Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Yngwie would release the fookin fury on you man....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM

I dont know he might like one. Te be honest i love mine because of how well it stays in tune for string bending.
Mark
post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmusicman View Post
I dont know he might like one. Te be honest i love mine because of how well it stays in tune for string bending.
Mark
To something else....

I really liked your written song to your ex girlfriend: I really love you....

It was pretty.

Nice done...
post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuitar View Post
But it's non floating. You can tighten the screws in the back of a normal Strat and get the same effect. Dumb product.
You can tighten the screws with a twenty inch torque wrench if you want but you will still only have a single acting tremolo, you are missing the whole point because the StepMax is a double acting tremolo with additional features that enhance the use of a tremolo while also allowing the guitar to stay in better tune, This has been an issue with tremolos forever, but finally the Stepmax has moved us forward in this area.
Mark

Last edited by markmusicman; 04-15-2008 at 01:01 PM.
post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 PM

i'll stick with my Zr with Backstop
post #21 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

Looks like one of those "As seen on t.v." products. Prior to marketing such a product to the public, don't you think it would have been advised to find an endorsee...
post #22 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 PM

I think it would have been wise to shoot footage of it actually working.

Would have helped to have designed it not to be so hideous too.
post #23 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM10th View Post
I watched a demo off a new tremolo which wont get out of tune, even if a string breaks.
Not entirely true, this is what the site claims:

The StepMax tremolo is easy to install, has excellent performance and requires no permanent modifications. The tremolo also maintains great stability for drop tunings and "stays in reasonable tune when a string breaks."

IMO it is a rip off of the Kahlers it pretty much uses the same concept as the 2300 series trems!
post #24 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Well I love me Stepmax and cant wait to get the one on my malmsteen guitar. I do alot of double string bends and there is nothing worse than using a whammy while performing these types of guitar licks. To me, I beieve this is the best attribute of the stepmax. Another thing if a string break does occur the guitar does stay im much better tune than a floating system. Here is a better demo demonstrating the Stepmax. In this demo they tune the e sting right down to nothing and they are still able to play a scale in tune on the other 5 strings. This would be impossible with a floating system.

Mark
http://www.stepmaxtrem.com/stepmax_demo.php
Here is a photo of my guitar with the stepmax and custom whammy bar
http://www.marksmultimediastudio.com...s/DSC_1291.jpg

Last edited by markmusicman; 04-16-2008 at 02:34 PM.
post #25 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM

lmao@ it going out of tune.. not to mention that neither were in that great tune to begin with
post #26 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Not going out of tune due to string breakage isn't a feature of a non-floating trem. Just think about why a floating trem goes out of tune when a string breaks, then think about the difference between a floating and non-floating trem.

It is silly to compare a non-floating trem to a floating trem, they are separate systems and work quite differently. They aren't even intended as replacements for floating trems, they are vintage trem replacements. The fact you can pull up on it doesn't make it the same as a floating trem, I'm almost positive you can get a decent amount of pull up on a Bigsby.
post #27 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

All these comment really dont mean anything the whole point I am trying to make is I have a stepMax and to me I believe the unit is far superior to the original fender unit. The tremolo allows for more range and stays in tune on double string bends these two things alone have made this device something I Love.
Mark
post #28 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM

somethings not right.

Magically mark is a member to endorse the product. he only posts here in this thread and he is radically, illogically adamant that the stepmax is the best thing since sliced bread. Even ignores the fact that the device is not a replacement or even compatible with a full floating system.
post #29 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Listen, I have a Jem guitar and love the bridge that is on the guitar. I am only speaking about the StepMax in terms as it relates to the fender Strat I have. I am not trying to get anyopne here to purchase one I am just putting my opinion out there as I have one and love it!

How many others on this site have used one? I joined in on this discussion because I saw some negative comments about the unit and wanted to let people know the unit is actualy very nice.
Mark
post #30 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
somethings not right.

Magically mark is a member to endorse the product. he only posts here in this thread and he is radically, illogically adamant that the stepmax is the best thing since sliced bread. Even ignores the fact that the device is not a replacement or even compatible with a full floating system.
I have a StepMax Tremolo and I agree with you it is not intended to replace a floating tremolo you would require to many modifications, and their are certain thing you cannot do with the StepMax flutters being one of them. If you a floater on your Axe you are stuck with it there is know replacing it if you do not like it, but who wants to hack away at their 59 Strat to put one on anyway. I have friend who owns a guitar shop and his walls are covered with second hand guitars with Floyd Rose tremolos on them, 90% of them have had their tremolos blocked so they do not move at all. StepMax I have installed in 30 mins and I was playing within 45 mins and I can take it off if I want and you will not know I ever had one one. Its a great upgrade for a single acting Trem.
Closed Thread

Tags
base plate , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , fender strat , fender stratocaster , floating bridges , floating tremolo , floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , guitar players , guitar shop , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jeff beck , kahler trem , locking tuners , malmsteen strat , steve vai , strat style , string breakage , string tree , string trees , trem block , trem setter , tremolo bridge , tremolo system , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode