Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
He said three wilkinsons not three step maxes .
Whooops my mistake!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I believe currently Ford owns Jaguar. I am just saying.
Dam what is the world coming to!!
post #48 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I like how they say it "stays in REASONABLE tune..."
I think you have that in the wrong context I says (stays in reasonable tune if a string breaks)
post #49 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Maybe he got his stepmax for free as long as he did some promo azzkissing for stepmax in forums

Jimmy
You must be right.
post #50 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
I'm curious as to why the manufacturer chose to *seal* the unit. My first impression is the obvious, to allow for a handrest, and possibly better contain the lubrication within the device without exposing it to dust/etc. Another thought presents itself as possible patent infringement, and using the defense that the device was reverse engineered to disclose such information. Then again, maybe the manufacturer would prefer not to easily allow consumers to determine whether the internal components consist of cheap materials?
Yep! you cannot trust government agencies USPO to really look into things. Its probably made of melted down frying pans and old mattres springs I shall take mine off before it kills me.
post #51 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
So are markmusicman and baxter, Keith Pate and Joe Folmar incognito?
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...102&RS=7339102

and...what is a reverse tremolo bridge?

I've got to give the guys credit, I bet they went through hell, several resubmissions to acquire that patent.
I think a reverse Tremolo bridge is another way of saying double acting, probably lawyer language. I like the way you took the time to look up the patent,and you probably right I cannot comment as I have never gone through it. But I must say I have been around a long time and have never seen a tremolo that looks and acts like a Stepmax, Why do you think they had a struggle to get the patent?
post #52 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
3 Ford Gt-500's or 400's
you have me there, one up for you !?
post #53 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rhaab View Post
i'll stick with my Zr with Backstop
Don't blame you! Stick with best.
post #54 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Talking Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

To change the venue I think we have worn the Stepmax out. Has anybody used or seen a Trem-King or a Super V, I believe they are pretty decent.
post #55 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixomwhat View Post
Yep +1.

These guys show up and just start talking up this new bridge system that nobody else has tried. Fishy!
Yes it is very fishy, but there are a few some where I'm sure, they have testimonials on their site. Unless of course they are bogus and they made them up! I guess you can say anything on line. But we are not fooled by this, being the trem watch dogs that we are.
post #56 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 PM

wow dude you wrote like 20 posts lol
I haven´t tried this trem, but the fact that it doesn´t flutter sucks
post #57 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvai View Post
wow dude you wrote like 20 posts lol
I haven´t tried this trem, but the fact that it doesn´t flutter sucks
It's a different type of tremolo it as a neutral position if it did flutter you would have the same old problems ,you cannot rest your hand on the floating trem or it moves out of tune, and its uncomfortable with all the paraphernalia on the end. If you can't survive as a guitarist without a flutter you must have a small repertuar in your style. The flutter is a byproduct of an unstable Tremolo. Try striking the High E and bend the "G" and "B" string together (do not play them) and listen how the E string goes flat this does not happen with a Stepmax double acting tremolo. A good guitarist would appreciate this far more than a flutter or two in a tune, I know.
post #58 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Yea, all those rock star morons playing full floaters are just posers, with 15 albums each, and more bank than all the rest of us put together.

To each their own, but don't ever claim to know how good or bad a guitarist is by the choice of their choice or preference in equipment.
post #59 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 PM

well i been watching this thread for a lil while now and i own a fender with a vintage vibrato and really it dont go out of tune for me i can faff about all day and no i dont have locking tuners or roller nut everythink is stock i dont abuse the trem on it i have my ibanez for doing that also for the price of the stepmax whatnot you can get very well known bands ie gotoh and such if someone wants to have a trem that can go up and down in pitch they either set there trem on strat to do that or get it fitted with a floater as for it holding reasonable tune when a string breaks what i heard on the site advertising it is it still went out of tune also they couldnt even tune there guitars to start with i personally wont be buying one of these trems there too new i aint ever heard of em and there very expensive for soemthink that looks cheeply made no offence to anyoen who has one thats my £2 worth..

ps vai flutters his trem nuff said
post #60 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM

I don't know, Jeff Beck seems to keep his classic-tremolo equipped guitars in tune pretty well even with all the whammy abuse.
Closed Thread

Tags
base plate , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , fender strat , fender stratocaster , floating bridges , floating tremolo , floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , guitar players , guitar shop , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jeff beck , kahler trem , locking tuners , malmsteen strat , steve vai , strat style , string breakage , string tree , string trees , trem block , trem setter , tremolo bridge , tremolo system , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode