Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ? - Page 7 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 AM

Re: Anyone tried the "StepMax" trem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
reminds me of the tremking

http://www.tremking.com/

another expensive trem replacement that claims to fix all the problems of the traditional trem.
Point taken
Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados View Post
Hey guys stop the war and let us play and smoke together and feel alright
Good idea!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
You had better sell your strats then, since none of us are "real guitar players".

If you don't work for Stepmax, I'll be very surprised. You join a forum without even looking at what said forum is about to shill a product, anything you say is suspect, IMO.

It's either that, or you're a troll.
Point taken.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 AM

You know, I just don't understand this... I think we can agree that the example videos on the site don't show the product in the best light.
We can also agree that it isn't really a replacement for a full floating Floyd/Edge style trem, which we should all accept has some disadvantages as well as advantages.
If this new product was being rolled out on all Ibanez guitars from now on, then I could understand the vehement comments, but it's just an add on item to replace strat style trems that you don't have to buy!
Maybe as the product gets used more, the appearance may be *improved* and peoples comments on the cosmetics may be heeded.
The only thing I don't understand is why when you break a string it doesn't stay perfectly in tune. I assume the base plate is hard against the guitar top in the normal configuration and cannot move if a string is broken, I guess there's a slight tension in the cam system (that raises the pitch when the arm is pulled up) and when this relaxes on string break the tuning suffers a bit, maybe that could be improved?
Jim
Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados View Post
Hey guys stop the war and let us play and smoke together and feel alright
Hippie!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
You know, I just don't understand this... I think we can agree that the example videos on the site don't show the product in the best light.
We can also agree that it isn't really a replacement for a full floating Floyd/Edge style trem, which we should all accept has some disadvantages as well as advantages.
If this new product was being rolled out on all Ibanez guitars from now on, then I could understand the vehement comments, but it's just an add on item to replace strat style trems that you don't have to buy!
Maybe as the product gets used more, the appearance may be *improved* and peoples comments on the cosmetics may be heeded.
The only thing I don't understand is why when you break a string it doesn't stay perfectly in tune. I assume the base plate is hard against the guitar top in the normal configuration and cannot move if a string is broken, I guess there's a slight tension in the cam system (that raises the pitch when the arm is pulled up) and when this relaxes on string break the tuning suffers a bit, maybe that could be improved?
Jim
At last a constructive argument. Funnily enough the more strings you break the more it stays in tune (except with neck flex). You are thinking cam action like a Bigsby etc. The strings are not connected to the cam in any way in the StepMax its a simple alternative idea. The bottom of the Tremolo does not move anywhere in the case of a string break. Just like you say it gets pulled down to the body of the guitar even harder. It is shown breaking a string or at leased they release one off in a demo the low "E" just for an eggsagerated point, I doubt if anybody does that very often. I have released the "A" as well and it still stays in "reasonable tune" Forward action is like the old Fender trem, no difference.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Ha, wow, this thread really blew up. Wish I'd seen it earlier with popcorn in hand
Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspeed View Post
Ha, wow, this thread really blew up. Wish I'd seen it earlier with popcorn in hand
Roll your sleeves up Buddie and dive in!!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Great job adressing how ugly the stepmax is.

Also, you still haven't assured anyone that it works better than advertised, since the ads show that it doesn't work. The fact that you are here arguing with us makes me want it less and less. It smells like a plant. You're obviously only here to talk about the step max.

And last but not least, you can't argue with people who are happy with their trems. My edge stays in tune just fine. And I am good enough at guitar to not break strings all the time. Maybe you still have trouble with how hard you attack the strings but I don't, so the step max is absolutely unnessicary. I can pull up I'm aparently as strong as the Hulk 'cause it's easy for me. Maybe you shold work out. It isn't hard. I can flutter and do anything I need to.

So tell me why, advertisement man, I should want to buy the most useless, ugly piece of hardware I've ever seen.
OK I am outta hear, adios amigos, good bye, so long, see ya, this could go on for ever, I did my job I stirred you guys up, aggravated you a bit, I did good work, now its time to move on and leave you guys Jemmin.

Last edited by Baxter; 04-26-2008 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Missa letter
Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt75 View Post
well i can rest my hand on my gotoh Floyd and its very comfortable yea you may like the step max but for one you came onto jem site (home of the ibanez jem ) that has a floater and started saying how your trem is sooo much better its a direct replacement on a fender strat nothing to do with ibanez jems and the pointers you making for it being good are doable with a backstop amongst other things that let you keep your nice edge trem which looks a billion times better and performs probably a million times better yea you may love the step max but it don't do you good to come here and bash ibanez edges or orig floyd roses step max looks cheep tacky and it actually doesn't fix any problems that a decent guitarist can get around break a string go buy a new set sheeeesh or have the trem blocked or use a trem setter
I did not start the war of the StepMax, if you go back to the originator of this thread, (and I think I know who started this bull) it was not me. Too many people are making comments within a minute or two of each other, that is suspicious in itself. NONE OF YOU AS EVEN TRIED ONE, FOR THE LAST TIME THIS TREMOLO IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE A FLOATING TREMOLO.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I did not start the war of the StepMax, ......
but you are quite intent on keeping it going though aren't you?

You say this on the 26th:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
OK I am outta hear, adios amigos, good bye, so long, see ya, this could go on for ever, I did my job I stirred you guys up, aggravated you a bit, I did good work, now its time to move on and leave you guys Jemmin.
No one bites so you reappear 2 days later to stir things up again. I doubt that you are working for the company. If you were you'd have been sacked by now for unprofessional ranting.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Its great that this thing stays in tune better the more strings you break.

Would be much cooler if there were a 12 string version.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post

I don't think they would do that, as there is not a lot of call for a Tremolo on a 12 string guitar. It would be cool though!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post

Put it on a twelve string, break all of the additional octave strings, and walla...you have a tremolo system that might be comparable to an Ibanez Edge. ;P
Old 05-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLamer View Post
Put it on a twelve string, break all of the additional octave strings, and walla...you have a tremolo system that might be comparable to an Ibanez Edge. ;P
You should let the Ibanez Edge trem people know, maybe they will build you one.
I don't think they will sell a lot though! The Stepmax is not a floating system so there is NO comparison. All tremolos have issues and always will, you pick the one with the least issues, or the one you are used to or the good looking one, what ever you desire. Its like beer there is no bad beer only the ones you don't like, or there would be only one brewery. Savvy!!

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Trem Posts LonePhantom Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 12 05-02-2008 10:52 AM
old RG or new Saber (questions regarding trem) andY.gR Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 6 12-26-2005 01:16 AM
Locking trem studs on the new trems Drew Comments to Ibanez 20 07-19-2003 03:37 PM
guys, plez help me with my new rg 450 trem lock rainss Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 9 06-04-2002 06:51 AM
Knife edges/trem posts - JS1000 Idiot Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 31 05-22-2002 06:05 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29