Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,514
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
If you can't survive as a guitarist without a flutter you must have a small repertuar in your style. The flutter is a byproduct of an unstable Tremolo. Try striking the High E and bend the "G" and "B" string together (do not play them) and listen how the E string goes flat this does not happen with a Stepmax double acting tremolo. A good guitarist would appreciate this far more than a flutter or two in a tune, I know.
So the stepmax allows you to bend with out other strings detuning. A lot of devices do that. And a lot of guitarist have been able to survive with out it.
moebius is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Jersey, United States
Posts: 206
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
The flutter is a byproduct of an unstable Tremolo. Try striking the High E and bend the "G" and "B" string together (do not play them) and listen how the E string goes flat this does not happen with a Stepmax double acting tremolo. A good guitarist would appreciate this far more than a flutter or two in a tune, I know.
A "good" guitarist that knows how to use a floating tremolo also knows how to keep that in tune. All you do is rest your hand on the bridge with just enough pressure to keep it from moving. You only even have to do that when you are doing things like unison bends, it doesn't really matter if a string you aren't playing is going out of tune slightly while it is muted.
Matheau is offline  
post #63 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Daytona, FL
Posts: 1,917
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Acid test, does it hold tuning when you bounce the arm off the face of the guitar?

Tremsetters work the same way, kill flutter too, and don't require you to have that fugly thing on your guitar.
toshiro is offline  
post #64 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 42
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
So the stepmax allows you to bend with out other strings detuning. A lot of devices do that. And a lot of guitarist have been able to survive with out it.
Of course they have they did not have a choice.
Baxter is offline  
post #65 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,514
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Of course they have they did not have a choice.
moebius is offline  
post #66 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 42
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Yeah, it looks like garbage, is overpriced and every demo video shows it on some junk guitar with someone who is a super horrible player using it. Really makes me want one.
Have seen the price of an original Floyd over $300, not a knock off cheapo. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder I love its smoothness I like to rest my hand on it, a feature you can't do on a a floater. Plus I can take it off and put it on another vintage Fender guitar in about 1/2 hour instead of buying 2.
Baxter is offline  
post #67 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 1,847
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Plus I can take it off and put it on another vintage Fender guitar in about 1/2 hour instead of buying 2.
Now if that step max could keep two guitars "reasonable in tune" at once after breaking a string I'd be impressed





Why would anyone who is so sold on the step max take it off of any guitar? Isn't the improvement so vast that to not have it on a guitar would be intolerable?

Shouldn't it make you want to have one on every guitar you own?
kotornut is offline  
post #68 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Daytona, FL
Posts: 1,917
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Have seen the price of an original Floyd over $300, not a knock off cheapo. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder I love its smoothness I like to rest my hand on it, a feature you can't do on a a floater. Plus I can take it off and put it on another vintage Fender guitar in about 1/2 hour instead of buying 2.
Original Floyds are $180, not $300+.

Again, a Hipshot Tremsetter will do the same thing, with the same negative attributes.
toshiro is offline  
post #69 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 2,758
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Nice to see someone trying to be innovative, but this seems to be trying to solve something that isn't really much of a problem. Near zero market for this I reckon.
Algiman is offline  
post #70 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 42
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Now if that step max could keep two guitars "reasonable in tune" at once after breaking a string I'd be impressed

I will ignore that remark.



Why would anyone who is so sold on the step max take it off of any guitar? Isn't the improvement so vast that to not have it on a guitar would be intolerable?

Shouldn't it make you want to have one on every guitar you own?
Just trying to get a point across as to the ease of installation, and know damage. I only have one Strat why would I want 2 my other guitars are different and unsuitable for a StepMax unfortunately.
Baxter is offline  
post #71 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: leeds uk
Posts: 129
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Have seen the price of an original Floyd over $300, not a knock off cheapo. I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder I love its smoothness I like to rest my hand on it, a feature you can't do on a a floater. Plus I can take it off and put it on another vintage Fender guitar in about 1/2 hour instead of buying 2.
well i can rest my hand on my gotoh floyd and its very comfatable yea you may like the step max but for one you came onto jem site (home of the ibanez jem ) that has a floater and started saying how your trem is sooo much better its a direct replacement on a fender strat nothink to do with ibanez jems and the pointers you makign for it bieng good are doable with a backstop amongst oter things that let you keep your nice edge trem which looks a billion times better and performs probably a million times better yea you may love the step max but it dont do you good to come here and bash ibanez edges or orig floyd roses step max looks cheep tacky and it actually doesnt fix any problems that a decent guitarist can get around break a string go buy a new set sheeeesh or have the trem blocked or use a trem setter
drizzt75 is offline  
post #72 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 42
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Original Floyds are $180, not $300+.

Again, a Hipshot Tremsetter will do the same thing, with the same negative attributes.
The Floyd Rose I saw was $330, I see now we having a go at Hipshot who was trying to improve the floater that's all, because he new it needed it, their is no stopping your abuse, what do you like anyway.
Baxter is offline  
post #73 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: mexico, mx
Posts: 458
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

wow you nearly got scammed haha, $330 for a OFR. anyways decent players will be able to get double stop bends in tune after getting used to the floater
rvai is offline  
post #74 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Daytona, FL
Posts: 1,917
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
The Floyd Rose I saw was $330, I see now we having a go at Hipshot who was trying to improve the floater that's all, because he new it needed it, their is no stopping your abuse, what do you like anyway.


$330 for an OFR is almost double what they cost, talk about getting ripped off. I don't need any of this stuff, and leave my bridges full floating. If I were to buy a "fix" it would be the Tremol-no.
toshiro is offline  
post #75 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 42
Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt75 View Post
well i can rest my hand on my gotoh floyd and its very comfatable yea you may like the step max but for one you came onto jem site (home of the ibanez jem ) that has a floater and started saying how your trem is sooo much better its a direct replacement on a fender strat nothink to do with ibanez jems and the pointers you makign for it bieng good are doable with a backstop amongst oter things that let you keep your nice edge trem which looks a billion times better and performs probably a million times better yea you may love the step max but it dont do you good to come here and bash ibanez edges or orig floyd roses step max looks cheep tacky and it actually doesnt fix any problems that a decent guitarist can get around break a string go buy a new set sheeeesh or have the trem blocked or use a trem setter
OK you win I am new at this and I did not realize that this website is purely for Ibanez fans. I will not bother you again I'm done. You have probably killed the chances of the Stepmax selling anymore anyway. The owners will probably blow their brains out. I guess you all put them in their place Hey!
Baxter is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
base plate , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , fender strat , fender stratocaster , floating bridges , floating tremolo , floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , guitar players , guitar shop , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jeff beck , kahler trem , locking tuners , malmsteen strat , steve vai , strat style , string breakage , string tree , string trees , trem block , trem setter , tremolo bridge , tremolo system , vintage trem

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Trem Posts LonePhantom Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 12 05-02-2008 10:52 AM
old RG or new Saber (questions regarding trem) andY.gR Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 6 12-26-2005 01:16 AM
Locking trem studs on the new trems Drew Comments to Ibanez 20 07-19-2003 03:37 PM
guys, plez help me with my new rg 450 trem lock rainss Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 9 06-04-2002 06:51 AM
Knife edges/trem posts - JS1000 Idiot Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 31 05-22-2002 06:05 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome