cable/guitar jack pretty much falls out of the input jack - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:58 AM

cable/guitar jack pretty much falls out of the input jack

Im on a JEM7VW

The guitar jack/cable which goes to the amp from the guitar (you know, when you plug it in to play), is basically falling out of the guitars input jack and im looking for a way to tighten what holds it inside or any ways besides using velcro to correct it.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:37 AM

Sounds like the prong inside the jack(don't know the technical term) needs to be bent back a bit. I've had this same problem before.

Just take off the control cavity cover, or remove the jack altogether if you have to, and slightly bend it back in, so it will catch the indent on the cable plug.

If that doesn't work, just replace the jack. Pretty easy fix.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:11 AM

The Jem has an enclosed barrel style jack, and can't be tightened. You'll have to replace the jack. Overall it's a poor design with an average lifespan of about 10 years. The traditional fender style jacks are going strong 50 years later, and can be reconditioned countless times. But the barrell style jack just looks so cool its irresistable to guitar designers. Plus you can design cool recessed things like they do on the Jem, JS, and S guitars.

That's one part where Korea's version is arguably better than a switchcraft or a Japanese version. They designed theirs with a nylon cushion that's more durable than just relying on the spring-back of the metal alone. It's available from Mighty Mite, and both Sam Ash and Guitar Center carry it in their fake brand name parts, because those are all Mighty Mite parts.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:28 AM

Sorry, didn't realise that you cant tighten barrel jacks! Haven't had any trouble with the one's I have, so I never had to mess with them!

Oh well, still an easy, but annoying, fix...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:12 PM

thanks

i'm upset the design doesn't have any way to fix tighness issues since it's a new guitar. i tried taking the jack out to tighted it a few months ago then i realized there is absolutely no way without breaking it to tighten it without breaking the prongs by hand.

guess i will have to use velcro.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:29 PM

Well, I guess you could use velcro, but we're telling you to replace it. If its new and under warranty you can go that route. It was obviously a bad jack. They're cheap parts to replace so it's understandable that they wouldn't build in "user serviceability". The only user servicing that you can do is to replace it. It's less than the cost of a couple packs of strings. I don't think you listed your location, so forgive me if you're in a part of the world where small parts are hard to get, or not available.

Tags
cavity cover , sam ash

Show/Hide Posting Rules