Ibanez JEM Forum banner
20K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mecca777 
#1 ·
Ok... so my friend is coming from the States, and i'm thinking about asking to bring a humbucker... I'll use it for my strat, but as soon as get an RG, i'll move the pickup to it... So it has to be F-spaced... Will a Fspaced work on a normal trem guitar like a strat? I'm considering a dimarzio or a duncan. Pickups i have in mind are a Duncan Custom, Duncan Distortion or Fred. Any suggestions are welcome. Another question... are Evolution's available with gold pole peices? or only in the 7VWH? If i can't decide on a humbucker, i'll probably go for a set of texas's specials ( expensive :( ). Cause I dream of an RG with purple Dimarzio's. And a purple one would not look good on my black, with gold pickguard and white single coil strat. Is it just me or Dimarzios match Ibanez guitars the same way Duncas match Strats? It just seems wrong to my head, Dimarzio + strat... Of course this is a purely cosmetic, and and "pointless" comment... Ah... sorry for the excessive nonsense, what i seek is what everybody seeks... TONE... decent tone for my guitars ;)

#6 ·
Bridge Humbucker for Strat

Tone Zone or a PAF Pro. I used a PAF Pro in my Custom Shop strat and it sounded really good with the Texas Specials in the mid and neck position.

The other thing you'll need to think about is the wiring schematic. The 5-ways in strats are a lot different than those which you'll find in an RG or Jem. I used a mega switch and tried to get as colse to the split five wiring as I could (realizing of course that the neck pickup was not humbucking.)

On the JB, I had one in my first RG550 and it worked really well.

The F-Spacing doesn't make that much of a difference - it's been talked about a thousand times, but doesn't the F stand for Fender anyhow? (I may be wrong)

One last note - the old "Floyd Rose Classic" strats came with a PAF Pro as stock equipment.

(Edited by kirk at 10:33 am on June 16, 2001)

#11 ·
Bridge Humbucker for Strat

Quote: from Karmann on 5:14 pm on June 15, 2001
Ok... so my friend is coming from the States, and i'm thinking about asking to bring a humbucker... I'll use it for my strat, but as soon as get an RG, i'll move the pickup to it... So it has to be F-spaced... Will a Fspaced work on a normal trem guitar like a strat? I'm considering a dimarzio or a duncan. Pickups i have in mind are a Duncan Custom, Duncan Distortion or Fred. Any suggestions are welcome. Another question... are Evolution's available with gold pole peices? or only in the 7VWH? If i can't decide on a humbucker, i'll probably go for a set of texas's specials ( expensive :( ). Cause I dream of an RG with purple Dimarzio's. And a purple one would not look good on my black, with gold pickguard and white single coil strat. Is it just me or Dimarzios match Ibanez guitars the same way Duncas match Strats? It just seems wrong to my head, Dimarzio + strat... Of course this is a purely cosmetic, and and "pointless" comment... Ah... sorry for the excessive nonsense, what i seek is what everybody seeks... TONE... decent tone for my guitars ;)
About ten yers ago i replaced the brige pickup from my Strat with an Gibson Dirty Fingers humkucker
And it sounds great i have used it on stage and also lots of times in the studio ( i do use hughes & kettner tube amps & celestion speakers 4*12 & boss overdrive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.