<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:35 AM

Question

Choice of paint for swirl?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would like to share the type of paint they use for swirling? Maybe where you buy it from also? Any tips for using the paint because of thinkness?

I heard of Testers, Plasti-kote and Rustloeum has an oil based enamal at Lowes.

Thanyou in advance..
Old 08-31-2008, 02:17 AM

Re: Choice of paint for swirl?

im pretty sure any oil based paint would work, you can get them at an art supplies store or something like that.

do a search im pretty sure its been discussed
Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 AM

Be prepared to experiment for awhile.It took me months to get anything somewhat okay and years to get something really acceptable.But I'm pretty picky.Alot of fun when you finally get it down.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:51 PM

Cool I have a Jem that I bought a couple months ago. Its white and Im about to swirl paint it. I just got back from the art store and I have 4 tubes of oil paint. So now what do I do? Should I get a bucket of water and just squeeze all the paint in and then dip my guitar in? I dont know how to take it apart but water shouldnt hurt it. Not if I do it real fast. Wish me luck guys...

OK, HAHA, I was just messing with you.... What kind of paints do you MusicDr? Maybe you could send me a message. THX
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM

Why dont you guys just tell me what you use instead of beating around the bush. This is a forum not a Magic show. Your sopost to help people.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:54 PM
(a)

I used artist tube oil paint for mine. With grade 2 thinner. Borax here and there.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/my...mpt-75371.html
Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 PM

Cool

You have to be kidding me. I know that cant be right. You need a hard finish and artist tube paint cant do that. I have thought about using Rustoleum Oil based emanel from Lowes. White comes in flat, satin and gloss. I asked the guy at lowes and he said NORMALY Lowes wont add color to Rustoleum paint. But he said they could. That should work?

Has anyone tried it before?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoison View Post
You have to be kidding me. I know that cant be right. You need a hard finish and artist tube paint cant do that. I have thought about using Rustoleum Oil based emanel from Lowes. White comes in flat, satin and gloss. I asked the guy at lowes and he said NORMALY Lowes wont add color to Rustoleum paint. But he said they could. That should work?

Has anyone tried it before?
Artist oil paint is what I used. From a tube.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 AM

I keep hearing people say you need flat oil enamel. Rustoleum at lowes is that. Also I have noticed Swirl Sellers list there colors. They use Generic names and list only a few. Now if I was a seller? I would list all the colors available unless I was having the paint mixed specific. Then I would state what I have.

So my conclusion is people use mixed colors in larger quanities. Yes I can see people mixing artist oils just to experiment. But not for putting on a guitar body.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 AM

Plus Rustomleum is UV protected. So the color overtime wont fade. Does anyone know what Clears can be put on a oil based paint? Something that wont lift the color? Thankyou
Old 09-01-2008, 12:37 AM
(a)

Different swirlers use different paints. Some use auto.... some use enamel... some use artist oil.... and some use acrylic. All of which can work. Not much paint is needed for a guitar so its not impossible to use artist tube oil paint. And..... I did.

As far as other types go... enamel I found got very sticky and dried very quickly on the water. Acrylic requires a lengthy and tiresome process of thickening the water. Am yet to try Auto paints. Also FYI the original Ibanez swirls by ATD do fade.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
So now what do I do? Should I get a bucket of water and just squeeze all the paint in and then dip my guitar in?
Quote:
Why dont you guys just tell me what you use instead of beating around the bush. This is a forum not a Magic show. Your sopost to help people.
Quote:
You have to be kidding me. I know that cant be right.
Quote:
I keep hearing people say you need flat oil enamel. Rustoleum at lowes is that. Also I have noticed Swirl Sellers list there colors. They use Generic names and list only a few. Now if I was a seller?
Quote:
Does anyone know what Clears can be put on a oil based paint? Something that wont lift the color? Thankyou
too much free agression and rage.
all those swirl paint type threads should be prohibited by federal law.
sorry.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdr View Post
Be prepared to experiment for awhile.It took me months to get anything somewhat okay and years to get something really acceptable.But I'm pretty picky.Alot of fun when you finally get it down.
best advice ever.
IF someone wants to swirl your guitar, using the 'right paint' don't guarantee it's gonna be a good or acceptable swirl.
do not exist the right paint, just the right swirler.
sorry.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 AM

Then if its the magic of the swirler? Why is paint such a hush, hush topic. I know it may have took you guys time and money but. Thats the purpose of this forum. There should be stickys at the top explaining this process to the fullest. Every swirl guy on THE BAY... Isnt that good. Even Perle/Nate isnt that good. I have seen his work and only 3-4 of all the ones on his website I approve of. So thats talent or he just got lucky. And I say its ladder of the two.

So since everyone says hes a so called swirl expert? I feel that anyone can swirl. Its a matter of the paint and technique. So thats why you all dont want to talk about paint. Its not rocket science!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 AM

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...te/301back.jpg

This is one of Nates latest... I Just have to say.. Wow.. Anyone Can Cook !

Tags
swirl

Show/Hide Posting Rules