much is a good sized piece of Alder for creating a guitar? Also, any neck suggestions? I want to have a nice 7 string baritone.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Using that logic, please explain why a whole lot of star players that could afford to have guitars built out of solid gold, prefer basswood.
I said it is CHEAP, not SH1T.

Tags
alder body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , body shape , ernie ball , guitar body , guitar players , leo fender , les paul , mahogany body , maple neck , signature guitar , sounding guitar , steve vai , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode