<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods

Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM
(a)

Question

Chrome paint - anyone tried it ?

Im doing a new JEM style project guitar and my first choice this time is chrome paint.
has anyone tried this ?
I can find both very expensive options - mirra chrome from alsa corp
and cheap option like simoniz's chrome paint in a can.....

so - any recommendations ?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Re: Chrome paint - anyone tried it ?

I tried some chrome spray from halfords. Absolute crap, i managed to do the switch tip on my strat and that was about it, it just looks silver.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:06 AM

dont use paints. chrome plating is the best way to go.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 AM

I don't know how they can get away with having the cap of the spray can all looking like chrome when what comes out is just silver. Sort of a misrepresentation of the product. The only one that might work, from what I've read on hobby forums is this stuff called Metalcast. I've seen it in auto part stores too. It's complicated to apply from what I've read.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 AM

metalcast is colors on metal.. no chrome..

try chrome from alcald.. there in hobby shops and the chrome is on par with alsa but you will need a airbrush
Old 09-27-2006, 11:43 AM

I saw one guy post a pic of his custom Jem... he actually wrapped the guitar in a chrome vinyle adhesive wrap (but you have to sand the finish off before hand). Then, he gave it a clear coat a few times and added a mirror pickguard. It actually looked pretty good. He used white binding along the side of the guitar to cover up any little mistakes when cutting the vinyl for the front, back, and sides.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:27 PM

Can you clear over foil or film? That would be pretty cheap.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
I saw one guy post a pic of his custom Jem... he actually wrapped the guitar in a chrome vinyle adhesive wrap (but you have to sand the finish off before hand). Then, he gave it a clear coat a few times and added a mirror pickguard. It actually looked pretty good. He used white binding along the side of the guitar to cover up any little mistakes when cutting the vinyl for the front, back, and sides.
dayumm... thats a nifty idea. I have some brushed chrome film...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
(a)

hmmmm, thanks for the suggestion but I would definately prefer paint...
im also investigating plating at the moment but I think that cant be done on wood....
It can be done on plastic so there must be a way top "polymerize" the wood first.....

I cant find that alcald chrome anywhere - including the bay.....
the pint kit of mirra chrome in the UK is £250
Old 09-28-2006, 03:01 PM

I've used the Duplicolor Anodize-it paint. You buy the base, spray that on, then spray color over it. I actually like the look of the base alone, though its not chrome. I had a difficult time applying the color evenly over it. Then I clear coated, spilled some gas on it, and it all came off. Rather disappointed.

I've used the spray on chrome a number of times too, and it is basically silver paint. Perhaps if you could sand it really smooth it might look like chrome. The stuff wears very easily on plastic, wood, and metal, so be prepared to clear over it.

If I were looking for a cool chrome like finish, I'd try the following (cut out to the shape of the guitar):

1) mirrored acrylic. It's clear acrylic with a mirror layer on one side. I've used this for pickguards, and it works well. Fairly easy to work with, all you need is a jigsaw and a dremel and some sand paper. It does scratch though, probably slightly more than the stock finish on a guitar.

2) Polished metal. I've been playing with this and haven't gotten really great results yet. I've tried aluminum sheet mostly, sanding it, then using steel wool, and then polishing compound to get it really shiny. Looks great. Unfortunately it will oxidize or tarnish, so it needs to be coated with *something* but I haven't found anything that doesn't make the metal look slightly hazy.

Tags
clear coat, custom jem, steel wool

Show/Hide Posting Rules