<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Re: Anyone Interested in Powdercoated (coloured!!!) Bridges?

I got a crappy old Edge Trem id love to get powder coated, even for just a laugh as the current state is dirty and crappy !!!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryabov View Post
Do you think something like this will work for an RGA121 Gibraltar Plus bridge? The one I have on my guitar right now looks really nasty and I'd like to have it in black. Any ideas on how to do it?
Im not sure, i will just know if low pro edge 7 saddles work.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 AM

I think it might.
If the coating is uniform and is the same on all saddles, the overall bridge radius should stay the same, it will just raise the all the strings as if you put shims under all saddles. This can be remedied by lowering the entire bridge. Intonation shouldn't suffer much either (an issue may be with the G and low E stings). My only concern is the width. But I guess it's a try and see kind of deal.

Anyone to disprove my theory (before I ruin my bridge) is welcomed!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I got a crappy old Edge Trem id love to get powder coated, even for just a laugh as the current state is dirty and crappy !!!
Just buy some Auto-sol and give the parts a good polish. It'll look like a near new chrome Edge then.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Or powdercoat it pink

I have a feeling if this goes well I will end up sending in a lot more to be coated.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Just buy some Auto-sol and give the parts a good polish. It'll look like a near new chrome Edge then.
Im more then over, doing my own mods and customs... Its just not my thing as I never fully get the outcome im after.. I prefer to leave it to the pro's :P

PLus I get to have a colored Edge:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Or powdercoat it pink

I have a feeling if this goes well I will end up sending in a lot more to be coated.
Yeah im up for it.. I will await the results !!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM

Looks awesome! I remember the custom 7 string with a white bridge from years back. A nice way to get matching hardware.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 AM
(a)
Takin' a Ride  is online

Quote:
That trem in the multiverse is fully functional
You don't know how it was done, you're just assuming that it was powdercoated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
Powder does not have a good compressive load strength compared to the base metal, especially when the load has rotation. This means that if you were to torque down on a small hex head cap screw on a powder coated surface it will be VERY likely that you will compress and break the coating radially around the screw.
I can attest to this. I had the valve cover of an old car powdercoated. It cracked where all the bolts attached it to the head.

Based on the fact that you can coat guns with this (which would have very tight tolerances), this product may work:

http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post

I can attest to this. I had the valve cover of an old car powdercoated. It cracked where all the bolts attached it to the head.

Based on the fact that you can coat guns with this (which would have very tight tolerances), this product may work:

http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/
That duracoat comes in some cool colors....wonder if this stuff floats on water....

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_electric.html
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Actually I do know it was powdercoated because I spoke with the owner of that guitar. I'm not assuming anything. Thanks for the attitude though....

Its not like I stand to make a profit on this in any sort of way btw, I'm just doing this because I wanted a coloured bridge forever and I assumed others would too.

Last edited by Stealthtastic; 01-15-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 37

be careful doing these and be smart about it.
i knew it could cause issues and so did rich .

here the guy who started this mess own words.

ahull123
MG.ORG Regular

Member Number: 1666
Home: confusion
108 Posts
Gallery: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch
Hey ahull123,

I saw this thread a few days ago while searching for LGM stuff. Fell in love with it. It's beutiful, one of the handful of guitars I actually just laugh at how perfect it is.

How did you do the bridge? I'm assuming the tuners are powdercoated; is the bridge powdercoated too? Did you have any problems with the finishing process adding thickness to the components so they didn't align properly?

Feel free to leave it to me in your will.

as far as the will goes, I am not planning on dying anytime soon...

yeah, the parts are powder coated, and yeah, it causes a lot of problems, nothing fits right and you have to file everything by hand. Originally the whole string retainer part of the trem was powder coated but I couldn't get the retaining blocks to look/work properly because of the thickness. That being said the areas where I did use it worked out great, except that if you are using a one coat system it has to be covered more than once to not have the base color show through. I would use a 2 coat system if I had to do it again (for neon colors only) normal colors would work in one coat.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
(a)
Takin' a Ride  is online

Quote:
Actually I do know it was powdercoated because I spoke with the owner of that guitar. I'm not assuming anything. Thanks for the attitude though....

Its not like I stand to make a profit on this in any sort of way btw, I'm just doing this because I wanted a coloured bridge forever and I assumed others would too.
I have an attitude? I have zero interest in doing this at all. I offered advice based on the fact that I actually have experience powdercoating things. I even offered an alternative that seemed like it would work better.

Thanks for being so gracious about my free advice, bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull123 View Post
yeah, the parts are powder coated, and yeah, it causes a lot of problems, nothing fits right and you have to file everything by hand. Originally the whole string retainer part of the trem was powder coated but I couldn't get the retaining blocks to look/work properly because of the thickness.
And yeah...just what I said.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
be careful doing these and be smart about it.
i knew it could cause issues and so did rich .

here the guy who started this mess own words.

ahull123
MG.ORG Regular

Member Number: 1666
Home: confusion
108 Posts
Gallery: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch
Hey ahull123,

I saw this thread a few days ago while searching for LGM stuff. Fell in love with it. It's beutiful, one of the handful of guitars I actually just laugh at how perfect it is.

How did you do the bridge? I'm assuming the tuners are powdercoated; is the bridge powdercoated too? Did you have any problems with the finishing process adding thickness to the components so they didn't align properly?

Feel free to leave it to me in your will.

as far as the will goes, I am not planning on dying anytime soon...

yeah, the parts are powder coated, and yeah, it causes a lot of problems, nothing fits right and you have to file everything by hand. Originally the whole string retainer part of the trem was powder coated but I couldn't get the retaining blocks to look/work properly because of the thickness. That being said the areas where I did use it worked out great, except that if you are using a one coat system it has to be covered more than once to not have the base color show through. I would use a 2 coat system if I had to do it again (for neon colors only) normal colors would work in one coat.
Yeah Hull mentioned that when I talked to him amongst other things, I already forwarded his notes he provided me to the guy doing the powdercoating. Super nice guy!

Quote:
I have an attitude? I have zero interest in doing this at all. I offered advice based on the fact that I actually have experience powdercoating things. I even offered an alternative that seemed like it would work better.

Thanks for being so gracious about my free advice, bro

And yeah...just what I said.
You told me that I was assuming it was powdercoated when I wasn't assuming anything.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Reviews: 37

well?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
well?
Oops dissregard my post

Show/Hide Posting Rules